Options

hotmail blocking my IP addy... what do I do?

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited January 8, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I just got a couple of emails I had sent to clients with hotmail addy's returned with a note from hotmail stating this:
host mx2.hotmail.com[65.54.188.94] said: 550
SC-004 Mail rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for policy reasons. A block
has been placed against your IP address because we have received complaints
concerning mail coming from that IP address. If you are not an
email/network admin please contact your E-mail/Internet Service Provider
for help. Email/network admins, we recommend enrolling in our Junk E-Mail
Reporting Program (JMRP), a free program intended to help senders remove
unwanted recipients from their e-mail list: [URL="mhtml:{4A7CCE5C-ED7C-40C6-B40F-6FB5991E9427}mid://00000135/!x-usc:http://postmaster.live.com/"]http://postmaster.live.com[/URL] (in
reply to MAIL FROM command)

Now what am I supposed to do? I am quite sure that the quoted paragraph is not in English.... and neither is the "help" page.

I think this could possibly be the result of my one and only email campaign where I sent out a cupon for my smuggy site over a month ago. I sent it to all previous customers... and that was it. But perhaps someone junked it, and hotmail took it that I was sending spam out there. Which technically, I suppose I was attempting to create business so it could be considered spam.

Meanwhile... I have to have the ability to connect with my hotmail users... But what steps do I take to make hotmail like me again?

Comments

• Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    Well... got it fixed. I emailed my internet provider and they fixed it for me. :D
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    In the future, if you have e-mail that might be junked, you might head to the library or a friend's house and use their computer. I assume you use either MTA DSL or GCI Cable? I'm not sure about GCI but a bunch of MTA's higher-end DSL packages recently changed to come with a static IP (one that never changes). If your IP was blocked in that case, you'd HAVE to contact them and get it changed. With the lower-end packages that don't have a static IP all you'd have to do is reboot your modem and it would automatically get a new IP.

A temporary solution while you're blocked is to e-mail from somewhere else, or from a phone, or such. Or if you're inclined to solve your problems technologically, you could try the Tor Browser. :D

In computers, there is ALWAYS a way to get it done. rolleyes1.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com