Options

Lollapalooza Day 2 (even longer post)

gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
edited July 31, 2005 in The Big Picture
We learned from Saturday that we didn't need to get there very early so we got to Grant Park at about 10:30AM and the gates opened soon after. We immediately filled up our Camel Backs at the closest drinking fountains because it was already getting pretty hot out and we had about 11 hours left to go before we went home.

The first band we saw was The Changes:
29774227-M.jpg

They were the only unsigned band to play Lollapalooza this year and they sounded pretty good. The lead singer sounded better than the guitarist singing, they traded off songs throughout the set. I'm glad we didn't say anything at the time because half way through the set they pointed out the older couple standing next to us as the guitarists parents. That would have sucked.

We skipped Saul Williams and the Ponys in order to get a better spot at Kasabian. Josie missed them when they played here last so she wanted to make sure she got a good spot.
29766881-M.jpg

Kasabian is great. I had heard of them from XM radio but didn't really get into them. Josie has been trying to get me to listen to them more lately but i didn't think I liked them. Well now I love them. Some bands I really need to see in concert to decide if I like them or not. I would definitely go to see them again

By this time it was probably the hottest time of the day
29774526-M.jpg
which I am told was 104 with a heat index of over 115 degrees, a record for the day and 1 degree shy of a record for the month of July. Needless we had drained our Camel Backs and bottled water so it was time to hit the water fountains and get some food. Near the food tents we ran into some friends we knew were going to be down there but had missed the day before. So we chowed down, drank some Smart water and Vitamin water and watched this guy spray down half naked girls with a hose.
29774381-M.jpg

Now that was some lunchtime entertainment. The funniest thing about it was that he was just one of the grounds guys that had a hose and was probably just asked to spray someone that was hot, and then someone else, and then a line formed. From the smile on his face that was the highlight of his day, spraying down 14-2? year old girls with a garden hose. Bwahahahahahaha....

Next up was Satellite Party:
29769529-M.jpg

If you have never hear of them don't wory, it was their first live show ever. They are Perry Farrell of Janes Addiction, No Doubt Bassist Tony Kanal, Nuno Bettencourt of Extreme, and percussionist Gabriele Corcos. They weren't bad. I don't think I would pay just to see them though. Their performance was good, I just wasn't into the music that much.

We took another water and shade break after Satellite party and then went to see the most interesting group of the day, the Arcade Fire:
29770075-M.jpg
29771326-M.jpg
29770386-M.jpg

If you can, go and see this band. It will be one of the most entertaing shows you have seen in a long time. They run around, beat each other on the head with drumsticks while wearing helmets, call a French horn a yelrotflmao.gif "Freedom horn"yelrotflmao.gif , and at the end the lead singer jumps off the stage and walks through the entire crowd. Good times for all.

We stayed at the same stage to get a good spot for the Killers. I went and got some more water. I swear I drank at lest two gallons of water throughout the day. They were even passing out free bottled water by the golf cart full,
29774487-M.jpg

had CTA busses set up as cooling stations
29774435-M.jpg

and were filling up water bottles at the front of the stages with hoses. For it being soo hot, they really did a good job of keeping people hydrated. Lollapalooza was on of the best put together shows of its size I have been to. There were enough bathrooms, food was relatively cheap and really good, there were plenty of volunteers picking up trash and answering questions, good Job Perry.

Enough of that, on to the Killers:
29774304-M.jpg

This is the 3rd time I have seen them and they were once again good. the show is pretty much the same each time and Brandon Flowers isn't that exciting on stage. I still enjoyed the show and they performed well, it just wasn't that exciting the 3rd time.

Finally we went to see Death Cab For Cutie:
29774269-M.jpg

They were a nice mellow ending to the day. By now the sun was almost gone

29774501-M.jpg

and we were ready to take a shower and go to sleep. They played great and would be an excellent band to see at a small club. They were the only band that did an encore which was pretty cool because it totally caught us off guard and they went 10 minutes over their time.

Oh..I almost forgot about Beatle Bob: www.nodepression.net/archive/nd04/depts/screendoor.html
29765380-M.jpg

Did you click on his name? Well what's stopping you, this will make more sense if you do. He was back once again and apparently we have good taste in music because he was on-stage at every group we went to see. On Saturday he even introduced The Black Keys and was brought out on stage to dance for the Kaiser Cheifs. Every time you see him it just brings a smile to your face.

Also I think I'm in love:
29774329-M.jpg

She was at almost ever stage and was one of the few photographers on stage. I don't even know her name but who cares, it's good to have a crush on a random person ever once in a while.
P.S. If this is you please don't be offended, take it as a compliment and my phone number is 630-IHe-artU. HAHAiloveyou.gif

I am still uploading pictures but I will try to finish tomarow and put up links to the galleries here so check back for more pictures from both days.
Nick
SmugMug Technical Account Manager
Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
nickwphoto

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2005
    Looks like a good time gluwater...thanks for showing us around.

Gus
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2005
    gluwater wrote:
    P.S. If this is you please don't be offended, take it as a compliment and my phone number is 630-IHe-artU. HAHAiloveyou.gif

lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2005
    clap.gif Thanks for the comment Gus, i thought this post would never get one.

Thanks Andythumb.gif , I was hopeing someone would find that funny.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto