Snow clouds gathering over Portsmouth Harbour

PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
edited January 6, 2010 in Landscapes
Driving over the top of Portsdown hill, I was captivated by the scene. The tide was in and threatening snow clouds had gathered.
I particularly like this image as it is rich in colour yet gives off an ominous aura of what is to come.
For those not familiar with Portsmouth UK, we very RARELY see snow of any significance in the winter. The snow that this storm brought caused chaos on the roads. We had about 6 inches overnight and again some more this morning. Another load of snow is expected over the next couple of days. To compound this, the local weather forecast is for the temperature to fall to -16C tonight.

758384818_AthrP-XL.jpg
This image comprises 18 individual portrait format shots. All hand-held. Camera settings were maintained the same for each of the shots. The images were stitched together in Photoshop. The composite image file is 480Mb so this image only has a fraction of the detail recorded.
The camera used was the Olympus E3 fitted with the Sigma 50-500 at a focal length of 113mm.
Hope you like it and any comments would be welcome.

Comments

• Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    Oh THAT Portsmouth Harbor. :D My mind immediately went to the New Hampshire harbor I used to work on an island in. This would be its namesake and it's a terrific, all-encompassing view.
  • Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    That's a pretty amazing effort handheld. Very nice.
  • PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    Oh THAT Portsmouth Harbor. :D My mind immediately went to the New Hampshire harbor I used to work on an island in. This would be its namesake and it's a terrific, all-encompassing view.

Thank you for your kind comments. I include a pano taken on a bright day which gives a clearer view of the Harbour. Portsmouth is the land to the left, Gosport is to the right and the Isle of Wight is in the distance beyound the harbour mouth.
    510938835_2dNZ8-XL-1.jpg
  • PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    Nikonic1 wrote:
    That's a pretty amazing effort handheld. Very nice.

Thank you for your kind comment. Shooting Panos can be quite addictive - perhaps it should come with a Government Health warning:D.