First DSLR

liz14liz14 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited January 13, 2010 in Cameras
Brand new to this. Do I go Nikon D40 or Canon XS? Perhaps Nikon D70.....thoughts?
Liz

Comments

• craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    liz14 wrote:
    Brand new to this. Do I go Nikon D40 or Canon XS? Perhaps Nikon D70.....thoughts?
    Liz

How much do you want to spend? If the D40 or Rebel XS is all you can afford, they'll be fine. They're decent cameras.

If you want to go a step up from there, I'd suggest the Nikon D90 or Canon Rebel T1i. The D90 has significantly more resolution (megapixels) than the D40 and is compatible with a wider range of Nikon lenses. The Rebel T1i is the Canon model most directly comparable to the D90.

Beyond that, you can spend as much as you like. As a beginner it probably isn't worth your while to get anything beyond the models above, though.

More important will be your choice of lenses. Whatever camera you buy can probably be bought either by itself, or in a kit with a lens. The kit lenses are usually 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, providing a zoom range from moderate wide-angle to mild telephoto, suitable for a variety of situations. Generally today's kit lenses are of decent quality and will be a fine way to get started. When you start to get frustrated with them for one reason or another, you'll know it's time to upgrade or buy additional lenses to extend your range.

Other accessories such as external flash units can wait. Your camera will have a built-in flash, which will not be very powerful compared to an external unit but will, like the kit lenses, be enough to get started.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • GambrelGambrel Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    I don't have any Canon stuff so I can't tell you what might work with them but, I can tell you I started with the D40 and it is a really great camera. Very small, light and easy to use. I don't think you could go wrong with either one. Good Luck!

Oh and welcome aboard! You will love this place.
    D90, D40, SB-600, SB-400, 50mm 1.8 and a couple of kit lenes.:thumb
  • liz14liz14 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 12, 2010
    I want to keep in the lower price range to start with. Something that I can learn on. Should I also consider the Nikon d3000?
  • HeatherWBHeatherWB Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    Since you're looking at Canon, also take a look at the XSi. Pricewise and featurewise, it's in between the XS and the T1i and it will most certainly be a camera that you can grow with. :D

Whichever one you go with, be sure to get the kit (unless you've simply got a ton of money burning a hole in your pocket--that's another discussion right there :):)= body + 18-55 lens. The EF-S 55-250 and EF 50/1.8 are also both pretty inexpensive for what they are and will round out your beginner kit nicely. Don't forget about an extra battery, a couple of memory cards, and a bag to put it all in.

On a little bit of different note, get a hold of Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure, as he does an excellent job of explaining the basics of photography. If you can find a local basic photography class in your community, that would be even better. Also, be sure to pick up one of the "Digital Field Guides" to the specific model of camera that you wind up getting; they have them for just about all of the Canon and Nikon models.

Here's the link to the Digital Field Guide to the Canon XS, as an example:
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-1000D-Digital-Field/dp/0470409509/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263341250&sr=8-33

These do a lot better job of explaining how the camera itself works than the instruction books that come with them. thumb.gif

BTW, since you mentioned not wanting to spend a lot of money, you can pick up the XS kit for around $450 from one of the reputable online camera stores (B&H, Adorama, etc.).

HTH,
    Heather :)
    My blog: Heather's Lightbox
    My pics
    "He who cannot dance will say: "The drum is bad!" --African proverb.
  • run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    Something you may want to check out: I don't know if the D40 is capable of using older Nikon lenses. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I only mention it because soon after I got my first dSLR, I wanted to expand my selection of lenses, and buying older, manual focus lenses was an extremely cost effective way to do that.
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    run_kmc wrote:
    Something you may want to check out: I don't know if the D40 is capable of using older Nikon lenses. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I only mention it because soon after I got my first dSLR, I wanted to expand my selection of lenses, and buying older, manual focus lenses was an extremely cost effective way to do that.

This gets complicated. The details are all here:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

but the basics, as far as new cameras go, are as follows:

Modern lenses in the AF-S, AF-I, VR, and G series should work on any current Nikon camera.

Lenses in the AF and AF-D series (1980s technology) do not have their own autofocus motors, so the camera has to have its own motor to drive the lens. Low-end Nikons such as the D40, D3000, and D5000 do not have this motor and so cannot autofocus these lenses, though metering will work. The D50 and higher models have the required motor.

