Options

NIKON D3/D700/D300 Shutter Life/Failure thread - Post your experience here!

bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
edited June 18, 2013 in Cameras
A recent post reminded me that, yes, even us Nikon folks :wink have to deal with the dreaded shutter failure.

I would love to see some feedback from you fellow dgrinner's on this issue. Hopefully, we'll be able to identify the average life for particular DSLR models and know how to plan!

Sample:

Model: D700
Actuations at Failure: 167,000
Comments: I was motor driving at a Football game when it happened. Thankfully I had my backup body close by!

Comments

• Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    I believe there is a site dedicate for this.

We all know the shutter is rated for 150,000 (D700). It's relatively cheap to get it replaced.

All in all, that sucks, but somewhat expected. :cry
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    I am at 73000 on my D300 half way there.eek7.gifcryeek7.gif

Up to 103000 now 9/2010
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    MODEL: D300, October 2008.

Shutter appx 20 clicks~

Details: Twenty Minutes after receiving it (NEW)from reputable Dealer, Shutter fails~

One hour and Twenty minutes: back into box to ship/return~

They fail new, And that's why we (I) buy from Reputable Dealers~
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2010
    angevin1 wrote:
    MODEL: D300, October 2008.

Shutter appx 20 clicks~

Details: Twenty Minutes after receiving it (NEW)from reputable Dealer, Shutter fails~

One hour and Twenty minutes: back into box to ship/return~

They fail new, And that's why we (I) buy from Reputable Dealers~

eek7.gif That must be an all-time record! Geez.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    eek7.gif That must be an all-time record! Geez.

Well, I see it like you said, "...we'll be able to identify the average life for particular DSLR models and know how to plan!"

And how to plan ought to always begin with Buying from a reputable Dealer or individual, EH? Early into your thread and we cover the buying first~
    As far as it being a record, not sure...but I admit to being damn glad I bought from a good source~:D
    tom wise
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    Well, my D300 only has around 15,000 clicks... so I can't comment on it failing yet. But, glad to hear they last more than 150,000.

The day I get that many clicks on my camera is the day I'm going to celebrate for being the worlds greatest photographer. In other words... it aint gonna happen. And, I will probably get a new camera before then anyways.

I'm not a spray and pray kind of guy. I get the exposure correct, and wait for the perfect moment to press the shutter release. Pretty much the exact opposite of Becker from the school who shoots till his camera freezes up.

Cool thread, looking forward to hear how long my camera will last me.
    Jer
  • Options
    OzzwaldOzzwald Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    After the shutter fails, you can get it replaced/repaired right? If so how much?
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2010
    Ozzwald wrote:
    After the shutter fails, you can get it replaced/repaired right? If so how much?

Great question...anybody have first hand hand experience?
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2010
    I just did some searching... and a quote I got from a website to repair a shutter that is stuck or not functioning (Which I'm assuming is replacing it) was $102.49.

Whether that's replacing, or just making sure it's working properly I don't know. But, I guess that's a ballpark estimate as to how much it may or may not cost to get a new shutter.

Which, aint too bad! I'd rather pay $100 over a grand any day to have a working camera.
    Jer
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,887 moderator
    edited January 9, 2010
    According to the ByThom website, the Nikon D300 and D700 are indeed rated for 150K actuations. The D3 is rated for 300K actuations. (I was not able to find other camera ratings.)

http://www.bythom.com/nikond700review.htm

The actual repair cost for a shutter box will depend partly upon the model of camera, who does the repair, and whether or not they replace the mirror box/assembly at the same time. Since the shutter and the mirror are both mechanical and since they both have approximately the same number of actuations (and the same actuation ratings), they are often replaced at the same time (except for premature failure).
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    Well, my D300 only has around 15,000 clicks...

I'm not a spray and pray kind of guy. I get the exposure correct, and wait for the perfect moment to press the shutter release. Pretty much the exact opposite of Becker from the school who shoots till his camera freezes up.

Cool thread, looking forward to hear how long my camera will last me.

How do you know that Becker overshoots?
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2010
    Because I'm best buddies with him.

I WISH... no I'm a member of the School, and he has a video on there called "Relaxed Portraits"... which basically talks about making the portraits at the wedding go smoothly and having relaxed poses and whatnot... and he admits that he is a spray and pray shooter. Like, literally, He holds it down, and takes 10-15 exposures per pose. I find it a bit overkill.
    Jer
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    Because I'm best buddies with him.

I WISH... no I'm a member of the School, and he has a video on there called "Relaxed Portraits"... which basically talks about making the portraits at the wedding go smoothly and having relaxed poses and whatnot... and he admits that he is a spray and pray shooter. Like, literally, He holds it down, and takes 10-15 exposures per pose. I find it a bit overkill.

