Options

Zero Lot Line

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited January 7, 2010 in Street and Documentary
Wasn't sure if I should post it here, but it shows the effect of urban sprawl.
This seems to be happening more and more in my neighborhood causing steam to come out of my head. Don't know what to do about the problem as I don't have the money to grease the proper wheels, so I took photos:dunno .

Developers keep buying up single, two family and three family homes, demolishing them and putting up these horrible roach motel boxy buildings that house many apartments. They will build all the way to the edge of the property, in some cases people can reach out their bedroom window and touch the building next door--
The second house shows a duplex, the Italian lady refused to sell her half so they just sawed the house in half and.....

Not my usual shots I know--bare with me, just venting.

758330966_z5QJa-XL.jpg

758328169_UC5Fs-XL-1.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    First thing to check into the is building code for how close a building can be to another one. Here we have a 8 or 10 ft. rule...maybe more. Can't reach out and touch the others house that's for sure.

Looks really to close to me -- wonder what the fire dept. thinks of it. Research....you'll learn alot what your city/town can do.

Why would people want to live that close to each other???? I love my neighbors, but a little distance is a good thing.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited January 7, 2010
    Dogdots wrote:
    Why would people want to live that close to each other???? I love my neighbors, but a little distance is a good thing.

North Dakota meet New York City rolleyes1.gif

population of Manhattan (1 of 5 boroughs) 1.5 million people in 22 square miles

population of N Dakota (entire state) 642,000 people in 69,000 square miles
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    Angelo wrote:

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

There is a difference :D
  • Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    HI Liz.......Maybe you should move west.......:D You might look into AZ...I live on a road that is mile long with 5 houses on one side and nobody on the other :D azzaro
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2010
    Dogdots wrote:
    First thing to check into the is building code for how close a building can be to another one. Here we have a 8 or 10 ft. rule...maybe more. Can't reach out and touch the others house that's for sure.

Looks really to close to me -- wonder what the fire dept. thinks of it. Research....you'll learn alot what your city/town can do.

Why would people want to live that close to each other

Mary,
    you saved this from "0"' response hell:D . Our neighbor next door is frail and very old and I don't know how much time he has left in this world, and the New Yorker in me is thinking, oh no who is he leaving his house to and are they going to sell to developers!!!

BTW the lady with the duplex fought it tooth and nail attorneys and all and you see the result. Funny thing is these little houses are not cheap, they sell for roughly $700k to a little over a million depending on 2 family three family and finished basement, it is not a poor neighborhood, but it is highly immigrant and they usually don't fight things.

This wouldn't fly in other neighborhoods, I know, I've seen it.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2010
    Angelo wrote:

I have my complaints--but um no thank you on North Dakota:D . Though there are days I'd like to avoid the human species and it's very hard to do here.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2010
    Azzaro wrote:
    HI Liz.......Maybe you should move west.......:D You might look into AZ...I live on a road that is mile long with 5 houses on one side and nobody on the other :D azzaro

I've seen your shots from around your house in cool shots --Yes I'm envious--You have killer views and lots of open spaces, and horses, but I'd go crazy there with all that solituderolleyes1.gif .

NYC keeps me on my toes--and gives me something to complain about:D .
    Liz A.
    _________