Lenses in the AI and AI-s series (1970s technology) are manual-focus only, so autofocus isn't an issue with them. However, on low-end Nikons (including the D50 through D90, this time), metering will not work correctly, so you have to use these lenses in full-manual mode and figure out the correct exposure settings yourself.

Older lenses from the 1960s (also manual-focus only, of course) work on modern cameras only if they have been converted to be AI-compatible (Nikon used to offer this as a service); otherwise, they will not mount. As with AI lenses, metering will work on these converted lenses will only on higher-grade Nikon cameras (D200, D300, D700, D2, D3).
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • gowiththeflowgowiththeflow Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    run_kmc wrote:

If you're using true manual focus lenses (ie Nikkor AI-S), the D40 has the same abilities as the D90. Nikon didn't add stop-down metering for non-CPU lenses until the D200 or 300, so you've got full manual if you have a lower-end body with a non-AF (or rare AI-P) lens. The D90 (and older D80/70/50) do have the screw-drive motor to focus older AF-D lenses, but they work fine on bodies without focus motors- they still meter correctly, only the AF is affected.

Personally, I'd recommend either the D40 or D90 over the D3k or D5k. The D90 is all the camera that most people need, especially when first learning. The D40 is already 'obsolete', but still makes perfectly good pictures, and it's already taken its hit in depreciation. All the D3000 did was mix the D60 sensor and body with the D90 autofocus sensor... in a year or two it will still be obsolete as well, and will be worth a fraction of what you paid today, while the D40 will probably still be worth 75% of the pittance you can buy one for today.

I tried to save money and buy a D60, and quickly wished I had ponied up for a D90. In fact, I upgraded less than a year later... luckily I got great deals on both the D60 and D90 and didn't lose much at all. I know the D90 seems expensive, but it's cheaper to buy the right thing once...
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2010
    liz14 wrote:
    I want to keep in the lower price range to start with. Something that I can learn on. Should I also consider the Nikon d3000?
    I second (or third, or whatever it's up to) the reco's for a D90, if you can afford it. Based on your price point of ~$450, however, that's not in the discussion.

I've never used a D40 or D60, but have heard good things about them. A friend of mine recently bought a D3000 and is actively doing pro work with it, so it is certainly possible to get great results that you (and even paying customers) will be happy with. It has limitations, however, so how much you want to grow with your first DSLR is a factor in your decision. FWIW, Thom Hogan says the D3000 is the first Nikon DSLR he's ever rated as "Not Recommended," although dpreview.com gives it "Highly recommended," so your mileage may vary...

I might recommend looking for a gently used D40x as a way to get your foot in the door, however it will not autofocus with many old lenses that require a screw drive in the camera body, as has been mentioned already. You need a D50, D70, D90, etc, to get that. D40/D60/D3000/D5000 do not have that ability. If you plan to only purchase current lenses rather than finding deals on older used ones, you will certainly be able to find good stuff that will work on a D40. The 3rd party lens makers (Sigma, Tamron, etc) have versions of their lenses that work on D40-type bodies as well, so don't feel too limited if your body does not have a screw-drive motor.

I have never used nor have recommendations on any Canon stuff. However, when I was looking for my first DSLR just about a year ago, all my photog friends, whatever their brand preference, said to try both systems out and go with what feels better. I narrowed my choices to D90 or Canon 50D, my wife and I tried both out and found we preferred Nikon. But both systems are good and you can't really go wrong either way. Once you start buying lenses, while it's not impossible to switch, it certainly becomes more expensive or bothersome as you'll have to sell all your gear.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2010
    The Canon T1i (500d) or the XSi (450d) would be excellent first DSLR's. The T1i/500D has HD video and 15 megapixels, the XSi/450D is less but still excellent quality. Both models are packaged with the Canon 18-55IS kit lens and sometimes with the Canon 55-250IS telephoto which is a sharp and good quality zoom.
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2010
    Amazing value and superior kit glass for about $660 - 35mm range of 28-300mm in two lenses with in-body image stabilization, support for legacy glass (with IS, too) and an awesome swivel out screen making low tripod work a joy.

Olympus Evolt E620 12.3MP Live MOS Digital SLR Camera with Image Stabilization and 2.7 inch Swivel LCD w/ 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 and 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 ED Zuiko Lenses

olympus_e-620_swivellcd.jpg