Options

Reflecting on your work.

Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
edited January 11, 2010 in Street and Documentary
Please help....B&W or Color? C&C on the image is appreciated also. Thanks!! :thumb

4265084648_e086ca9096_o.jpg4265084686_6b8406ac7e_o.jpg

Comments

• Options
    canghuixucanghuixu Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    Personally, I think the B&W works better here.
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    On the C&C side, I do like the concept and the results. If it was a chance sighting...nice spot.

I think I'd like the crop not quite so close at the top and bottom. That area above the hat the rail is just a bit too thin.

You don't need color for this to work, but the repetition of the orange in the hat and the orange in the seawall ties things together nicely. You might clone or paint out the orange in the camera case since that is not repeated and kinda distracts.

The b&w works almost equally well, but you do lose some detail in the faces (above and below), but that's offset by losing the brightness of the hand color.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2010
    I was wondering about the tightness of the crop top and bottom and do have some room to widen. Unfortunately, there are some things to the top that tend to be distracting as well. I was really happy to get a shot of just this gentleman by himself as it was the last day of free admission for 10 days at the local Chinese Gardens in celebration of their 10 year anniversary. There were A TON of people there!!!

Thank you very much for the constructive comments. Very much appreciated. bowdown.gif
  • Options
    Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    A lot of times when you go B&W, more detail pops out. But in this one, I think your losing it. Especially in the reflection. The swirl of colors looks way better in my opinion. :D
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2010
    Thanks...I particularly liked the green in the water myself thumb.gif
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    I agree about the green, but I think there should be more space around the edges. The centres of attention are too near the edge of the frame. I think I might have just used the bottom third of the picture, using the water and the lower reflection, with just a bit more space below the reflected man (see below).

It seems in the original that there are two halves of the frame, and the interesting bits are too separated. The waterline, though interesting in itself, is splitting the picture into two distinct halves.

I think the colour has it, if only for the green!

Great exposure & focus, BTW… (…although the shadows have blocked up in the pants - another good reason for shedding the top half, perhaps!)

Thanks for sharing! thumb.gif

- Wil

Here you go (I'll remove if you don't like):
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2010
    Wil Davis wrote:
    I agree about the green, but I think there should be more space around the edges. The centres of attention are too near the edge of the frame. I think I might have just used the bottom third of the picture, using the water and the lower reflection, with just a bit more space below the reflected man (see below).

It seems in the original that there are two halves of the frame, and the interesting bits are too separated. The waterline, though interesting in itself, is splitting the picture into two distinct halves.

I think the colour has it, if only for the green!

Great exposure & focus, BTW… (…although the shadows have blocked up in the pants - another good reason for shedding the top half, perhaps!)

Thanks for sharing! thumb.gif

- Wil

Here you go (I'll remove if you don't like):

thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif