Options

#41 suggestions appreciated

Shoots2LittleShoots2Little Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
edited January 9, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
New Dgrinner here.

When I read about the challenge last week I immediately thought of this tree in town which has been being covered in shoes over the last 15 years. I have been trying to wrap my head around how to shoot this. Issues are it is in a canyon area and only gets light in the morning, has a large retaining wall on one side with road traffic and a hotel directly next to it on the other side. I thought of doing a short DoF to get one or two pairs to be in focus with others in the background, but am not sure.

Here are some shots I took with my point and shoot this morning in -2 degree(f) frigidness to help come up with ideas. The last few days have been overcast so I didn't bother looking but the next few days are supposed to be clear.

Any ideas? I would rather just use an original shot and not play with it in Photoshop other than for cropping.

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment.
Chris

760216253_GvZ22-L.jpg

760215890_SfV73-L.jpg

760216531_RwoEE-L.jpg
D40 18-55/3.5 35/1.8

My Smugmug

Comments

• Options
    CdorothyCdorothy Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    I am new here too, but for me, I like the first 2 shots with all the shoes. That is really something to see. Sort of like a "tree of remembrance" or something.
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    I like the multiple shoes. Of these, #1 works best for me.

Try getting underneath, close to the trunk and see what you can come up with.
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    Hi Shoots2little (funny name) and welcome.

This tree is something to behold--what great subject matter. This particular challenge has your name all over it--having said that, I think you will have to reshoot because I know you can get better shots. What time did you shoot these?

Can you go wider and closer and include the entire tree?

I can't give you tips, I'm not a very technical person.

Also (and maybe it's just me) that one pair of crocks in neon yellow (2nd shot) kind of breaks up the photo for me, i keep staring at it.

Sorry I can't give you more--but I will say that I think you have to keep working this.

Welcome to dgrin.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    Another suggestion would be to get the crocs in the FG and a bunch of the others in the BG.

I like #3, because there is a single subject, but there is already a photo of shoes hanging from a wire, so I would probably not use it myself for this challenge. Similar ideas take something away from each other.

Great subject matter! Go take about a hundred shots today from all different angles. Then see which you like best. Then go back tomorrow and take another hundred from the angles you liked best.

For the challenges, I will usually start out with 3 or 4 ideas and choose the one that I am best able to execute on. Then I'll work on the best idea for a while. Then sometimes, I'll throw it out and start on something completely new on Saturday night before the end of the challenge. mwink.gif

BTW, welcome and I love your name, also. Stick around and it will probably become untrue. :D Especially if you act on my suggestions above. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    Welcome to DGrin! I like #2, with the buildings and road/bridge. It's almost like people who lose their shoes on their journeys can find them in the tree--like trees that have hubcaps next to them for drivers who lose theirs on the bumpy road. You might just try some other angles that include the shoe tree and the bridge--or the shoe tree and more of the building, which might evoke the idea that people who live in that building leave something behind when they move away.

You have a great opportunity here. BTW, I found one of these shoe trees in one of our city parks the other day and I took some shots. Does anyone know what the significance is? They were mainly sneakers and it's near a walking/running trail, if that means anything. It made me very curious.

I won't try to use that shot either, since you're already doing it.

Good luck!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    First of all... welcome to DGrin. I'm realtively new here, too and love that so many new fols are entering the challenges.

I like your first shot b/c it gives a sense of space. I like the vertical angle and would suggest shooting more of it. Don't rule out a cloudy day. It might bring some of the colors to life (altho I'd avoid having the yellow pair in the foreground.)

Nice idea.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    redleash wrote:
    You have a great opportunity here. BTW, I found one of these shoe trees in one of our city parks the other day and I took some shots. Does anyone know what the significance is? They were mainly sneakers and it's near a walking/running trail, if that means anything. It made me very curious.

Lauren

Lauren, fyi it can mean a few things--sometimes it's called "shoefitti" as in grafitti with shoes--it is seen many times in urban areas for different reasons, the most prevalent being demarcation of gang territory.

In my neighborhood it's a bunch of skateboarding kids that do it. My husband recalls (he has lived in this neighborhood his whole life) that they were thrown up on the last day of school when he was younger. But I've seen some other areas where they do it around me, and maybe it is gangs, I've heard they have started to sprout nearby.

I'm sure there are more meanings, but that's some.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    I'd have to agree with working from underneath and seeing what different angles and DOFs will do. Probably want to make sure that you have a strong blue sky as well so that the image is not too flat or monotone. Neat idea! Good luck.
    — Kevin

Oh, and welcome to DGrin and the challenges.
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    Hi Chris,

Welcome to the playground :)

I personally like the first one - very fun.
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2010
    Liz -- Thanks for the info about the shoe trees. As far as I know, the one I saw wasn't in a gang area so it must have another meaning. I'm so curious I might explore further.

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    Shoots2LittleShoots2Little Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    Wow! Thanks for warm greetings and suggestions.

I had just a few minutes yesterday on my way to do something else and only had my P&S with me and was trying to gain a direction to go for the next visit. I only had on a pair of sneakers and was getting cold and wet feet traipsing around in a foot of snow. Today wont be it as it is very flat light. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny again and I have no work planned so I will attempt to take those 100 shots and see if I can make anything work. I will also wear the right 'shoes' for the job! :)

Thanks again for everyone's help. I can see these challenges being seriously fun and a great way to make me get out and shoot.

And a quick Google search returned these:

Shoetrees

Wikipedia
    D40 18-55/3.5 35/1.8

My Smugmug
  • Options
    JerryBartonJerryBarton Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    Also a great welcome from me - newbie that I am in this forum, just like you.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2010
    Thanks for the links--I learned a lot about shoe trees by reading those! thumb.gif

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com