Graven Images

Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
edited January 8, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
As a resident of New England, we have some fairly oldish cemeteries and I've always had a love for them. Serene. Peaceful. Historic. Here are some of my favorites.

Sarah aged nine from 1762 - one of the prettiest and best preserved stones I've photographed.

757323378_EwoNx-L.jpg

This row from a century later represents a big change in material and style -
757319226_Vo7hd-L.jpg

When I travel I try to get to a cemetery if possible. This is from the Bullfrog Mine Cemetery outside of the ghost town of Rhyolite, NV. Many of the graves aren't even marked; just vague ovals of sand mostly blown away by desert winds.
759385242_pTsL3-L.jpg

And last, but not least, a pet cemetery in Massachusetts. Huge and still in use after decades.
759389962_tG9Bb-L.jpg

Graven Images gallery on SmugMug

Comments

• RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    Nice, really like #2
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    I see someone else is intrigued by graveyards :D
    Randy
  • invisibleinvisible Registered Users Posts: 440 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    Numbers 1 and 4 for me. The first one for the subject, the textures, and the very nice B&W conversion. The last one for the colours and the light. Thanks for sharing.
    I steal the soul of inanimate things.

Federico
    Website / Flickr
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    Howdy,

Really interesting and well shot, We really like to go to the Cemeteries, kind of like a look into the past.

That first shot is really well done, and like the last one as well, more for the subject matter.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    Thank you all. Graves and cemeteries aren't everyone's cup of espresso, but I really enjoy them and try to do them justice.