Fast, low light lens.

Foxy xoFoxy xo Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited January 25, 2010 in Cameras
I just need some recommendations for a fast, low light lens.
Preferably not too expensive.

For my Canon 50D.

Thanks.

Comments

• Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    Unfortunately, those things combined typically result in high dollar glass. A couple questions come to mind.

1. What are you planning on shooting?
    2. Do you need/want a zoom or a prime lens?
    3. What is your actual budget when you say "not too expensive"?

I personally shoot Nikon but have heard good things about Canon's 50mm f/1.8 lens (Nikon's version rocks too). Can't beat it for the price I imagine.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    50 1.8 or 1.4
    85 1.8
    100 2.0

All of those are fast, light and relatively inexpensive (under $450 new, easily found used under $350 and, in the case of the 50 1.8, under $100)
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    divamum wrote:
    50 1.8 or 1.4
    85 1.8
    100 2.0

All of those are fast, light and relatively inexpensive (under $450 new, easily found used under $350 and, in the case of the 50 1.8, under $100)

I second divamum's excellent recommendations.

I would add the Canon EF 35mm f/2 as another option. I own it and it's quite a decent little lens. I've heard some people say it isn't sharp wide open, but my copy is quite usable at f/2 -- not tack-sharp, but unless you plan to make three-foot-wide prints of your images, it should be quite adequate.

I have both of the 50mm lenses and they're great. Most of the time I prefer the f/1.4 because it has USM (that is, it focuses faster, and silently), plus it's sharper than the f/1.8 at f/2 and has better bokeh. The main advantage of the f/1.8 lens is its price; it's a fantastic deal for the money, very sharp from f/2.8 on, but not as nice as the f/1.4.

I have not used the 85mm f/1.8 and 100mm f/2 myself, but I have read up on them (and the more expensive 135mm f/2L) in the course of trying to decide which of them to buy. My impression is that the 100mm f/2 is a bit sharper, especially wide open, than the 85mm f/1.8.

However, I have one question for the OP: For what purpose do you want low-light lenses? If you want to take photos of indoor family events, then you may find 50mm or longer to offer too narrow a field of view on a 50D. In that case the 35mm f/2 is your best bet, I think.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Foxy xoFoxy xo Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    craig_d wrote:
    I second divamum's excellent recommendations.

I would add the Canon EF 35mm f/2 as another option. I own it and it's quite a decent little lens. I've heard some people say it isn't sharp wide open, but my copy is quite usable at f/2 -- not tack-sharp, but unless you plan to make three-foot-wide prints of your images, it should be quite adequate.

I have both of the 50mm lenses and they're great. Most of the time I prefer the f/1.4 because it has USM (that is, it focuses faster, and silently), plus it's sharper than the f/1.8 at f/2 and has better bokeh. The main advantage of the f/1.8 lens is its price; it's a fantastic deal for the money, very sharp from f/2.8 on, but not as nice as the f/1.4.

I have not used the 85mm f/1.8 and 100mm f/2 myself, but I have read up on them (and the more expensive 135mm f/2L) in the course of trying to decide which of them to buy. My impression is that the 100mm f/2 is a bit sharper, especially wide open, than the 85mm f/1.8.

However, I have one question for the OP: For what purpose do you want low-light lenses? If you want to take photos of indoor family events, then you may find 50mm or longer to offer too narrow a field of view on a 50D. In that case the 35mm f/2 is your best bet, I think.

Thanks for the replies, and thanks for your in-depth post.
    And I'm talking really low light, like, music shows.
  • PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    I recommend the 50 f1.8 if you're on a budget. I shoot Nikon, but if it has similar performance constraints as the Nikon 50 f1.8, you should do fine with the lens. The one thing you will need to worry about is high ISO noise. I am not familiar with the ISO noise produced by the 50d, but if it produces bad noise, you will need to get the f1.4.

I shoot Nikon (D90) and took the following gallery in a club exclusively with the 50 f1.8 Nikon lens.
    http://www.djdimages.com/Music/Christian-Beach-CD-Release/10386495_uF9rF#719248644_FfLNE
    http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln
  • MPar64MPar64 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 11, 2010
    Fast lenses and low light option
    I have a Canon 40D and looking at 17-55 2.8 lens to purchase. I have a Canon 85mm 2.8 and learning to love it. I looked at a Tamron but have always been a Canon lenses fan. Any experiences out there with the Tamron and/or this particular lenses - Canon or not??
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    MPar64 wrote:
    I have a Canon 40D and looking at 17-55 2.8 lens to purchase. I have a Canon 85mm 2.8 and learning to love it. I looked at a Tamron but have always been a Canon lenses fan. Any experiences out there with the Tamron and/or this particular lenses - Canon or not??

