Canon 70-200 F4 or 2.8

wats005wats005 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited January 6, 2010 in Cameras
Hello,

I am looking at picking up a 70-200 lens but I am unsure which one I should get. I was originally looking at the 2.8 IS but in addition to being more expensive it is also heavier. Also I have seen that many pros that travel use the f4 more so than the 2.8.

I will mainly be using this for travel photography, which to me comes down to a little of everything because I travel for a living. My next major trip is Monanco in March and I would like to have this lens purchased by then. I know that the 2.8 II is on its way out, and have read the thread on that but do not think it will be out in time.

So I will put it to you all.....which is better and why?
Erica

Still Learning.......

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited January 6, 2010
    I do use the f4L IS for travel, unless I know I will be shooting indoors. In that case, indoor shoots, I take the F2.8L (non-IS), because the focus is faster and more accurate (in low light) and I can shoot at faster shutter speeds if needed (at the larger aperture). IS will not prevent subject movement due to slow shutter speeds, but a larger aperture can help both camera shake and subject movement with faster shutter speeds. With the f2.8 aperture I haven't felt the need for IS.

For me, the f4 is a travel standard, but the f2.8 is a nice option when needed.

The hood of the f2.8 causes more problems for me than the lens. The f2.8 lens itself fits the same position as the f4 IS with hood reversed. When I take the f2.8 I carry the hood on a tether outside the bag, and that's unfortunate. (Sometimes I stick that hood into another holster bag, and then nest other items into that.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • photokandyphotokandy Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    I use my 70-200 F/4 IS all the time and love it. I considered the F/2.8 IS and non-IS versions, but I fell in love with the F/4 IS from the first minute I held it.

It is a great travel lens -- being smaller and lighter than the 2.8 equivalent, but you lose a stop of light which IS does not compensate for (still objects, yes, but not moving objects). Even so, I've been able to take good inside shots at F/4 assuming either decent light + high ISO, or a decent flash.

If money permitted, I'd love to grab a F/2.8 IS version, but I'd still only travel with my F/4 for pure weight and size reasons. IQ is fantastic, and if I'm traveling, I'm unlikely to be shooting indoors... I like to be outside! ;-) (And if I am inside... well... I have my 50 1.8 and my feet.)

Now, if it was a paying gig, I'd pick up a 2.8 IS in a heartbeat. It'd just give me that much more flexibility. But traveling for pleasure? I'd stick with the F/4.
    ~ Kerri, photoKandy Studios ( Facebook | Twitter )

Need customization services? View our packages or see our templates.

Note: I won't be offended if you edit my photo and repost it on dgrin -- I'm always open to new interpretations
    and ideas, and any helpful hints, tips, and/or critiques are welcome. Just don't post the edit anywhere else
    but dgrin, please.

My Gear List