Options

Generations

AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
edited January 18, 2010 in Street and Documentary
A couple from New Years day afternoon in the park.

C&C always welcome.

755284437_XgAP8-L.jpg

755284550_HxytG-L.jpg

Thanks for looking.
Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited January 16, 2010
    I'm sorry to say that these don't do much for me. What were you going for?
  • Options
    clicketf3clicketf3 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2010
    Generations...
    I understand your photo concept totally and love it! If you don't mind, I,ll borrow this idea. Thanks.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2010
    This is an interesting idea, but the images don't work. What would have to happen for them to work?
    1. You need to pay more attention to the backgrounds. In both cases, they steal the show with distracting unintentional tangents. In #1, see the lamp post growing out of the shoulder of the man on the left? See the trees growing out of the heads of the two women on the right? See how that dark hillside lowers the contrast with the clothes of the people on the right? In the second, see how the house in the background distracts from the group of people.
    2. You need to pay more attention to framing. Both shots are aimed high and to the right so they cut off the feet of the person on the left in favor of empty sky and distracting elements on the right.
    3. Shoot more and/or wait for the right moment. In #1, we'd like to see the face of the girl with the scarf that is obscured by the elbow.
    4. Be more careful about focus. Neither shot has clear focus on any one of the faces. #2 seems to be focused on the fence. #1 might be focused on that girl with the scarf, emphasizing the fact that her face is obscured. In both cases DOF is too narrow to capture all the subjects and too wide to either blur the distracting backgrounds out of existence or make an interesting statement about the people.
    5. Is there an interesting relationship among these people? Have you captured it?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    I'm sorry to say that these don't do much for me. What were you going for?
    I was attracted to the multi-generational groups. At least around here its not common to see 3/more generations out & about together.
    I particularly liked the grandmother, mother, daughter group.
    I think this is another example where my skills don't match my concept 11doh.gif

One hopes I can only get better - need a lot more practice.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2010
    clicketf3 wrote:
    I understand your photo concept totally and love it! If you don't mind, I,ll borrow this idea. Thanks.
    Thanks for commenting & be my guest, I have no doubt someone else did it before me.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• Options
    edited January 18, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    This is an interesting idea, but the images don't work. What would have to happen for them to work?
    1. You need to pay more attention to the backgrounds. In both cases, they steal the show with distracting unintentional tangents. In #1, see the lamp post growing out of the shoulder of the man on the left? See the trees growing out of the heads of the two women on the right? See how that dark hillside lowers the contrast with the clothes of the people on the right? In the second, see how the house in the background distracts from the group of people.
    2. You need to pay more attention to framing. Both shots are aimed high and to the right so they cut off the feet of the person on the left in favor of empty sky and distracting elements on the right.
    3. Shoot more and/or wait for the right moment. In #1, we'd like to see the face of the girl with the scarf that is obscured by the elbow.
    4. Be more careful about focus. Neither shot has clear focus on any one of the faces. #2 seems to be focused on the fence. #1 might be focused on that girl with the scarf, emphasizing the fact that her face is obscured. In both cases DOF is too narrow to capture all the subjects and too wide to either blur the distracting backgrounds out of existence or make an interesting statement about the people.
    5. Is there an interesting relationship among these people? Have you captured it?

Rutt, thank you for taking the time & effort to provide one of you detailed & insightful critiques on my images. I will try to keep it in mind when I'm next out, unfortunately I tend to see things that I think are interesting / strike a chord with me at the last moment and am therefore shooting as people are moving passed me. I need to be looking further ahead & seeing the image sooner to allow me to work on the items you've raised, should be a challenge :D.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page