Canon 1.4x extender II

BeezeBeeze Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited January 11, 2010 in Cameras
Hello,

I am thinking of picking up the Canon 1.4x extender and I am wondering if:

1. Are rebates ever offered for this? I do not believe so but I am in no hurry to purchase.

2. Anyone use this with the Canon 100-400L? Any thoughts on the IQ or use with this lens?

Thank you!

RJ

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited January 9, 2010
    No current USA rebate program for the 1.4x II TC. FWIW, the 1.4x II is very very good on most all of Canon's long L glass. The IQ is incredible. I also have a Tamron 1.4x and the difference in quality is night and day.

I use mine with the 400 f/5.6 L and the 70-200 f/4 L IS. The TC reports its presence in EXIF data for most lens combinations (with Canon lenses only AFAIK).

Rebates for the TC's come once in a great while. There was one 13 months ago, long since over.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • AldazarAldazar Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    Any thoughts on the 2x extender?

Sorry if this is considered thread hijacking, feel free to delete if it is!
  • r9jacksonr9jackson Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    Technical aspects of extender
    I have not used an extender before. How much loss of light does it impart? Is it several stops?
  • AldazarAldazar Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    r9jackson wrote:
    I have not used an extender before. How much loss of light does it impart? Is it several stops?

I think it's 1 stop for the 1.4x and I'm reasonably sure it's 2 stops for the 2.0x.
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    Significant drop of IQ with 2X on the 500mm F4 compare to 1.4X.
    But both do not have any difference on 70-200 F2.8 IS.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • BeezeBeeze Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    I have read enough opinions about the 2x to know I don't want to go that route. Loss of IQ and 2 stops, no thanks.

I finally cracked the cover of my latest issue to Outdoor Photographer and about three or four pages in is a Grand Prize winning photo for a contest. The lens set up, 100-400 and the 1.4x. I think that answers my question!

Now finding the $300.

Thanks all!

RJ
  • codruscodrus Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    It's worth remembering that the 100-400 is f/5.6 at the long end and will be f/8 with the 1.4x, which is too slow for autofocus on most of the less expensive camera bodies.

I've used the 1.4x on my 70-200 2.8 IS and the results were great.
  • SirGeorgeSirGeorge Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    I.1 extender with a 100-400
    I use this with the 100-400 and wasn't plug and play as I had to tape off some pins to make the AF work ( don't have the details as it was a couple of years ago but search the forum).

The speed to focus is very slow but the IQ is pretty good. I tend not to use it too much because of it's sluggishness but it depends on the the of photography you do.

Regards,

George.

codrus wrote:
    It's worth remembering that the 100-400 is f/5.6 at the long end and will be f/8 with the 1.4x, which is too slow for autofocus on most of the less expensive camera bodies.

I've used the 1.4x on my 70-200 2.8 IS and the results were great.
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    2X is good for traval kit.
    My usual gear set is 24-105 F4 and the 70-200 F2.8. In case I want to have some wild life shooting, I will add the 2X in the backpack. It gives me coverage from 24 to 400 mm with the 5D. The 2X only bring the F-stop to 5.6 and yet do-able in most of day light situation. It is much lighter than bring along the 100-400 F5.6.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • HeatherWBHeatherWB Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    David_S85 wrote:
    No current USA rebate program for the 1.4x II TC. FWIW, the 1.4x II is very very good on most all of Canon's long L glass. The IQ is incredible. I also have a Tamron 1.4x and the difference in quality is night and day.

Which Tamron 1.4x are you using the black one or the white one (pro-series)? I'm planning on picking one up within the next couple of months and am leaning towards the Tamron 1.4x pro. I'd go with the Canon, but it won't work on my Tamron 90 macro. I also intend on using it with my 70-200/4 IS.

Thanks!
    Heather :)
    My blog: Heather's Lightbox
    My pics
    "He who cannot dance will say: "The drum is bad!" --African proverb.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited January 11, 2010
    HeatherWB wrote:
    Which Tamron 1.4x are you using the black one or the white one (pro-series)? I'm planning on picking one up within the next couple of months and am leaning towards the Tamron 1.4x pro. I'd go with the Canon, but it won't work on my Tamron 90 macro. I also intend on using it with my 70-200/4 IS.
    Thanks!
    Heather :)

Haven't ever used a Tammy pro TC.

I have the black Tammy TC; the model that doesn't report apertures (so no taping of pins necessary). I got it originally for my 400 5.6 so it could still autofocus on my 20D (doesn't work as well on the 40D). The IQ is acceptable, but somewhat slow to focus.

The Canon 1.4x II TC is for my 70-200 4 L IS, which is a wonderful combination and focuses great on the 40D. The Canon TC does work with the 400, but won't autofocus because it drives the min. effective aperture down to f/8.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky