Fairtrade Fashion

MisterMcCruffMisterMcCruff Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
edited January 11, 2010 in People
A shot I did today, last minute and a little rushed, for the Fairtrade fashion challenge press release:

4264061480_6be5c7b6f4.jpg

The concept is to take old knackered clothing and make something useful out of it.
Hat = old t-shirt
Bag = old jeans
Cardigan = battered and machine shrunken, ready for the bin, given a new lease of life with some cute new buttons and cuffs.

Model: Nicky Short
Designer: Clem Short (www.clemshortcouture.com)

Ideally, we'd have liked to have done this earlier in the day so we had some ambient light but timings didn't work out so we ended up doing the shoot at about 6pm on my deck just as the snow started to fall again.

30D + 17-40 F4L.

Exposure: 1/200th
Aperture: f/9.0
Focal Length: 19 mm
ISO: 500

Strobist:
430EXII + shoot-through brolly high camera left at 1/4 power as key light.
SB24 at 1/16 power, bare, camera right for rim.

C+C gratefully received.
Chris :)
Cameras: Gripped 30D, EOS 33 35mm, Ricoh KR10, Sony DSC-H7.
Lenses:
Canon 17-40mm f/4 L USM, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II, Canon 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM.
Lighting:
Canon 430EX II, Nikon SB24, Konig stand, Stofen omnibounce, 33" brolly, DIY beauty dish + diffusers.
Misc: UV+CPL filters, reverse mount adapters, Velbon tripod. Photoshop CS3

*clicky flickr clicky*

Comments

• CTUphotoCTUphoto Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    I like it. I also really dig that you posted the strobist data...helps me really conceptualize the set up. Thanks for sharing!
    Justin Benson
    CTU Photography
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    Ohhhh! I like it & thanks for sharing your behind-the-scenes-info clap.gifiloveyou.gif
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    What a fun shot!

I do have a question though... did I read correctly that you are firing a nikon flash with your canon? I have read a lot lately about the superiority of Nikon flash system, but I am curious how you did it... and why...
  • MisterMcCruffMisterMcCruff Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    Thanks guys! :)
    Heatherfeather, I do apologise! I usually mention that I fire the flashes with a phottix radio trigger set.

The receivers simply clip onto the flash hotshoes and the transmitter slots into the camera's.

Personally, because I light manually, there's nothing in it between Nikon and Canon flashes - they're just a tool to get light onto a subject. My 430EXII has a much higher guide-number (more powerful) than the SB24 so I tend to use that as a key light and the Nikon just for a bit of rim or occasionally hair or fill light.

I hope that helps a bit :)

Here's another one I edited this morning:
    4265730732_a0b055f3c5.jpg
    Cameras: Gripped 30D, EOS 33 35mm, Ricoh KR10, Sony DSC-H7.
    Lenses:
    Canon 17-40mm f/4 L USM, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II, Canon 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM.
    Lighting:
    Canon 430EX II, Nikon SB24, Konig stand, Stofen omnibounce, 33" brolly, DIY beauty dish + diffusers.
    Misc: UV+CPL filters, reverse mount adapters, Velbon tripod. Photoshop CS3

*clicky flickr clicky*
  • The_Fat_ZebraThe_Fat_Zebra Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    I like the first shot you posted best, the second a bit less because one side of the model is quite dark, especially her face.

My noob thoughts :)
    Street & Portrait because of the people. Landscape because it's pretty.
    Disappointed with AF of Tamron 28-75 2.8, me less happy.
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010