Gaf L-cs

ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
edited January 12, 2010 in Cameras
Just got the old SLR camera from my dad. This is the first SLR camera I ever touched and the camera that got me interested in photography. So there is a sentimental value to it as well as being a cool new toy.

This is a 100% manual camera. The only thing built into the camera is an exposure meter. Not even sure how it meters, as in spot, evaluative, etc... Lens's are thread mount so I am assuming M42 lens mount, but not even sure about that.

It has been close to 15 years since the camera has been touched. The flash was stored with batteries in it so it needed to be cleaned up a bit, but fresh batteries and it fires with the test button. I am hoping to use this flash with the radio triggers that I have coming. Also still has original battery in camera and the battery still works.

The flash has ZERO controls on it. It fires full blast every time.

Am looking forward to playing with this camera, primarily high ISO B&W films is what is interesting me at the moment.

Some pictures of this old beauty. Sure seems solid, build of this camera (by feel) puts the Canon 1D series to shame :) Nothing like an all metal body with no plastics :ivar

Camera body. If you know anything about this camera please let me know, I am curious.
762518777_895mK-XL.jpg

Top of camera. Love the controls, especially selected the film speed.
762518821_5dQnR-XL.jpg

Telephoto zoom lens. 85-210mm f/4.5. Remember this lens with a 2x teleconverter at airshows.
762518968_Z6jsg-XL.jpg

This is what kit lenses used to look like. All metal, lens hood, and colourful :)
762519058_7sEoE-XL.jpg

Front view of kit lens. 55mm f/1.7.... Yes f/1.7 KIT lens.
762519017_dr5rc-XL.jpg

Finally the simple old flash.
762518886_4cyRL-XL.jpg

And flash back. Love the rotary table to determine exposure based on film speed and distance. If anyone knows what the P.I. light stands for would love to know...
762518940_trfzv-XL.jpg

Would love to know more about this stuff, so if anybody knows....

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited January 11, 2010
    Note that GAF did not build their own cameras. This is a re-labeled Chinon of the same model. It even looks like your 50mm, f1.7 is a Chinon lens.

Great basic film camera and capable of very nice results. It appears to take M42/Pentax screw/Universal screw mount lenses. I still have a nice selection of screw mount lenses myself, and a few bodies that the lenses fit.

Do take the time to check the focal plane shutter by opening the back of the camera and pointing the bare body at a fairly bright light source. The film speeds should vary proportionately and slow speeds should not hesitate either the leading or trailing shutter edges.

Also try to locate an additional battery for the meter, or calibrate the film camera to your dSLR while the battery works. I think the GAF will still fire the shutter without a battery but you need to verify to be sure.

Good luck and have fun.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    Thanks Ziggy.

The littlle looking around I did today all pointed to Chinnon as well. Yes the 55mm is a Chinnon lens.

Love the feel of this thing.

Too bad but I think both prime lenses have broken apertures, or at least stuck. Can't seem to get them to close down either with the aperture ring or the little post for automatic aperture. :(

The telephoto aperture is working great though.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited January 11, 2010
    On the 55mm lens move the switch from the "A" position to the "M" position and see if that allows you to vary the aperture.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited January 11, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Do take the time to check the focal plane shutter by opening the back of the camera and pointing the bare body at a fairly bright light source. The film speeds should vary proportionately and slow speeds should not hesitate either the leading or trailing shutter edges.

Okay just did that, I think...

by focal plane shutter, I assume you mean the shutter just in front of where the film goes...

That shutter seems nice and snappy, opens all the way and seems to work great. Tried it at different film speeds and do not see any different so not sure what you are meaning there. Setting it to bulb of course lets me hold it open. At max shutter speed (1/1000) I just see a flash of light through the lens.
    It does seem like some aperture blades are closed down a touch on what I thought was a non functioning aperture lens, so that needs more poking around.
    For now need to go pick up kid from school then get ready for an interview to do some second shooting for a local wedding photographer....
    Busy day :)
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    Toshido wrote:
    Okay just did that, I think...

by focal plane shutter, I assume you mean the shutter just in front of where the film goes...

That shutter seems nice and snappy, opens all the way and seems to work great. Tried it at different film speeds and do not see any different so not sure what you are meaning there. Setting it to bulb of course lets me hold it open. At max shutter speed (1/1000) I just see a flash of light through the lens.
    It does seem like some aperture blades are closed down a touch on what I thought was a non functioning aperture lens, so that needs more poking around.
    For now need to go pick up kid from school then get ready for an interview to do some second shooting for a local wedding photographer....
    Busy day :)

Different speeds of shutter speeds (set with the large knob close to the film advance lever) rather than film speeds will also show differences in how fast the shutter opens and closes.

Please check which battery (probably a button type installed in the base of the camera). If it is a 675 and you get to using the camera regularly enough to be going through batteries, a pack of hearing aid batteries in that size will be cheaper per battery than camera batteries that are 1 per pack rather than the 6 in a pack of that size hearing aid battery. I have a different brand camera from this era and learned the battery trick from a family friend that had a camera store in the '70s. It came up because of my use of both a camera and hearing aid that take this size.

Jane B.
  • stuffjunkiestuffjunkie Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    I used to have one of these. I received it from an uncle in about 1978. It came with a few old M42 lenses. I used it a lot until the shutter got crunchy. I sold the whole lot to Adorama for a PK 24mm lens. Great memories!
    edited January 12, 2010
    Well playing with a little i came up with some good news.

First the flash works and has the AC cable. I already knew it worked with batteries by pressing the test button, but I stuck it on the camera and the camera triggers it, so i am happy with that.

The 35mm lens has a working aperture. maybe a little sluggish returning to max aperture if using automatic, but I don't have an automatic camera anyway, so not a problem. Works both in manual and automatic as well.

The 55mm aperture is unfortunately dead though. Can still use it wide open of course.

The 85-210mm lens has a slight hazy look in the lens. Just around the about half the perimeter of the lens. not sure if it will show in pictures or not. I am guessing a coating is delaminating. Worst case is mold, but I doubt it.

It does use a button battery but I doubt it will get lots of use.

Just by eye and guess it seems to meter fine, still need to compare with my digital though.