Looking for a walk around lens

insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
edited January 10, 2010 in Cameras
For travel/vacation.

For a D700, I already have 24-70 2.8, 70-300 VR, 50 1.8, 35mm 2.

Target budget $250 (how much I prefer to spend or less)
Max $450 (the max I can go and that is already really pushing it)

Things I like to have, good zoom range, decent IQ, good close focusing distance 1:4 minimum or better, doesn't scream "steal me".

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    You seem to have some really nice glass there. Why would you want to switch over to something considerably slower for travel? Size, weight and cost? I know I'm biased but I'd say rent a 24-120 perhaps?

I just can't see an affordable sub-$500 lens getting much use in the real world (non vacation that is) given you have the 24-70 and the 35 f2. Doesn't seem worth it to buy a "cheap" lens for a vacation but I could be crazy :D
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • NihilationNihilation Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    The 18-105mm kit lens?ne_nau.gif
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    You seem to have some really nice glass there. Why would you want to switch over to something considerably slower for travel? Size, weight and cost? I know I'm biased but I'd say rent a 24-120 perhaps?

I just can't see an affordable sub-$500 lens getting much use in the real world (non vacation that is) given you have the 24-70 and the 35 f2. Doesn't seem worth it to buy a "cheap" lens for a vacation but I could be crazy :D

50 1.8 and 35mm 2, not exactly an all arounder. I might still bring my 35mm 2 anyways.
    24-70 screams "steal me please" not exactly enough range.

I might bring my 70-300mm VR too (if I have too)

Nihilation wrote:
    The 18-105mm kit lens?ne_nau.gif

This is for a D700, I rather use a full frame lens for a full frame body.
  • NihilationNihilation Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    Safe to assume you've already ruled out the option of buying a DX camera kit for this purpose and just leaving the FX at home?
    edited January 6, 2010
    Nihilation wrote:
    Safe to assume you've already ruled out the option of buying a DX camera kit for this purpose and just leaving the FX at home?

Yep

renting is a good idea.
    I am hearing good things about the nikon 28-105 3.5-4.5
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited January 6, 2010
    Doesn't the D700 scream "steal me" all by itself? (... for anyone in the know anyway.)

I use an entry level dSLR and relatively inexpensive third-party f2.8 zoom for those times when theft and/or damage is an issue.

I have been considering using some sort of "cover" for high-end lenses to disguise what they are; something like a "Camera Armor" product might do the job.

If you insist on an inexpensive standard zoom, the Nikkor 24-85mm, f2.8-f4D IF is an OK lens and the Nikkor AF-S 24-85mm, f3.5-f4.5G ED is considered a little better. Both are available used for your price range.

I even found an older 35-70mm, f2.8D Macro for just above your range in EX condition.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    Get a used 28-200 Nikon.
    edited January 6, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Doesn't the D700 scream "steal me" all by itself? (... for anyone in the know anyway.)

Yeah, I know, but there is no way you're gonna pull me away from my baby.
    :D

I guess I can always put some electrical tape on my stuff. In any case I do rather have more range in one lens than my 24-70mm. It's a travel lens, so I can accept some compromises. But not so much as a P&S.
    jonh68 wrote:
    Get a used 28-200 Nikon.

I was just looking into those.

So far I have found

Nikon
    28-105mm 3.5-4.5
    24-120mm 3.5-5.6 VR
    28-200mm 3.5-5.6 (also the tamron version too)
  • jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    Another excellent choice is the Nikkor 28-105. Lots of D700 users at the Nikon Cafe use it as their standard lens on the D700. And it has a very useful 1:2 macro mode.

Best news of all: you can pick one up for < $200. Try KEH.
    edited January 7, 2010
    insanefred wrote:
    Yeah, I know, but there is no way you're gonna pull me away from my baby.
    :D

I guess I can always put some electrical tape on my stuff. In any case I do rather have more range in one lens than my 24-70mm. It's a travel lens, so I can accept some compromises. But not so much as a P&S.

I was just looking into those.

