new born question

The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
edited January 9, 2010 in People
I was wondering when photographing newborns is it a no no on lighting equipment of any kind?
I don't have any newborns to shoot but I'd like to be prepared for when I do.

I'd love to have some feedback on what all of you do.

Thanks, gail

Comments

• ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    Ask the parents!

I know my wife said no flashes of any kind for both my kids for the first 6 months. Of course both my kids also went through NICU and lots of flashes there could get really annoying.
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    Toshido wrote:
    Ask the parents!

I know my wife said no flashes of any kind for both my kids for the first 6 months. Of course both my kids also went through NICU and lots of flashes there could get really annoying.

Thank you for the response.

gail
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    I photograph newborns all the time and also am a maternity nurse. There is no proven evidence that flash is a problem with newborns. That being said...if you have the availability of window light I would try that first but I use studio strobes through a softbox all the time when they are older than a week. Plus when they are that young, most of the pictures you take they will be asleep and have their eyes closed!
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
    edited January 8, 2010
    I photograph newborns all the time and also am a maternity nurse. There is no proven evidence that flash is a problem with newborns. That being said...if you have the availability of window light I would try that first but I use studio strobes through a softbox all the time when they are older than a week. Plus when they are that young, most of the pictures you take they will be asleep and have their eyes closed!

Thank you very much.

Great infomation that makes perfect sense. I just want to be prepared because I know a young woman that is pregnant with twins and she'll probably want me to take some shots of them. I'm not real sure how to approach the subject or even deal with it but your repsonse helped.

gail
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    I would not use a small direct flash due to it's harshness. The bigger the light source the softer the light.
    edited January 8, 2010
    Hackbone wrote:
    I would not use a small direct flash due to it's harshness. The bigger the light source the softer the light.

Thanks, I appreciate your feedback.

gail
  • My3SonsMy3Sons Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    I have photographed many newborns now, and they're definitely my favorite of all subjects. I used to shoot with just natural light, but that was just because I didn't have my detachable flash yet. I know some very good professional photographers who prefer only natural light. I like to use both, natural light, and my speedlight, which I attach to the camera and bounce off of the ceiling. I can photograph without the flash as well, but I like the added light it provides, especially on cloudy days. I also know of several other great photographers that use more lighting than I do, so I think it is just personal preference.

-Melissa
    www.naturalphotography.smugmug.com
    www.naturalphotographydesign.blogspot.com