Printing question

Traces of TexasTraces of Texas Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
edited January 10, 2010 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I took some photos of a friend's wedding.

Afterward, I post-processed them and uploaded them to a gallery. Because I didn't want to upload huge photos photos (takes so long), I reduced the size of the photos in Photoshop before uploading.

So my friends now want to purchase these photos but, of course, they want some of them at quite large sizes. However, because I reduced the size before uploading, they are unable to choose the size that they want as it is unavailable when they go to select it.

However, I can, of course, upload photos at the sizes that they want. But I only want to do this AFTER they've chosen them online, because I don't want to waste my time uploading hundreds of huge prints when they are only going to want a small percentage of them at those large sizes.

So how do this?

Ideally, the process would work like this from my point of view:

1) I would go to the Smugmug pricing page and price all of the print sizes that my camera is capable of producing at its highest-res settings.

2) After that, I'd shoot a wedding, post process the photos, REDUCE THEIR SIZE, and upload.

3) The couple would then be able to choose which photos they like and then order them at large sizes.

4) At that point, using my 7 day proof period, I would replace the small photos that they are choosing from with photos large enough to meet the size that they have requested.

5) Bayphoto would then print them and ship them.

So my problem is that I don't want to spend days uploading hundreds of 14mb files to smugmug when the couple only wants about 1/10th of them. I would, however, like for the couple to be able to choose the large sizes that, because I have reduced them before uploading, are not available for them to choose. After they have chosen from among the small sizes, I would go back and upload photographs that are big enough to meet the requested size.

I hope this is clear.

Thanks!

Comments

• WendeeWendee Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    Hi,

In order to have your images available in the larger print sizes, you need to make sure you're uploading files that meet our minimum resolution requirements.

See here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-quality

So you can still upload smaller / lower quality files to help speed the uploading process, but they still need to be large enough for us to make a decent print of them.

More here, from the Proof Delay help page:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/proof-retouch-replace

"When you're initially uploading photos to a gallery that you intend to replace before printing, remember that our minimum print resolution requirements still apply. Keep the resolution (number of pixels) high enough to sell the prints you want, but shrink the file size by uploading images compressed to jpeg quality 7 and replacing them with jpeg 10 images as they're ordered. This workflow will allow for both speedy uploads and high quality prints."

Holler if you still have questions. :)

Take care,
    Wendee
    Support Hero
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal
  • Traces of TexasTraces of Texas Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    Wendee wrote:
    Hi,

In order to have your images available in the larger print sizes, you need to make sure you're uploading files that meet our minimum resolution requirements.

See here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-quality

So you can still upload smaller / lower quality files to help speed the uploading process, but they still need to be large enough for us to make a decent print of them.

More here, from the Proof Delay help page:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/proof-retouch-replace

"When you're initially uploading photos to a gallery that you intend to replace before printing, remember that our minimum print resolution requirements still apply. Keep the resolution (number of pixels) high enough to sell the prints you want, but shrink the file size by uploading images compressed to jpeg quality 7 and replacing them with jpeg 10 images as they're ordered. This workflow will allow for both speedy uploads and high quality prints."

Holler if you still have questions. :)

Take care,
    Wendee
    Support Hero
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal

Okay ... next question: is there a tool or an easy way to download all 1200 photos in one of my galleries to my local hard drive so that I can "upsize" them, or will I have to copy each manually?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    You don't keep local copies? :yikes

You can use album fetcher or rapid fetcher, here:
    http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Hacks+and+Apps

both free both great apps.
  • nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    Because I didn't want to upload huge photos photos (takes so long), I reduced the size of the photos in Photoshop before uploading
    So my problem is that I don't want to spend days uploading hundreds of 14mb files to smugmug

Assuming you have a decent broadband connection, 1200 14MB files could be uploaded in about a day. Btw, 1200 photos at a wedding is ridiculous, Since the couple only wants about 1/10th of them.
    After that, I'd shoot a wedding, post process the photos, REDUCE THEIR SIZE, and upload.
    because I don't want to waste my time uploading hundreds of huge prints

No offense intended, but I don't understand why people complain about upload time. You don't have to sit at your computer while uploading. mwink.gif I do most of mine while I'm sleeping. thumb.gif

SM gives unlimited space. But now, you're going to spend MUCH more time replacing photos, than actually uploading the full size files. mwink.gif

Just trying to help. :D
  • nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    You don't keep local copies? :yikes

:yikes :yikes :yikes

Agreed.

I'd hate to think that someone would shoot a wedding, and not have multiple backups of the originals, and at least one copy of what they posted. mwink.gif
  • Traces of TexasTraces of Texas Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    nipprdog wrote:
    :yikes :yikes :yikes

Agreed.

I'd hate to think that someone would shoot a wedding, and not have multiple backups of the originals, and at least one copy of what they posted. mwink.gif

I used the wedding just as an example to keep things simple in my explanation of what my issue was and what the ideal scenario, for me, would be.

Actually, the 1200 shots in one gallery that I am talking about are in my "Images of Texas" gallery and have been collected during four years of traveling around the state. I've got four terrabytes of originals and then I don't know how many terrabytes of post processed shots ... probably at least 1.5 tb or so. Of course, each shoot is in its own, individual directory and each of these directories is labeled, dated and organized chronologically, but we're still talking about a huge amount of images to sift through.

So it really would be easier to grab them all from my one online gallery than to go and fetch each individual shot from among the originals.

I do have a few weddings, though, and resizing and uploading THOSE shots will be relatively straightforward. I'll just batch resize each entire directory in Genuine Fractals and upload them.

Also, because I'm on a wireless satellite connection, both my download speeds and my upload speeds are horrendous compared to, say, a cable modem. Things would be different if I lived in a large city.

Thanks, Andy, for the links to the two apps. I'll go and grab one of them right now.