Tricks for closing iris

ifocusifocus Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
edited January 9, 2010 in Technique
I am learning about portraiture. I would like to know your tricks to close the iris of the eye in lower light. Of course, the flash is too fast for the iris to contract.

Thanks

JY

Comments

• D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    You mean, pupil,,, right?

If yes, just turn up some lights behind the camera - Strobes will over-ride light from a table lamp. If shooting w/ OC flash, use the pre-flash feature.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited January 8, 2010
    Generally in portraiture the eyes look much better with large pupils. That is considered an advantage of flash photography.

How are you using the flash(es)?

Why do you wish a small pupil in the eyes?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ifocusifocus Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Generally in portraiture the eyes look much better with large pupils. That is considered an advantage of flash photography.

How are you using the flash(es)?

Why do you wish a small pupil in the eyes?
    Well, I truly mean closing the iris, the iris is the eye diaphragm; the interesting colored portion of the eye. A closed iris means a smaller pupil. My English might be deficient but this is what I understood from this picture.

[IMG]file:///Users/JeanYves/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///Users/JeanYves/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]
    [IMG]file:///Users/JeanYves/Desktop/eye.jpg[/IMG]
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 9, 2010
    The generally used statement is "constricting the pupil", or creating miotic pupil.

Like Ziggy said larger pupils are generally thought more attractive, and more typical of youth. Pupils usually get smaller with advancing age.

The women at court in France used belladonna to dilate their pupils to create a more youthful, attractive appearance.

Higher ambient light wiil constrict the pupil, but not really compete with the level of flash illumination, unless the flash is very weak or the ambient very strong.

Pupils can be constricted pharmacologically with miotic drugs like pilocarpine or eserine, but these are not available without a prescription from a physician.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    Ambient light is the easiest way to accomplish this. Just turn your strobes and house(ambient) lights all the way up, set your shutter to 1/250 and adjust your aperture to the appropriate setting for exposure.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    If you're using a flash gun, could try just using red-eye reduction, setting a series of preflashes prior to the main flash and closing the iris~
    tom wise