I follow his blog sometimes. He has a hell of an ego, but produces (shows) good results. Sometimes I get tired of his "persona"

Is the bschool worth it?
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2010
    Zanotti wrote:
    I follow his blog sometimes. He has a hell of an ego, but produces (shows) good results. Sometimes I get tired of his "persona"

Is the bschool worth it?
    Well, I'm new to the b school... I just signed up for it like last week. But, so far it has helped alot.

I'm going to be hiring a designer to redo my entire brand identity. Because my card, website, and logo DO NOT match... Which is bad. They all individually look alright, but together there is no consistency. and my favorite quote by me is "Consistency is vital, and without the vitals the body will not live."
    Jer
  • Options
    sellissellis Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    Ozzwald wrote:

In December, I had a D300 shutter replaced ("shutter mechanism" according to the invoice). It was $200 and included a general check and clean, clean ccd, and firmware upgrade.
    It was acting up and I wanted to get it checked out before my friend bought it. Now he has a nice D300 with a new shutter.

Sam
  • Options
    shadowdancer36shadowdancer36 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    What does shutter failure mean technically? Is it when the shutter opens then fails to close? I'm going through this right now at a concert :( Periodically it will open then won't close back. I have to keep turning the camera on and off or hit the flash test button for the shutter to finally release. I'm not sure how many clicks I'm at (can someone tell me how to bring up that info?) but it can't be anywhere near the amt you guys have mentioned.
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2010
    What does shutter failure mean technically? Is it when the shutter opens then fails to close? I'm going through this right now at a concert :( Periodically it will open then won't close back. I have to keep turning the camera on and off or hit the flash test button for the shutter to finally release. I'm not sure how many clicks I'm at (can someone tell me how to bring up that info?) but it can't be anywhere near the amt you guys have mentioned.

Are you getting an error message?

Which camera body and which lens?

Are you using a vertical/battery grip?

Have you tried switching batteries?
    ziggy53
  • Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    My D300 shutter came back in a bag when I had it repaired around 70,000 clicks. But that was after I took my camera to a water fight. I don't think the repair shop could figure out the problem so they just replaced everything. :)
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    The shutter on my D3 failed after approx 100,000 clicks. The failure occurred on a very rough cart ride up a mountain in Alaska so I don't think the timing was coincidental.

Its currently at Nikon for repairs. The current repair estimate is $348.32
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2010
    I am also going through this right now. My D300 shutter freezes open. I either have to turn the camera off or click it a second time. At first I thought I had it in live view.

How do I tell how many actuations I have on the camera? I am guessing that I'm over 100,000.

The shutter freezes with and without the grip.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2010
    I am also going through this right now. My D300 shutter freezes open. I either have to turn the camera off or click it a second time. At first I thought I had it in live view.

How do I tell how many actuations I have on the camera? I am guessing that I'm over 100,000.

Chris

At over 100,000 actuations it certainly could be the shutter. I do suggest resetting the camera (2 green button reset) back to default settings first to see if maybe a custom setting is inadvertently causing the problem.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    KevinhooaKevinhooa Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited September 27, 2010
    I was curious about how many shots my old camera took not too long ago. I downloaded an EXIF data reader which tells you what shot out of how many the camera has taken in its lifetime. I downloaded it here:
    http://homepage.mac.com/aozer/EV/
    It worked great, and is very simple. I couldn't find how to do it on my D50 or if it was even possible. Kind of funny as it would be like hiding the odometer on a car.
    Kevin H. (Owls Flight)

There seems to be less and less garden in this state.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins

Chris

Opanda Exif there are a couple of free versions at the site.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    I uploaded a photo to my firend's F;lickr acct and looked at the exiff. It showed the accuation number. It's now at 91,000 and I figured out that the mirror is hanging up not the shutter. Off to Nikon we go.

Thanks all.
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    I uploaded a photo to my firend's F;lickr acct and looked at the exiff. It showed the accuation number. It's now at 91,000 and I figured out that the mirror is hanging up not the shutter. Off to Nikon we go.

Thanks all.

Good luck and please do keep us posted.

Best,
    ziggy53
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    I've got a D300 that is rougly at the quarter-million mark. Still running fine, although I do get it serviced every year or so. The grip rubber falls off every 6 months, the magnesium alloy frame has plenty of scrapes and the battery compartment suffered a pretty severe blow that almost pinched the battery inside.

I tend to run my equipment into the ground. My 1st camera, a D70 in 2004 or 2005, (the year it came out?) got to maybe a half-million shutter clicks before I got rid of it. It has all sorts of issues, including the memory card CHA issue, the BGLOD, and other things, but the shutter worked perfectly.

Come to think of it, ever since the D2H I haven't heard of any serious shutter failure issues with Nikon. In fact the 5D mk1 is the ONLY camera other than the D2H that I know of with a known issue, and that's the mirror not the shutter. Yes, shutters WILL fail and you should always have a backup on hand, especially if images work cannot be re-scheduled. But for the most part, reputations have been pretty good lately unless there's a serious issue I'm not aware of...

