Options

Elements 7 and Windows 7

JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
edited January 20, 2010 in Finishing School
I have elements 7 on my xp with aproximatly 25000 images cataloged. I am in the process of insuring that all the images are moved to my external hard drive. Then what? There has to be more than just loading it up on the new computer. Is there a file on my current computer that contains the catalog information? I have read that my XP version will run on Windows 7. Help please, I am in desperate need of faster processing.

Comments

• Options
    JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    I'm thinking I was not clear enough. I bought a new computer with Windows 7. I understand that my Elements 7 will run on it. My pics are all on an external hard drive. Do i just load up the Elements on the new computer? Won't I loose all the keywords? I started a back up and restore process but with 20,000 + images that will take days. Is there a catalog fille I need to move to the new computer?
  • Options
    edlinedlin Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    I'm thinking I was not clear enough. I bought a new computer with Windows 7. I understand that my Elements 7 will run on it. My pics are all on an external hard drive. Do i just load up the Elements on the new computer? Won't I loose all the keywords? I started a back up and restore process but with 20,000 + images that will take days. Is there a catalog fille I need to move to the new computer?

Since no one has relied to you I thought I'd give you shout.
    You need to backup your catlalog (Click File, Backup to CD, DVD,Harddrive) FROM YOUR OLD COMPUTER. If you have a enough room on on hard drive, then backup your catalog to the hard drive, else CD or DVD. Connect your hard drive to your new computer and install PSE software. Then RESTORE your catalog.
  • Options
    edlinedlin Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    edlin wrote:
    Since no one has relied to you I thought I'd give you shout.
    You need to backup your catlalog (Click File, Backup to CD, DVD,Harddrive) FROM YOUR OLD COMPUTER. If you have a enough room on on hard drive, then backup your catalog to the hard drive, else CD or DVD. Connect your hard drive to your new computer and install PSE software. Then RESTORE your catalog.

Sorry, I should have added, use the full backup option, since this the 1st time you are backing up your catalog. In the furture, do a incermental backup. Make sure you keep your full backup catalog.