Shutter failure?

Scorrow1967Scorrow1967 Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited January 8, 2010 in Cameras
Are there two more scary words? Not when you are at shoot and all of the sudden you camera won't stop firing unless you take the batteries out.

I searched the net and this seems the most common theory on what I experienced on my Canon D30 tonight. I tried replacing the lens, taking off the battery grip and taking the lens off all together.

But every time I put a battery in the camera and turned it on I got clicks galore and an odd ERR99 thrown in for good measure.

I'm sure I'm in deep doo-doo here, but I thought I'd throw it out to the masses to see if there's anyone who can give some insight or share their experience on the cost of a repair.

Comments

• Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    How about a general reset?

(Not sure how on a Canon… …I'm a Nikon user)

I'll bet Ziggy knows, though…

thumb.gif

HTH -
    - Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Scorrow1967Scorrow1967 Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    Thanks Wil, I can't get it do anything other than click, so I'm not sure that's an option. I appreciate you taking the time to respond, though!
    Wil Davis wrote:
    How about a general reset?

(Not sure how on a Canon… …I'm a Nikon user)

I'll bet Ziggy knows, though…

thumb.gif

HTH -
    - Wil
  • dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    Are there two more scary words? Not when you are at shoot and all of the sudden you camera won't stop firing unless you take the batteries out.

I searched the net and this seems the most common theory on what I experienced on my Canon D30 tonight. I tried replacing the lens, taking off the battery grip and taking the lens off all together.

But every time I put a battery in the camera and turned it on I got clicks galore and an odd ERR99 thrown in for good measure.

I'm sure I'm in deep doo-doo here, but I thought I'd throw it out to the masses to see if there's anyone who can give some insight or share their experience on the cost of a repair.

I don't have my D30 handy but I reviewed the DPReview Review of the camera. There is a CR2025 battery (button watch battery) behind a cover on the bottom of the camera. The easiest way I know of to do a hard reset of the camera is to remove the re-chargeable battery and then remove the backup battery (the CR2025). Then replace them in order. I have never done this so I am unsure what it resets on the camera but it will probably come back to factory settings.

Unless Ziggy has something else to try...

Mike

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,341 moderator
    edited January 8, 2010
    ...to see if there's anyone who can give some insight or share their experience on the cost of a repair.
    I just had my 40D repaired. The problem? Clicking the shutter locked the mirror up and the shutter button down, no photo, no ability to try again without removing/replacing the battery and turning the camera off and back on. And that didn't make the camera work - it needed to be fixed or replaced.

I sent the camera to one of Canon's factory repair centers. It doesn't cost anything to get a repair estimate. The estimate I received showed the cost of fixing the camera. It also offered the alternative of purchasing a refurbished camera. In my case it made more sense to fix my 40D. Once I gave them the OK to fix the camera, it was fixed and shipped and back in my hands the next day.

--- Denise
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited January 8, 2010
    Like the others I do recommend taking out both batteries and then turn on the camera and let it sit for a while. That should reset the camera.

You mention that you have a battery grip. Are you able to completely leave it off the camera? (I know some that lost the battery door and they have to use the battery/vertical grip.)

I also suggest removing the memory card for testing.

Unfortunately, the combination of the continuous shutter actuation and "Err 99" probably does mean that repairs are needed.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums