Options

52 Weeks of Portraits

Village IdiotVillage Idiot Registered Users Posts: 215 Major grins
edited February 20, 2010 in People
I'm attempting a 52 project. I don't have the time to do a 365, but I figured I can find time to do 52 portraits over the course of the year.

Week 1 - Brad

These were shot with an Alien Bee B800 and a Kacey Beauty Dish.

4255653890_734f1851a8_o.jpg

4255656968_d20664feb6_b.jpg
On a scale of 1 to 10, my awesomeness goes all the way to 11.

Comments

• Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    I prefer #1. Puts the shot in context.

I am doing the same project... 52 weeks of Self-Portraits. I was going to try 365 but I just don't have the time.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    Hi there Village Idiotrolleyes1.gif feels funny to say that.

I like #1 very much--I like the lighting--it's almost harsh but I think it works. There is just so much to look at in that shot and little things make me laugh. I particularly find the Tide on the counter amusing as well as the empty paper towel holder and his tall Screwdriver, that's the only way to cook properly you know.

I also like #1 best because I think it gives us more of a glimpse of his personality, you don't get that with #2. Very fun shot. I know I will keep going back to it and finding new things.

Bravo on your project--it's a great idea--I hope you stick with it--I myself am stargintg a 52 week project, but not for portraits--already you are ahead of the game friend.

Good luck to you.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    LKN DaveLKN Dave Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    I dig the first one. You are off to a great start.
  • Options
    CyberSteakCyberSteak Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    This is a great idea. Certainly forces you to click. Something I've been weirdly avoiding lately. Not sure what that's about headscratch.gif . May have to borrow your idea and alter it somewhat. Thanks and I'll be keeping an eye on this (?) thread throughout the year.

Oh...wasnt a fan of the first one then realized all the comedy in it. That said I like it best. thumb.gif
    http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/Default.aspx?id=329340&mp=V1

Canon 40D, 28-135mm, 50mm f/1.8, 10-22mm, 70-300, 580 EXII, ST-E2, 500D Diopter
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    Like your plan, and your first one's humor. Second one lacks context, as already said.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2010
    Week 2.

This is my friend Donnie. I had a friends who needed to go to Hagerstown which is about 20 minutes from where I live and Donnie, who volunteered for week 2, lives in Hagerstown. I got the idea for this shot almost immediately and called him hoping that he would be free. He was. I met up with him and the photo took about 10 minutes from getting the equipment out, taking 3-4 test snaps, and then getting this final shot. I wanted to do this quickly (not just because of the 25 degree weather) because not all shoots I'll have an opportunity to do will give me all the time in the world. I was thinking of it as a good exercise and the reason I wanted to do this 52 week project in the first place.

Editing was fairly straight forward. Curves, Highlight & Shadows, Contrast, USM, and a few other minor adjustments. Anyways, C&C away; that's what this is here for, right?

4270822278_bc4c4a82e5_o.jpg
  • Options
    SLRdudeSLRdude Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    I'm trying to do the 365 and since I started on January the second, I have not missed a day just yet.
    52 shots seems a lot more manageable though from a time perspective.
    Chip

ad astra per aspera
  • Options
    kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2010
    Week 2: Like this one alot. The direct eye contact with the camera in the action freeze frame is very cool.
    --Kres
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2010
    Week 3. There's nothing really speshul about this photo except for the people in it. It's one light with an umbrella, that's it. The two girls are friends of mine. They're goofy like this all the time. I ordered hot shoe adapters for my 430EX's on Friday, so I'm going to have a lot more light to play around with next week. One of my vivitars died on me and I just haven't had a chance to get the adapters until now.

4298700909_928b0b8922_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2010
    Week 4 is kind of weak, but my appointment for that week bailed on me.

I did do a job of mixing the strobe, tv, and ambient to a good level without having the sun shining in blowing out too terribly bad from what it could have been.

4324238588_630e3a0ba7_o.jpg
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    I like how your model's pose mirrors the fellow in the move. Nicely done. [don't tell me that it was unintended].
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote:
    I like how your model's pose mirrors the fellow in the move. Nicely done. [don't tell me that it was unintended].

I was pausing and rewinding the scene just to have it in the photo. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2010
    Sorry, behind with the snow and actually having photography work to attend to. I do have photos sitting on my drive and I'm working on it now.

Week 5. This is my neighbor Christine's son Holden. He likes Thomas the Train. I wanted to emphasize the table in front of him with the light, showing how kids can be so engrossed with their toys and their imaginations.

4374476430_28e3b7a56a_o.jpg