Newbie...first photo post

CCPhotoCCPhoto Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited January 8, 2010 in People
I've been avoiding this for several months, but I suppose it's time to put myself out there. I know I'll never get better unless I allow myself to be critiqued and criticized. I definitely want to grow as a photographer, and all I really know is what I've picked up on the fly, so it's time for this. These are some of my favorites from my first few paid sessions. C+C is welcome and appreciated.

brookcam.jpg

cam2.jpg

cam3.jpg

camfam.jpg

camry.jpg

camry2.jpg

camtractor.jpg

gracie.jpg

gracie2.jpg

shawgra.jpg

kycin.jpg

kycin2.jpg

Thanks!

Comments

• VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    Welcome !!clap.gifclap.gif You'll find we don't bite, at least not too hard !
    Most of the shots are quite nice! My favorites are 3, 4 11, 12.
    #7 could use some cloning to get rid of the distracting pink by the boy's head, and maybe crop a tad tighter.
    #9 could use some lightening of her eyes. See that wasn't so bad!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    looks like you have a good eye for candid moments. I really like 3,4,10,12. i like the moment in 11 but the crop is awkward for me. Not sure how others feel? Anyway welcome to dgrinclap.gif
  • CCPhotoCCPhoto Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    Thank you, ladies, for the warm welcome and critique. I didn't even notice the sign behind the boy's head in #7! I'm a bit embarrassed!
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    Welcome to DGPF!

There are some basic composition guidelines such as "rule of thirds", "fill the frame", use of depth of field to isolate subjects etc. and although many photographers ignore these rules, a careful study of successful photographs (or photographs which work), will show that more often than not, they obey the rules.

Interesting set of pictures:

#1 - fill the frame or crop; perhaps that background is your watermark, but honestly when I first saw it, I thought you'd scanned-in a scratched negative; these scratches (called "tram-lines") are often caused by grit or dirt stuck in the film-guides.

#2 - everything is in the left side of the frame; also, focus on the nearest eye when doing portraits (another "rule")

#3 - that's better, you have some interesting stuff in the frame; lighting is a bit flat

#4 - The B&W is good, and there's some interesting stuff there, but I'd fill the frame or crop like mad (all the stuff in the background isn't important).

#5 - see $4 (rotate the camera 90º CCW and use portrait format, and fill the fr… rolleyes1.gif )

#6 - either step back slightly and don't chop off the guy's feet (but still fill the frame), or get in closer, fill the frame and chop his legs off just above the knees… Actually you could just re-frame without changing your position by just tilting the camera down slightly (the empty sky above his head is unimportant, whereas his feet chopped makes him look like an amputee… eek7.gif )

#7 - seat, steering-wheel, child is good enough - don't need tractor hood and exhaust stack…

#8 - re-frame slightly (move child up and to the right), and focus on the eyes !

#9 - portrait orientation, and focus on the eyes !

#10 #11 - frame, focus, and watch the exposure…

#12 - great picture…
    …but use portrait orientation, and perhaps re-frame - everything in the background to his left is uninteresting, whereas background to the right has the gate/fence thingy, and they could be looking at it, but as you have it, everything is in the centre, and the people are leg-less!!!! eek7.gif

Perhaps you might also consider using fill-in flash just to make the pictures slight less-flat (just an idea)

Thanks for sharing your pictures; you have a pretty good eye, all you need to do now is concentrate on the details!

Hope this helps!

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
    edited January 8, 2010
    Wil,

Thanks for the detailed critique! Several of the issues that you mentioned (i.e., "flat colors", "scratches", etc...) were part of post-processing. I will absolutely take everything you said in to consideration and will continue to try to learn the "rules". Thanks!
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    CCPhoto wrote:
    Wil,

Thanks for the detailed critique! Several of the issues that you mentioned (i.e., "flat colors", "scratches", etc...) were part of post-processing. I will absolutely take everything you said in to consideration and will continue to try to learn the "rules". Thanks!

Rules were meant to be broken, too thumb.gif
    //Leah
    edited January 8, 2010
    catspaw wrote:
    Rules were meant to be broken, too thumb.gif

Thanks, Leah :)
  • MissBMissB Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    yay!! these are great.. I love the natural feel in all of these. welcome to dgrin I cant wait to see what else you bring to the table!! cheerleader.gifcheerleader.gif
    Baby number 4: BUNDLEBOO
    Newest baby: R.Gonzalez PHOTOGRAPHY or HERE
    My rambling addiction: Crunchy Monkeys
    facebook fan page: R.Gonzalez photography
    :ivar