Grandfather clock commission photo's

Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
edited January 10, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Greetings,

Recently completed, the clients supplied the clock works and asked me to make them a case.

The wood is solid cherry.

No PP'ing to any reflections.....

Clockthreequarterprofile-1.jpg

Bottommoulding.jpg

Topmoulding.jpg

Doorhandle.jpg

One of the more difficult pieces I've shot, I ended up using a circular polarizer and 2 x B1600's.

I removed the outer cover of the softboxes and bounced the light off the ceiling.

C & C ?

Cheers, Don

Comments

• Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    Hello Don

The photography is terrific but the craftsmanship is superb! clap.gifclap.gif Workmanship like this is unfortunately a dying art. Thankfully there are a few folks like you carrying on the tradition.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    Beautiful work on both counts!!! Glad you kept the natural color of the cherry; it is such a beautiful wood.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    Hi Don,

Those are certainly good shots of your production. That clock case, though, is in another world. It's so simple and straight forward, yet so very, very elegant. It's, without question, one of the most beautiful clocks I've ever seen....and I've seen quite a few.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    Thank you Very much gentlemen for your comments,

I can credit this piece with taking my product photography to another level.

Shortly after starting the project I was unable to work in the shop for a year and a half will waiting for a carpal tunnel operation (100% successful thank you).

To keep my sanity I began working with continuous and then strobe lighting in anticipation of shooting this piece mwink.gif

And it taught me a few more things during the shoot....

Cheers, Don
  • lilirishangellilirishangel Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    Don Kondra wrote:
    Greetings,

Recently completed, the clients supplied the clock works and asked me to make them a case.

The wood is solid cherry.

No PP'ing to any reflections.....

Clockthreequarterprofile-1.jpg

Bottommoulding.jpg

Topmoulding.jpg

Doorhandle.jpg

One of the more difficult pieces I've shot, I ended up using a circular polarizer and 2 x B1600's.

I removed the outer cover of the softboxes and bounced the light off the ceiling.

C & C ?

Cheers, Don

Whats beautiful Piece of work...Amazing...
    "MOTIVATION WILL ALMOST ALWAYS BEAT MERE TALENT." Anonymous

www.snaploonphotography.com
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    I agree -- your craftsmanship is superb thumb.gif My Dad was a craftsman too, but he never made a Grandfathers clock...only smaller clocks.