So far I have found

Nikon
    28-105mm 3.5-4.5
    24-120mm 3.5-5.6 VR
    28-200mm 3.5-5.6 (also the tamron version too)

I have not used the 24-120 VR, but the research I have done shows it is and underperformer. The other two would be better choices. Of course, I have not used those either, but my research for the same purpose as you showed those two were good performers.
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    The Tamron 28-300mm 3.5-6.3 VC (with Vibration Reduction) instantly
    comes to mind. VC is very good, sharpness is also quite good. Expect
    vignetting at longer focal lengths. Do not confuse this lens with the old
    non-VC version which is a weak performer. Perfect walk around do it all
    lens, light, black, versatile ... :D
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010

I AGREE WITH THE ABOVE /\ /\ /\

Personally I wouLd be ditching the 70-300 for a 70-200f2.8 ................SIGMA of course......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited January 8, 2010
    Manfr3d wrote:
    The Tamron 28-300mm 3.5-6.3 VC (with Vibration Reduction) instantly
    comes to mind. VC is very good, sharpness is also quite good. Expect
    vignetting at longer focal lengths. Do not confuse this lens with the old
    non-VC version which is a weak performer. Perfect walk around do it all
    lens, light, black, versatile ... :D

I have seriously taken the Tamron in consideration. But unless I can find it on sale, or used, my budget just won't permit :cry.

There is a reason some of us desire a "vacation lens". We just want to enjoy the time with our friends and family rather than lugging a bunch of expensive gear around. I have a nice kit for jobs where I am the photographer or if the scenario requires it.
    Last time I went on vacation, at Seaside, OR, I brought all my lenses. Oh, man, that was a pain in the ass. And didn't necessarily pay off, in fact I kept missing shots because I was switching lenses more often than I took photos!

The Nikon 70-300 VR is one of my favorites (despite 300mm barely cuts it for focal length) it was also a gift from my other half. How would she feel if I sold it for another one? I too desire the Sigma 70-200 2.8, but I am afraid it would just sit in my bag 90% of the time. I'd get a macro lens before a 70-200mm. ne_nau.gif

I think renting is probably the best idea yet. I just rented a 28-105, I will rent 24-120 vr later just to see which one I'd prefer for a vacation lens.
    So far, I am very impressed with the 28-105. The almost macro really does work and it very sharp on the D700 at 5.6 or smaller. thumb.gif
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    For travel, I LOVE primes. They bring some much needed simplicity back to digital photography. Just point, frame and shoot. No having to decide over the best focal length. No multiple versions at 30mm, 70mm, 108.67mm.....

My 50mm 1.4G has been a great pal for trips to the coast and family events. Your 35 f/3 would be my next choice.

I'd say your plenty well covered for travel with your DSLR kit. Sounds to me like you just want something fresh...:D ...might I suggest a Leica M9 or for less padded wallets a Micro 4/3 system.
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    Sigma 18-125. I have the older non-HSM version, and took it as my only lens on a trip to Istanbul, southern Germany and western Germany
  • glockman99glockman99 Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    How about a Nikkor AF-S 18-70mm? That's my "walk-around" lens for my D70, and I love that lens.
    Dann Fassnacht (glockman99)
    Aberdeen, WA USA
    glockman99@hotmail.com
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    glockman99 wrote:
    I'd say your plenty well covered for travel with your DSLR kit. Sounds to me like you just want something fresh...:D ...might I suggest a Leica M9 or for less padded wallets a Micro 4/3 system.

I'd always go with a smaller system for travel, especially given some of the current restrictions and the fact getting your gear through airports is a PITA. If the OP is going on a road trip OTOH, just take the lot.....
    BigAl wrote:
    Sigma 18-125. I have the older non-HSM version, and took it as my only lens on a trip to Istanbul, southern Germany and western Germany

Way OT but I looked at your Istanbul photos and you can see my hotel from your hotel!
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited January 9, 2010
    Have you considered getting a good P&S instead? There are some excellent ones available these days. They don't scream "steal me" and you might find the IQ not very different from what you get from a cheap lens. Not as much control, but then, you are on vacation. lol3.gif
    edited January 9, 2010
    glockman99 wrote:
    How about a Nikkor AF-S 18-70mm? That's my "walk-around" lens for my D70, and I love that lens.

Wouldn't be a good recommendation as it is a DX lens and the D700 is FX.
    edited January 9, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    Have you considered getting a good P&S instead? There are some excellent ones available these days. They don't scream "steal me" and you might find the IQ not very different from what you get from a cheap lens. Not as much control, but then, you are on vacation. lol3.gif

I agree with this one. I have the canon S90 and love it for travel when I don't need zoom past 100mm.
  • glockman99glockman99 Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    jonh68 wrote:
    Wouldn't be a good recommendation as it is a DX lens and the D700 is FX.
    You're right. I'm pretty new to this DSLR camera stuff.ne_nau.gif
    Dann Fassnacht (glockman99)
    Aberdeen, WA USA
    glockman99@hotmail.com
    edited January 10, 2010
    glockman99 wrote:
    You're right. I'm pretty new to this DSLR camera stuff.ne_nau.gif

It can be confusing!