Engineering the future

pgaviriapgaviria Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
edited January 11, 2010 in People
760931067_bcZjv-X2-1.jpg

My brother tagged along to a photoshoot I had because he wanted to get a free hair cut, and I shot him and this photo came out of that. A little background (don't want to ruin the first impression of the photo, but I assume you already looked at it and formed your opinions on it) he is currently a an electronic and mechanical engineering student in Flint, MI. From what he's told me he really wants to go into designing super-efficient cars.

All criticism is very much appreciated!

Comments

• du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    Nice idea...

Here's what I see - for what it's worth...

His eyes are looking off to the left - behind him. The size of the lightbulb is too large to be behind him. Make the lightbulb a bit smaller.

The lightbulb itself is not "blended" in with the rest of the frame. It looks photoshopped. (I know it is, but...) Maybe try some burning, or an exposure layer mask or something like that to make it "fit" a bit more.

Thanks for posting - good luck.
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
  • 0bscura0bscura Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    du8die wrote:
    It looks photoshopped. (I know it is, but...) Maybe try some burning, or an exposure layer mask or something like that to make it "fit" a bit more.

This is one of those shots where I would have gone out tossed a lightbulb 30-40 times in a grassy area where it's not going to break until I got the perfect shot. Doing it analogue would be fun and insure that lighting, perspective, and eye contact is exactly as it should be. :-)
  • The_Fat_ZebraThe_Fat_Zebra Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    Or you hang your lamp of a tree branch or a lamp pole or something and clone out the wire afterwards.
    Street & Portrait because of the people. Landscape because it's pretty.
    Disappointed with AF of Tamron 28-75 2.8, me less happy.
  • Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    Or you hang your lamp of a tree branch or a lamp pole or something and clone out the wire afterwards.

4lb test clear fishing line. you'll never see it. if you do, shoot from a distance with a wide aperture lens and a longer focal length to diminish your DOF and crop it back down. You'll never see the fishing line.
  • bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    Not to be nitpicking here, but in addition to all the other suggestions there's one thing that bugs me about this shot. The whole expression of a light bulb going off when an idea sparks usually works better if the light bulb is actually lit! :D

Put those PS skills to work and get a shot of the bulb lit, then take another shot of the base of the bulb separately and then combine the two to make a complete bulb.
  • pgaviriapgaviria Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    very good point about the bulb not being on! I don't mind that the bulb looks composited, I think it makes the image look a bit more modern, but I would like to have a lit bulb so maybe I'll actually photograph a bulb and do it again (this one I found in google images)