I have the Tamron 17-50 2.8 (non-vc) - nice sharp lens but it probably won't help the OP as they will likely need more than 50mm
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited January 11, 2010
    MPar64 wrote:

MPar64, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

If you are asking about the Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f/2.8 IS USM, I have that lens and it is a very good to excellent performer in almost every feature. The build is not up to Canon's best, but everything else is professional quality and you can get professional results.

It's probably not a first choice in extremely low light without flash. For that purpose, nothing beats a fast prime lens.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited January 11, 2010
    craig_d wrote:
    I

I have had both, and my 100 at 2.0 was definitely sharper than my 85 at 1.8, but there were times when that extra tickle of light - and the ability to hand hold at a slower shutter speed - made the difference in getting the shot or not.

I used both for live performance shooting; I found the 100 was a better focal length for me, and only let it go (recently) because I needed to fund a 135L, which is possibly the best low-light tele out there... but it's expensive and does need the higher shutter speed because of the longer focal length.

I have a Tamron 17-50 2.8 which I absolutely love, but 2.8 lenses often don't cut it in performance light. Even with IS to stabilize the *lens*, you still need some speed to capture the motion on the stage.

For your purposes, OP, I'd suggest that the 85, 100, or 135 are you best choices, combined with a fast 50 to give you more room when you need to capture something a little wider. That's the combination I now use for theatrical conditions (where the light is sometimes a bit better than concerts/music gigs) and it works well.
    edited January 11, 2010
    Foxy, I do suggest a fast prime lens and the focal length will depend upon the distance to the subject and the desired angle of view.

Our Andy got fantastic results with a Canon EF 85mm, f1.8 USM at concert:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=11413

If you need an even faster aperture the EF 50mm, f1.4 USM is OK wide open if you plan on sharpening later. It's about as fast as you can get unless you get "very" expensive.
    ziggy53
    edited January 11, 2010
    Thanks for everyone's input, greatly appreciated.

I decided to purchase the 85mm f1.8, over the other recommendations. One small reason being that it's cheaper, does the job I need it to, and will allow me to also purchase a fish eye that I'm after.

Which brings me to another question.

Recommendation for a fairly cheap, reliable fish eye lens. No particular purpose I need it especially for, just want to shoot some cool shots with it.

Thanks again everybody!

EDIT: I actually found the Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM at only around $50 more than the 85 1.8, so I'll be getting that instead, looks like a better lens for my circumstances, hope someone can agree with me.
    edited January 11, 2010
    Foxy xo wrote:
    ... Recommendation for a fairly cheap, reliable fish eye lens. No particular purpose I need it especially for, just want to shoot some cool shots with it.

Check out this thread for the fisheye lens:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=154708

Regarding the difference between the Canon 85mm, f1.8 and 100mm, f2, they are more similar than different. Choose according to best focal length for your application.
    ziggy53
    edited January 11, 2010
    Okay, so I've reverted my choice, and I've chosen to get the Canon 85mm, f1.8.

When using flash, is it recommended to use another flash as well as the one built in to the camera?

Thanks, and sorry for all the questions!
    edited January 12, 2010
    Foxy xo wrote:
    ... When using flash, is it recommended to use another flash as well as the one built in to the camera?

An external flash can offer several advantages to the built-in flash:

It moves the flash further up and away from the axis of the lens, reducing red eye and improving shadows (a little).

Many external flashes also allow tilting the flash head which in turn allows bounce flash, feathered flash and the use of flash modifiers like "bounce with fill card".

Some external flashes also allow a swivel function which is often beneficial for additional bounce options, like bouncing off of a wall or using bounce in the vertical/portrait orientation of the camera.

You can also mount an external flash on a flash bracket or even move the flash completely away from the camera, allowing tremendous flexibility in the direction and quality of the light. (This generally requires some sort of additional flash trigger to move the flash away from the camera.)
    ziggy53
    edited January 12, 2010
    Foxy xo wrote:
    Okay, so I've reverted my choice, and I've chosen to get the Canon 85mm, f1.8.

You'll be fine with either. I preferred the 100 f2 simply because I needed the extra reach, but the 85 was a fine lens, and the only reasons I swapped it out was for the extra length. They're both pretty easy to sell, too, should you decide you actually want to swap out for the other once you've tried it.
    edited January 18, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    An external flash can offer several advantages to the built-in flash:

It moves the flash further up and away from the axis of the lens, reducing red eye and improving shadows (a little).

Many external flashes also allow tilting the flash head which in turn allows bounce flash, feathered flash and the use of flash modifiers like "bounce with fill card".

Some external flashes also allow a swivel function which is often beneficial for additional bounce options, like bouncing off of a wall or using bounce in the vertical/portrait orientation of the camera.