=Matt=

Zanotti wrote: »

Is the bschool worth it?
    You have to meet Becker in person to understand what he's all about. Nicest guy in the industry, unlike SO many who have an "on / off switch" if you know what I mean. He's got an ego, but the minute you meet him you realize it's all just a big goof, he's actually pretty humble about the work he does and is genuinely interested in helping photographers who are serious about success.

I've been a member of the school since day 1, and I can honestly say it is the BEST private community out there. I've stopped visiting every other online community, save this one from time to time, and the school is the only place I go for real advice and brainstorming. We're currently having a pretty insightful discussion on industry change, and whether or not wedding and portrait industries can survive the onslaught of digital hobbyists.

But, no pressure. If you're not interested in making money at photography, there are plenty of other things to spend your money on. :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    fldspringerfldspringer Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    A recent post reminded me that, yes, even us Nikon folks mwink.gif have to deal with the dreaded shutter failure.

I would love to see some feedback from you fellow dgrinner's on this issue. Hopefully, we'll be able to identify the average life for particular DSLR models and know how to plan!

Sample:

Model: D700
    Actuations at Failure: 167,000
    Comments: I was motor driving at a Football game when it happened. Thankfully I had my backup body close by!

Here's a database to add to.

http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/sitemap.php
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2010
    I've got a D300 that is rougly at the quarter-million mark. Still running fine, although I do get it serviced every year or so. The grip rubber falls off every 6 months, the magnesium alloy frame has plenty of scrapes and the battery compartment suffered a pretty severe blow that almost pinched the battery inside.

I tend to run my equipment into the ground. My 1st camera, a D70 in 2004 or 2005, (the year it came out?) got to maybe a half-million shutter clicks before I got rid of it. It has all sorts of issues, including the memory card CHA issue, the BGLOD, and other things, but the shutter worked perfectly.

=Matt=

Matt, I'm curious about your use of camera bodies. As a working pro, do you use these older bodies until they're dead, or do you regularly update? I ask b/c I purchased my D300 from a local wedding photog who was going to D700 bodies, and I've recently learned that she is replacing (refreshing?) her D700 with a new one. She offered to sell her ~1 yr/old D700 to a friend of mine, who is just getting into the portrait/wedding business. My friend says that this pro replaces her camera(s) every year, I assume that's to make sure it's new and in good working order so it/they doesn't/don't fail during a job.

So to see you say you have such high shutter count bodies makes me wonder if you are using them regularly, or if you simply still have them but don't use the older ones on paying gigs?

It's strictly curiosity, I am not nor do I plan to be a pro, and I plan to use my gear until it stops working. I'm just wondering if this is kind of SOP for pros, or if she is just being ultra conservative. :D
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2010
    Matt, I'm curious about your use of camera bodies. As a working pro, do you use these older bodies until they're dead, or do you regularly update? I ask b/c I purchased my D300 from a local wedding photog who was going to D700 bodies, and I've recently learned that she is replacing (refreshing?) her D700 with a new one. She offered to sell her ~1 yr/old D700 to a friend of mine, who is just getting into the portrait/wedding business. My friend says that this pro replaces her camera(s) every year, I assume that's to make sure it's new and in good working order so it/they doesn't/don't fail during a job.

So to see you say you have such high shutter count bodies makes me wonder if you are using them regularly, or if you simply still have them but don't use the older ones on paying gigs?

It's strictly curiosity, I am not nor do I plan to be a pro, and I plan to use my gear until it stops working. I'm just wondering if this is kind of SOP for pros, or if she is just being ultra conservative. :D
    I use all my camera bodies until they die, yes, and my D300 is still my main body. However I keep backups at the ready whenever I'm on an important job. Depending on the situation, I might also rent a D700 or 5D mk2.

Everything, to answer your ultimate query, is about calculated risk and how you can minimize it without breaking your bank. Replacing a camera every single year is probably overkill, even if the photographer is the spray-and-pray type, but I won't ever pass judgment on someone who can afford to stack the odds in their favor. They're minimizing a risk.

However, these are professional cameras we're buying, made for professional reliability, and getting your camera checked out and serviced once a year is more than enough. Heck, a whole new shutter is just $300 I think.

But like I said, it is a professional's job to minimize risk, so whatever floats their boat!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    red knotred knot Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 30, 2012
    I bought my D700 when it first came out. I work a great deal in performing arts, low light performing arts, string for numerous media outlets, maybe several sporting events each week, teach, yearbook contracts and have my own studio, anything that makes a decent dollar. This evening my shutter checked out, the last I looked at it, a few clicks under 400,000. Not to shabby. I have friends with D300's, close to 800,000 clicks. Lucky I guess.