Options

Sigma 70-300mm ~ APO vs non-APO?

tipsinartoktipsinartok Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
edited January 10, 2010 in Cameras
I just got some unexpected cash for Christmas and I really want to spend it on a lens. I did post another thread before Christmas about camera gear to get and was given suggestions for books, DVD's, etc. since my budget is small. I ended up getting a couple of books. But with a family and all the other expenses that come into play, it's rare for me to have a chunk of cash to spend all at once, whereas it's easier to occasionally buy another book. So I'd like to spend this on a lens. I'd like a telezoom, as that's where I tend to feel the most limited right now. The Canon 55-250mm was suggested in the other thread, but I haven't found a used one within my budget (I have about $200 to spend, though could likely add in a bit more if needed, though not too much, we have a baby coming in less than two months. And saving up for a nicer one just doesn't happen, the money ends up getting spent on something else needed with the intention to pay myself back and so on and so forth.)

I have been reading about the Sigma 70-300mm, and wonder if it might be a good one to go for? I can get a brand new one, non-APO, for $190, or a new APO one for just over $300. Not sure if the APO one is feasible for us right now, but I can't figure out what the difference between the two really is. I don't need a lens for taking pro quality shots or anything, I just want a lens that will take decent pictures for going out to the zoo, or that I can take shots of the little juncos that visit our back yard, or the cool mushrooms growing in the trees in the forest nearby. Personal shots, really. Is the non-APO version worth it, or am I better off trying to hold off a little longer and keeping an eye out for the Canon one mentioned above?
Please don't be afraid to critique my photos, I'm here to learn and get better.
Canon XS with kit lens, 50mm f/1.8, 55-250mm f/5-5.6, 420EX external flash

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited January 6, 2010
    KEH has 2 used copies of the EF-S 55-250mm, f4-f5.6 IS right now, one in EX condition and one in LN- condition. Both are just over $200USD.

KEH.com

... then "Digital", then "Canon Digital", then "Zoom Lenses"

An "APO" lens is an abbreviation for "apochromatic" and means that extra lens elements are used to control the color qualities of the lens, particularly the color convergence and chroma aberration. Sigma is somewhat more prone to using the term than other manufacturers with the same technology, so it's not like a Sigma APO lens is automatically that much better than, for instance, a Tamron "SP" designated lens. It does generally mean the better Sigma lenses however, so you can use it as a determinant designation of a higher quality Sigma lens, especially against Sigma lenses without the term.

The Canon 55-250mm probably has the best center sharpness wide open, and it also has IS, which will help in some situations.

None of the mentioned lenses are very good indoor lenses, especially if you lack an external flash with an AF assist light. None are going to work well with fast moving subjects either. Still, the Canon 55-250mm is probably a pretty good value amongst these choices. The only problem with the lens is a rather low-end construction, i.e. it won't take a lot of abuse.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    JohnRogJohnRog Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    I happen to have a 55-250 is that I am interested in selling... it's about 2 months old and in pretty much perfect condition. I have the box, receipt, and warranty card. It is a great lens, but not quite long enough for what I want to use it for. I bought it because I managed to get a great deal on it. I'll let it go for 200.00 US + actual shipping charges. I'm pretry new on dgrin so i'm not sure how PM's work, but you can email me @ ajrogers111@gmail.com if you're still looking...
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited January 10, 2010
    JohnRog wrote:
    I happen to have a 55-250 is that I am interested in selling... it's about 2 months old and in pretty much perfect condition. I have the box, receipt, and warranty card. It is a great lens, but not quite long enough for what I want to use it for. I bought it because I managed to get a great deal on it. I'll let it go for 200.00 US + actual shipping charges. I'm pretry new on dgrin so i'm not sure how PM's work, but you can email me @ ajrogers111@gmail.com if you're still looking...

Please use the Flea Market and appropriate sub-forum for buying/selling items. It's OK to mention the item in another thread but do confine any discussion into the Flea Market area.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    tipsinartoktipsinartok Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    Thank you Ziggy for the information! That's helpful. Unfortunately, I forgot to mention I'm in Canada and KEH only ships via UPS, which charges a minimum of $40 for brokerage fees crossing borders. After the taxes and duty too, it adds about $70-$80 to the price of the camera. I love living here except when I'm wanting to shop online! Sounds like the Canon one is the way for me to go though. I'm not looking for one indoors, we have a pretty small house and I've never needed more than my 50mm prime indoors (though I do have an external flash too).

JohnRog, I'll e-mail you but it may still be out of my price range because of the aforementioned taxes, etc., when shipping across the border.
    Please don't be afraid to critique my photos, I'm here to learn and get better.
    Canon XS with kit lens, 50mm f/1.8, 55-250mm f/5-5.6, 420EX external flash
  • Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    Thank you Ziggy for the information! That's helpful. Unfortunately, I forgot to mention I'm in Canada and KEH only ships via UPS, which charges a minimum of $40 for brokerage fees crossing borders. After the taxes and duty too, it adds about $70-$80 to the price of the camera. I love living here except when I'm wanting to shop online! Sounds like the Canon one is the way for me to go though. I'm not looking for one indoors, we have a pretty small house and I've never needed more than my 50mm prime indoors (though I do have an external flash too).

JohnRog, I'll e-mail you but it may still be out of my price range because of the aforementioned taxes, etc., when shipping across the border.

You might want to PM Ann McRae about shipping to Canada from the states. I think I remember a number of threads that she has been involved in that say the faster shipping via UPS is actually cheaper than ground because of NO SEPARATE BROKERAGE FEES. I am in the US and thus have no personal experience.

Jane B.
  • Options
    HeatherWBHeatherWB Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    Another option...
    Another decent (for the money) 70-300 lens is the Tamron 70-300. B&H currently has it for $164.95; used ones can be had for a good bit cheaper than that. :)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/423725-REG/Tamron_AF017C700_70_300mm_f_4_5_6_Di_LD.html

One of the neat things about it is that it will do 1:2 (half life-sized) closeups.

HTH,
    Heather :)
    My blog: Heather's Lightbox
    My pics
    "He who cannot dance will say: "The drum is bad!" --African proverb.