Smugmug and Facebook

OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
edited January 15, 2010 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
So, I am a pro smugmug user. I am also a "pro?" facebook user. I know you can use the "Be Social" link in your gallery to link your photos to facebook (which is great, by the way)...but what happens if you want the photos to be posted on your "photo business" site rather then your user site?

Does that make sense to anyone?

Cheers,

Ryan
Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    Oakley wrote:
    So, I am a pro smugmug user. I am also a "pro?" facebook user. I know you can use the "Be Social" link in your gallery to link your photos to facebook (which is great, by the way)...but what happens if you want the photos to be posted on your "photo business" site rather then your user site?

Does that make sense to anyone?

Cheers,

Ryan
    we can only go from Be Social to your user site on FB, sorry.
  • TamerlinTamerlin Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    we can only go from Be Social to your user site on FB, sorry.

It would be better for promotional purposes to link it to our fan pages rather than our personal sites.
  • ColoradoSkierColoradoSkier Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    I don't know that Facebook is making it all that easy to automate content into business "pages" at the moment, as compared to personal pages. I am finding it to be a pain actually.
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter
  • TamerlinTamerlin Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    I don't know that Facebook is making it all that easy to automate content into business "pages" at the moment, as compared to personal pages. I am finding it to be a pain actually.

Figures. You'd think that they'd want to encourage it, since there are so many features like click tracking that require fan pages.
  • ColoradoSkierColoradoSkier Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    Tamerlin wrote:
    Figures. You'd think that they'd want to encourage it, since there are so many features like click tracking that require fan pages.

I am sure they are figuring out how to charge for it first.
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter
  • aaronbrownaaronbrown Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    Andy, any word on if we'll ever be able to facebook connect to comments from a custom domain?

You can login to facebook and comment at my site from:
    http://aaronbrownphotos.smugmug.com/gallery/6690717_VVkEz

but not

http://www.aaronbrownphotos.com/gallery/6690717_VVkEz

You can see from a couple test posts there...
  • EntropicTendenciesEntropicTendencies Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    I was using SimpleMug to feed to my personal page, but it doesn't support fan/business pages.

One suggested alternative is to use RSS Graffiti (http://www.facebook.com/RSS.Graffiti?v=info) which appears work perfectly fine for me (http://facebook.com/EntropicTendencies).

Barrie
  • scotticusscotticus Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    Hey aaronbrown. We're actively working on adding FaceBook connect for custom domains, but due to security restrictions that FaceBook imposes it's proven to be quite hard and troublesome. They limit you to 1 domain only. So yes, we are working on it, and we'll hopefully figure out a work around soon.
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    scotticus wrote:
    Hey aaronbrown. We're actively working on adding FaceBook connect for custom domains, but due to security restrictions that FaceBook imposes it's proven to be quite hard and troublesome. They limit you to 1 domain only. So yes, we are working on it, and we'll hopefully figure out a work around soon.
    By this do you mean that a Facebook user would be limited to only one domain that they could pull a gallery in from?

Are there size limitations that we would be able to impose on what they grab from our site? (Admittedly, as I noticed immediately that this feature is not set up to work with custom domains, I dropped the investigation on how to use it.)
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • scotticusscotticus Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    No, the one domain limitation is that we are only allowed to run the code from facebook that makes it all possible on one domain (smugmug.com) which is why we don't offer it on custom domains. The developer keys are domain specific--and won't work outside of the domain they're registered on.

HoofClix wrote:
    By this do you mean that a Facebook user would be limited to only one domain that they could pull a gallery in from?

Are there size limitations that we would be able to impose on what they grab from our site? (Admittedly, as I noticed immediately that this feature is not set up to work with custom domains, I dropped the investigation on how to use it.)
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    Ah, so it is that

HoofClix.Smugmug.com and
    yadayadayada.Smugmug.com

are all one domain..

Thanks for the understanding....

(maybe I should buy up that domain as well...)
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • aaronbrownaaronbrown Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    scotticus wrote:

Thanks for the update!