Changes to carry-on regulations

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited January 6, 2010 in Cameras
Just in case anybody who may be travelling hasn't seen this - carry-on regs have changed again and apparently flights INTO the US from abroad (including Canada) are now restricting carry on to one small item, ie purse, laptop etc etc. Domestic flights remain unchanged, I believe, but probably best to check first.

For those carrying camera gear this could make a significant difference. Just passin' it on!

http://www.tsa.gov/

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    divamum wrote:
    Just in case anybody who may be travelling hasn't seen this - carry-on regs have changed again and apparently flights INTO the US from abroad (including Canada) are now restricting carry on to one small item, ie purse, laptop etc etc. Domestic flights remain unchanged, I believe, but probably best to check first.

For those carrying camera gear this could make a significant difference. Just passin' it on!

http://www.tsa.gov/

Especially since last I heard from a traveling freind that TSA was still cutting locks off luggage instead of unlocking them (speaking of TSA approved locks here)....ofcourse a TSA approved lock just might be one that is softer and easier to cut:D
    Guess it might be time to get HUGE PELICAN case to pack gear in..........damn terrorists anyway!!!!!!!
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    Art Scott wrote:
    ..........damn terrorists anyway!!!!!!!
    You mean the TSA with that right?
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Mr EddyMr Eddy Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    Pretty sure that the restrictions are a Canadian specific thing...

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/h001e-5791.htm

"Transport Canada reaffirmed today that recent additional security measures at Canadian Airports for flights to the United States remain in place until further notice.

Passengers travelling to the United States are not allowed to bring carry on bags into the cabin of the aircraft, with some exceptions."

From what I can tell, it doesn't affect people coming from other places. Can't find anything on the TSA or Qantas site.
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    I flew on the 1st with my camera backpack with no problems. They didn't even look inside it. ne_nau.gif
    People also had the usual "way too big" bags in the overhead as well.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    Really sucks,
    TSA is mandating that every individual flying into the U.S. from anywhere in the world traveling from or through nations that are state sponsors of terrorism or other countries of interest will be required to go through enhanced screening. The directive also increases the use of enhanced screening technologies and mandates threat-based and random screening for passengers on U.S. bound international flights.

from their site.

So is that mainly for inbound from countries of conflict or "conflict of interest?"

I don't travel to "hotspots", but I do travel internationally frequently so this might be a problem for me. :(
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • JonnyyayaJonnyyaya Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    Flying today No problem with a Expedition 7 in the USA...
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    From the UK and other European countries, it's a one bag rule but standard sized cabin bags are still allowed. I've heard of this being waived for travelers in business and first (but don't rely on this). It's not so much a TSA mandate as the effort an airport can put into secondary screening which involves security staff opening and eyeballing all carry on baggage. For what it's worth, I've put my thoughts on how to deal with it in my blog:

http://jasonhindle.wordpress.com/2010/01/06/flying-into-the-age-of-exploding-underpants/

I look forward to trying to travel under the new rules (it's a PITA for me because I've invested in a larger body/bigger glass in the last year) and hope they don't extend these measures to other international travel.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    Mr Eddy wrote:
    Pretty sure that the restrictions are a Canadian specific thing...

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/h001e-5791.htm

"Transport Canada reaffirmed today that recent additional security measures at Canadian Airports for flights to the United States remain in place until further notice.

Passengers travelling to the United States are not allowed to bring carry on bags into the cabin of the aircraft, with some exceptions."

From what I can tell, it doesn't affect people coming from other places. Can't find anything on the TSA or Qantas site.

I'm not sure if it's only Canada, but they're certainly jumping in with considerable zeal.

These days one should ALWAYS triple (quadruple) check restrictions right before flying since they change with alarming frequency and vary according to carrier, destination, and point of origination. I've learned this the hard way (if you've ever been stuck repacking your bags at the checkin desk, you tend to get fairly OCD on this point DAMHIK rolleyes1.gif)