Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 Samples

kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
edited January 11, 2010 in Cameras
After some frustrating low temperature, high altitude yoga trying to get everything in the frame that I wanted, I bit the bullet & pulled the trigger on a Tokina 11-16mm 2.8.

I have yet to capture anything fantastic from it - and that's my fault, not the lens. However, I have a few samples for you to consider:

1) 100% hand held crop, ~1/4 mile away.
762004250_T7KvJ-L.jpg

2) 11mm 1/15 2.8 ISO400, handheld in 19 degrees. Click here for the Original Size.
762004497_kBoxv-L.jpg

3) Vignetting added by me; Evaluating it's story telling ability in compositions
762004747_WdGZ6-L.jpg

This is a very sharp piece of glass. :thumb If your on the fence for which superwide for a DX to buy - you gotta try this thing out. 18mm looks SO narrow after staring through this for a few hours. :rofl

Like other Tokina's and Tamron's, the AF/Manual adjustment on the lens is a push/pull focus collar. Love it or hate it. The build quality is very good. The only "gotcha" is that you have to be very careful with which filter you use with it. At a 77mm you will need to find a very thin filter set for it - The Promaster thins work great, and are some of the cleanest filters I've ever seen - but they are far, far FAR from cheap.
--Kres

Comments

• insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    I'd like to see samples with this lens on a full frame body.
  • kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    insanefred wrote:
    I'd like to see samples with this lens on a full frame body.

Suuuuure. You wanna send me a D700 or a D3 and I'll be happy to help with that. rolleyes1.gif

In another post, I've heard that you can use Tokina at 14-16mm with an FX body with perfect results. Makes total sense with the size of the elements and the construction of the lens. ~$599 and a 14mm 2.8, not the worst choice in the world. Sigma fans might not agree. mwink.gif

Anyway, that is a good compromise if your carrying a DX back up for jobs.
    --Kres