Market for old Canon lens?

firststring74firststring74 Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
edited January 14, 2010 in Cameras
So a family friend gave my father (a nikon man) a Canon FD 135mm 1:2.5 lens, he passed it on to me since I shoot canon, but as we know it is not compatible with the digital camera bodies. It appears to be in excellent condition. Is this sellable? If it is, where should I market it and how much do you think it might be worth? Thanks!

Comments

• Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    I'll take it mwink.gif
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited January 12, 2010
    So a family friend gave my father (a nikon man) a Canon FD 135mm 1:2.5 lens, he passed it on to me since I shoot canon, but as we know it is not compatible with the digital camera bodies. It appears to be in excellent condition. Is this sellable? If it is, where should I market it and how much do you think it might be worth? Thanks!

Does it have an "SC" designation on the lens?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    Is this sellable? If it is, where should I market it and how much do you think it might be worth? Thanks!

The best way to answer this kind of question is to look around online and see if anyone else has one for sale, and if so, how much they want for it. Yahoo Shopping and Google Product Search are probably the best places to start; then check Ebay and Amazon too.

I see a couple of Canon FD 135mm f/2.5 SC's on Google Product Search. Asking price is about $150. I don't know if that's exactly the same model you have.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • firststring74firststring74 Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2010
    Ziggy it does have an SC designation on the lens
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited January 13, 2010
    Ziggy it does have an SC designation on the lens

KEH appears to value the "SC" version as less than the non-SC version. Currently they have several priced from $79USD (EX condition with caps) to $49 (BGN condition). Craig_D found some for $150 so that would mark the top end of the market value.

The lens would "fit" an EOS camera body if you added an FD-EOS adapter, but I don't recommend it. I have an Adorama adapter and it's OK quality but difficult to use in reality.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • firststring74firststring74 Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    Thanks Ziggy, I appreciate the info about the adapter. I'll try to sell it locally then