You can also mount an external flash on a flash bracket or even move the flash completely away from the camera, allowing tremendous flexibility in the direction and quality of the light. (This generally requires some sort of additional flash trigger to move the flash away from the camera.)
    Okay thank you, I'll do a little homework on the subject.
    divamum wrote:
    You'll be fine with either. I preferred the 100 f2 simply because I needed the extra reach, but the 85 was a fine lens, and the only reasons I swapped it out was for the extra length. They're both pretty easy to sell, too, should you decide you actually want to swap out for the other once you've tried it.

Lets just say that I'm able to get on the side of the stage while the band is playing, will the 85mm be sufficient, or will I need something lower?

And what's the disadvantage of using a non-prime lens to do work like this?
    edited January 18, 2010
    Foxy xo wrote:

Lets just say that I'm able to get on the side of the stage while the band is playing, will the 85mm be sufficient, or will I need something lower?

Zoom lenses have a range of focal lengths and therefore, a range of different fields of view. This allows different compositions from the same vantage point. This is a tremendous time saver and lends itself to more creative uses of composition.

Prime lenses often have larger apertures and some primes are also very sharp wide open. A larger aperture allows faster shutter speeds and/or lower ISO settings.

Which focal length you use depends on distance to subject and how you wish to frame the subject. For instance, do you want more intimacy with the subject or you do you want to show the subject in their setting?
    ziggy53
    edited January 18, 2010
    Foxy xo wrote:

I'd go with the 85 for that situation, although you may even find that a tad long. That's where a fast 50 (or even a 35) comes in handy, remembering that if you shoot a little loose you can still crop down afterwards. As I said above, I really like having two fast primes of diffferent focal lengths for performance shooting; it's rare that I only use one of them.

Why primes? They're generally faster, and in the complex lighting conditions of performance situations, every lumen you can get onto your sensor is usually a blessing. It can be a pain not to be able to frame each shot ideally from one position and to be constantly lens swapping (2 bodies makes this much easier!), but 2.8 lenses often just aren't quite fast enough to cope with some of the challenging lighting. Even IS is only minimally useful - sure, it means you can handhold at slower speeds which can be helpful, BUT it won't slow down the motion on the stage so you may still get blurring.
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2010
    The 17-55 is a great lens but not low cost.

You better stick with Divamum's original proposal or open your wallet. Depends a lot on what kind of photos you want to take from your vantage point. 17-55 gives you some flexibility. 85 is great for a portrait style but limited in flexibility. 50 probably combines the worst of both worlds.
    edited January 22, 2010
    So I got my 85mm 1.8 in the mail and I think it's too long! So I'm contemplating getting the EF-S 17-55mm f2.8.

But Wow, the bokeh on the 85mm is fantastic!
    I'm going to keep it, as it was only $380, and it's a hassle to return items in the mail. Even if it is too long for what I need it for, it will have it's other uses, and the bokeh is just too good to pass up!

Are there any cheaper alternatives to the EF-S 17-55mm f2.8?

Thanks.
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2010
    Foxy xo wrote:
    So I got my 85mm 1.8 in the mail and I think it's too long! So I'm contemplating getting the EF-S 17-55mm f2.8.

But Wow, the bokeh on the 85mm is fantastic!
    I'm going to keep it, as it was only $380, and it's a hassle to return items in the mail. Even if it is too long for what I need it for, it will have it's other uses, and the bokeh is just too good to pass up!

Are there any cheaper alternatives to the EF-S 17-55mm f2.8?

Thanks.

there are cheaper (and better!) alternatives -
    Tamron 17-50 2.8

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0&Lens=400&Camera=474&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=398

also look at the new Sigma 18-50 2.8
    edited January 22, 2010
    +1 on the Tamron (I have one and love it), but in concert light it will likely only be possible to use it successfully at 35 or wider (where you can let the shutter speed drop). 2.8 is really on the edge for performance shooting unless you can be SURE that you're going to have a lot of bright light...

I'd still encourage you to try a fast 50 prime for something wider. The 1.8 can be picked up cheaply used and is only ~$100 new. It's noisy, and build and AF speed aren't as nice as the 85 (which is one of Canon's best non-L lenses) but it does the job and is amazing value for money. That plus the 85 make a great combo.
  • TGAllenTGAllen Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    I've recently paired a Sigma 30mm f1.4 with my 50D and have had good results with it so far. It's quiet and the focus is fast. It's a little pricey at around $450. Here's a link to a couple of snapshots I took with it in a low light venue. http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=155794&page=2

I have the Tamron 15-50 f2.8 also, which is a great lens. It's a little noisier than the Sigma.