YAS (Yet Another Sunset)

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited January 10, 2010 in Landscapes
Yeah, yeah... well, clouds are rare in SoCal, so I am trying to shoot them when I have a chance...:-)

#1: Diagonal:

759190218_FWi8S-L.jpg

#2: X Marks The Skies:

759190246_gVC44-L.jpg

#3: Skies are fenced off:

759190143_VE7zS-XL.jpg

#4: Pretty in pink:

759190444_iV8JC-L.jpg

#5: Santa Monica Mountains:

759190214_3YYRg-L.jpg

#6: Dry Grass:

759190329_kZaHC-L.jpg

#7: God's Gamut:

759190416_pTFLa-XL.jpg

All the images taken with 5D2 + EF 24-100/4.0L IS USM, handheld. These copies are Small Jpegs SOOC (I have RAWs too :-)

This post was made with the assistance of Star*Explorer
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    Nice looking sunset, Nik!

Is that from tonight? I stayed at work late tonight o put the finishing touches on a project and when I came out, the sunset off near the coast looked absolutely gorgeous! Of course, no camera in hand or time to go get it and get to the coast... :cry

But enough of my crying, I really like #3 & #6 (though I wonder how would this one look straightened?) thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Nice looking sunset, Nik!

Is that from tonight? I stayed at work late tonight o put the finishing touches on a project and when I came out, the sunset off near the coast looked absolutely gorgeous! Of course, no camera in hand or time to go get it and get to the coast... :cry

But enough of my crying, I really like #3 & #6 (though I wonder how would this one look straightened?) thumb.gif

Thanks Chris!
    Yeah, it's tonight's. With my new job I can come early/leave early, so since my arrival coincides with the sunrise and when I come home I still have time to catch the sunset, I decided to carry a camera with me for a while (which I wasn't doing for a loooooooong time).
    Take care! thumb.gif
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    Fun shots Nik, I call them the winter whispies up here in SBwings.gif as they normally show up from December through February.

However, these are particularly cool.
    edited January 8, 2010
    Fun shots Nik, I call them the winter whispies up here in SBwings.gif as they normally show up from December through February.

However, these are particularly cool.
    Thanks Marc, it was good talking to you:-) mwink.gifthumb.gif
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    Nice series! I like #3 and #6 the best, because you have interesting foreground subjects against the pretty skies. I LOVE the title "God's Gamut" in #7 and the colors are nice, but the overall image seems to lack some "pop" to me. Still, it runs a close second to the other two as my favorites.

Well done!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited January 8, 2010
    redleash wrote:
    Nice series! I like #3 and #6 the best, because you have interesting foreground subjects against the pretty skies. I LOVE the title "God's Gamut" in #7 and the colors are nice, but the overall image seems to lack some "pop" to me. Still, it runs a close second to the other two as my favorites.

Well done!

Lauren
    Thank you Lauren! thumb.gif
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    These are so pretty! It's hard for a born-and-bred easterner to think of clouds as rare, but I can imagine that any sunset as lovely and reflective as these are a real treat. That part never gets old. thumb.gif

I actually really dig the first one with the contrail. A great way of emphasizing something that we usually overlook!
    edited January 9, 2010
    schmoo wrote:
    These are so pretty! It's hard for a born-and-bred easterner to think of clouds as rare, but I can imagine that any sunset as lovely and reflective as these are a real treat. That part never gets old. thumb.gif

I actually really dig the first one with the contrail. A great way of emphasizing something that we usually overlook!

Thank you Steph! Yeah that contrail had quite unusual lighting pattern on it....
  • SchnauzerSchnauzer Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    Looks like a lot of fun Nik. I got a kick out of the fenced of ' no trespassing ' sky.

I can't imagine seldom having clouds where I live.

I had hoped to see you at Acadia and by you a few beers. I say a few because I've heard of your beer capacity.
    RON
    edited January 10, 2010
    Schnauzer wrote:
    Looks like a lot of fun Nik. I got a kick out of the fenced of ' no trespassing ' sky.

I can't imagine seldom having clouds where I live.

I had hoped to see you at Acadia and by you a few beers. I say a few because I've heard of your beer capacity.
    Thank Ron! thumb.gif
    I feel bad that I missed Acadia shootout last year, but unfortunately being UE at the time didn't play well with the plans of mice and men ne_nau.gif
    But I do hope to get the at some point, I heard the views are breathtaking (and I also have a few models there I'd love to shoot;-), so I still may take you up on those beers mwink.gif
    Nikolai