Options

White Sands, NM

EkajEkaj Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
edited January 23, 2010 in Location, Location, Location!
Going to white sands in two days, was wondering if anyone has a suggestion of where to shoot there. I was told there is a loop that has some good areas.

Comments

• Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    Ekaj wrote:
    Going to white sands in two days, was wondering if anyone has a suggestion of where to shoot there. I was told there is a loop that has some good areas.

Lots of things to shoot there. The nature trail is good if you want to shoot the sand against the tundra or have some vegetation in your shots. The trail to the Alkalai Salt Flats is good if you want to get out into the dunes where there is no vegetation and no tracks. I have been there twice and walked out a couple miles to get some shots of no people and no footprints.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Lots of things to shoot there. The nature trail is good if you want to shoot the sand against the tundra or have some vegetation in your shots. The trail to the Alkalai Salt Flats is good if you want to get out into the dunes where there is no vegetation and no tracks. I have been there twice and walked out a couple miles to get some shots of no people and no footprints.

I'll second the Alkali Flats trail. It's great for getting out in the dunes, and finding places without tracks. :D
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited January 14, 2010
    Be there almost anywhere before or after a storm, or at sunset.thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    0bscura0bscura Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2010
    Ekaj wrote:
    If you're in the area for several days take a drive up to Cloudcroft New Mexico. It's BEAUTIFUL up there and an entirely different climate. It's about an hour drive from Alamagordo.

My parents rent a cabin up there. It's cool to go out on the deck in the morning and look DOWN on the clouds in the valley below. The night sky has more visible stars than I have ever seen before.

Fh000009.jpg
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2010
    White Sands is beatuiful but the lsat time I was there it was very windy, so when I go back I am going to bring a duffle bag to put the camera down in to change lenses.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.