Used pro-ish DSLR recommendation

FlorinFlorin Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited January 8, 2010 in Cameras
Hello! I would like to buy a used pro-ish DSLR and I could use some advice. What can I get for $200? :rofl:wink

I shoot film and this will be my first DSLR camera. Yeah, I know, I'm a little slow!:D I am saving money for a Rolleiflex TLR so I don’t want to spend more than $200 for my first DSLR.

I was thinking Nikon D1. I don’t mind the 2.7MP. I will use Carl Zeiss lens (M42 mount) with an adapter (I really like manual focus and Carl Zeiss lens :clap ). Since I will be using my Carl Zeiss glass the lens available for the camera are not that important. :D 90% of the time I will shoot outdoors. What do you think?

Thanks!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited January 6, 2010
    Florin wrote:
    Hello! I would like to buy a used pro-ish DSLR and I could use some advice. What can I get for $200? rolleyes1.gifwink

I shoot film and this will be my first DSLR camera. Yeah, I know, I'm a little slow!:D I am saving money for a Rolleiflex TLR so I don’t want to spend more than $200 for my first DSLR.

I was thinking Nikon D1. I don’t mind the 2.7MP. I will use Carl Zeiss lens (M42 mount) with an adapter (I really like manual focus and Carl Zeiss lens clap.gif ). Since I will be using my Carl Zeiss glass the lens available for the camera are not that important. :D 90% of the time I will shoot outdoors. What do you think?

Thanks!

Florin, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

I have to ask what, in particular, you intend to use the camera for?

Does high ISO matter?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • FlorinFlorin Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited January 6, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Florin, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

I have to ask what, in particular, you intend to use the camera for?

Does high ISO matter?
    Glad to be here ziggy53. :D

I will not use the DSLR camera to bring home the bacon, if that's what you're asking. Amateur use is more up my alley. I'm thinking used pro rather than new-ish amateur model because I like to experiment and try a lot of settings.

High ISO would be nice but I know you can't have them all.

I am open to other suggestions besides Nikon and Canon.

Thanks!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited January 6, 2010
    Since you mentioned the use of M42 mount lenses, Nikon is generally not practical because a simple adapter would not allow infinity focus and I'm not aware of any quality optical adapters. The problem is that Nikon has a longer lens flange to film plane distance than would allow a simple adapter.

Canon, on the other hand, has a shorter lens flange to film plane distance and allows the use of a simple mechanical adapter with infinity focus. I have 2 such adapters to use with old Pentax M42 lenses and they have an additional "chip" to allow focus confirmation and automated exposure.

Recommended Canon cameras would include (typical used price under/around $200USD):

10D
    20D
    Original Digital Rebel/300D
    Rebel XT/350D

I'm afraid the true professional models, like a Canon 1D, still tend to sell for around $400-$500, depending on the condition.

Here are some Canon examples from my setup, many using the XT/350D:

71544416-D.jpg
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=34881

554047630_fzsda-XL-1.jpg
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1126808&postcount=16

100412283-D.jpg
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=44153

82051204-D.jpg
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=38398
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited January 6, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Since you mentioned the use of M42 mount lenses, Nikon is generally not practical because a simple adapter would not allow infinity focus and I'm not aware of any quality optical adapters. The problem is that Nikon has a longer lens flange to film plane distance than would allow a simple adapter.

Canon, on the other hand, has a shorter lens flange to film plane distance and allows the use of a simple mechanical adapter with infinity focus. I have 2 such adapters to use with old Pentax M42 lenses and they have an additional "chip" to allow focus confirmation and automated exposure.

Recommended Canon cameras would include (typical used price under/around $200USD):

10D
    20D
    Original Digital Rebel/300D
    Rebel XT/350D

I'm afraid the true professional models, like a Canon 1D, still tend to sell for around $400-$500, depending on the condition.
    Thank you very much for your post, ziggy53. I did not know that. This is the kind of info I was looking for. I have a Canon EOS 3000V for my film fun. Never tried the M42 lens on Nikons.

You are right about the Canon 1D. Haven't seen them under $400. The 10D was already on my list. I'll keep looking and reading!

Thanks a lot!
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    A coworker just bought a mint fuji S2 pro for 250 bucks off ebay. Great OOC jpegs, nice high ISO etc....
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    You may find a Pentax *ist DL in your price range. A Pentax K10D would not be much more.

Pentax has the 'green' button that allows you to meter with older manual lenses. With a proper adapter, you'd be in business. Check pentaxforums.com for specifics. thumb.gif
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    Another benefit of going canon is that your Canon EOS 3000v lenses would work on the Canons.
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    My first DSLR was a Nikon D50. I would suggest trying to find one of those little gems...loved that thing! (Prefer it over a newer D40, 90% of the time)
    edited January 7, 2010
    kini62 wrote:
    A coworker just bought a mint fuji S2 pro for 250 bucks off ebay. Great OOC jpegs, nice high ISO etc....
    dpreview.com says that the Fuji has the Nikon F mount lens thread. If ziggy53 is right, I would have the same problems with my Carl Zeiss M42 lens mounted on a Nikon D1.
    Grainbelt wrote:
    You may find a Pentax *ist DL in your price range. A Pentax K10D would not be much more.

Pentax has the 'green' button that allows you to meter with older manual lenses. With a proper adapter, you'd be in business. Check pentaxforums.com for specifics. thumb.gif

I will definitely check out the Pentax K10D. I saw that it has image stabilization. If the Pentax IS works well it might be the perfect camera for me. I doubt I will find one in the $200 price range.
    Toshido wrote:
    Another benefit of going canon is that your Canon EOS 3000v lenses would work on the Canons.

Sold them all. It's tough being a Carl Zeiss junkie because the drugs don't come cheap. :cry
    My first DSLR was a Nikon D50. I would suggest trying to find one of those little gems...loved that thing! (Prefer it over a newer D40, 90% of the time)

Same problem mentioned to kini62. If I have to go Nikon, might as well be a D1.

Thank you all for your replies! thumb.gif
    edited January 8, 2010
    Bought a Canon EOS 10D today.

Thank you all for your help!thumb.gif