Seed Drill and Oak

DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
edited January 25, 2010 in Landscapes
WOuld like opinions on these to shots. It has been so gloomy here in the Central Valley of California, that is the winters here fog fog fog.
Trying to make the best of it. Two different focal lengths posted and different conversions. C&C if you please
1 135mm
759855442_sA95z-L.jpg
2 300mm
759855227_yr82P-L.jpg
Chris K. NANPA Member
http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    I proffer #1, rather than the crop, lighter image. A lovely old oak like that deserves to have its whole canopy shown! It does need more contrast like the 2nd version, though. An printed large one would still get to view the seed drill well. :D

clap.gifclapclap.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    Although I too would like to see the whole canopy on a tree like that, the featureless white sky ruins the mood of the photo for me, so #2 gets my vote. oh and I learned what a seed drill is today. Cool.
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    Although I too would like to see the whole canopy on a tree like that, the featureless white sky ruins the mood of the photo for me, so #2 gets my vote. oh and I learned what a seed drill is today. Cool.
    One could still crop from the top a bit. And the sky is just a pp issue. :D Maybe a bit of vignetting?

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback, this subject will definitely be revisited. The evening light will real nice on it. But right now the weather is not playing nice.
    Thank you for the feedback.
    The first one is preferred by me also. 2 was taken with a 300mm because it was already on the camera and it was a far distance from the road. I will be getting permission to get close to it soon. I think it makes a great subject. The oak has a very nice shape
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    edited January 8, 2010
    He is what it looked like in color also
    760048975_fbXqq-L.jpg
    Chris K. NANPA Member
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    If you can beef up the contrast in #1, I prefer the B&W as this is a nice scene for it. But the color image is nice also. Either way, my preference is for the full tree canopy. To me, that is the key to the scene; the seed drill is a bonus. That's my personal thought.

I also didn't know what a seed drill was . . . but now I do!

Keep at it--even with the lousy weather it looks like you've got a nice subject to shoot.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    That piece of equipment must be popular in the valley....

768852338_88G3P-S.jpg
    edited January 25, 2010
    Back in the day it was the best device to plant wheat, oats and barley. Looks like yours has an improvised cover.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
  • SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    DsrtVW wrote:
    Back in the day it was the best device to plant wheat, oats and barley. Looks like yours has an improvised cover.
    Custom :D