Lowest F/stop

EddyEddy Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
edited January 14, 2010 in Holy Macro
In Macro Pgotography is there a base level of an f/stop you can goto, 2.8 which would give you the main subject surrounded by nice Bokeh,
1) what if the subject had to move ..would all focus and lighting be lost along with the subject being blured with a iso of 200.

i want to grasp the basic settings and knowledge of how far i can tread on the edge of macro..
E.J.W

Great understanding is broad and unhurried, Little understanding is cramped and busy" ..... Chuang Tsu

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2010
    Eddy wrote:
    In Macro Pgotography is there a base level of an f/stop you can goto, 2.8 which would give you the main subject surrounded by nice Bokeh,
    1) what if the subject had to move ..would all focus and lighting be lost along with the subject being blured with a iso of 200.

i want to grasp the basic settings and knowledge of how far i can tread on the edge of macro..

Not certain what you are asking but when shooting near 1:1 magnification the DOF is very thin so you tend to get nice OOF bokeh, at F2.8 you would also have most of the subject probably OOF as well.
    If you are shooting natural light and handheld then you really need to keep the shutter speed at 1/200th or faster at 1:1 magnification so you have to adjust ISO to an appropriate level to get an exposure at your chosen aperture. Some more info on lighting types and camera settings etc here
    http://www.digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=64695
    Brian V.
  • IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2010
    Yeah I'd avoid F2.8 like crazy. That's not really viable for any kind of Macro photography. As Brian says, DoF is so small anyway that Bokeh comes part and parcel.
    Have a look at my frozen water droplet. That was taken at around 1:1.2 - 1:1.5 at F7.1, 1/200 and the bokeh is all there.

In addition to the link Brian provided, here's an example of what happens at F2.8, F8.0 and F20 using my Sigma 105 Macro lens. At F2.8, very little is actually in focus (and these aren't at 1:1, imagine how little would be in focus at 1:1). F8 has lots more in focus but you can see above the screw that the blurring is still very apparant. This would cause bokeh with a better background. At F20, alsmost everything from front to back is in focus. Of course these results are also affected by distance from the subject AND the amount of maginification. Being further away, more of the screw would be in focus at F2.8 but then you're moving away from macro.

Macro lenses at F2.8 make excellent portrait lenses when focused at infinity.

F2.8
    397159278_s6Mov-S.jpg

F8
    397159324_P2dJx-S.jpg

F20
    397159402_3SA2J-S.jpg
  • EddyEddy Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2010
    Thanks Lord and IPClark:
    Thats the answer i am looking for ..so 2.8 is absolutely ano go..I wanna concentrate on a certain f-stop IE f11 and go down as in f16 f22 thanks for the answers ..really appreciate it
    eddy
    E.J.W

Great understanding is broad and unhurried, Little understanding is cramped and busy" ..... Chuang Tsu
  • IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    Again, going beyond F16 isn't necessary and you'll likely experience light diffraction which could cause the overall result to look soft.

Stick around F8, 1/200 and provided you have enough light, you should manage to get decent results which will improve with time.

I'm no where near as capable as Brian or Phil (Goldenorfe) but when I look at my Macros 12 months ago compared to a few I've done recently then, I can see I did get better but I still have a very long way to go.

Make sure you read over those tutorials :)
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    I think it is less useful to look for rules than to try to get a handle on the principles. The biggest issue is DOF: wider aperture = shallower DOF. This effect is very large, as Ian's photos show, and since DOF is razor-thin at macro distances, there is pressure to close the aperture down.

In my experience, diffraction is pretty minor until the aperture is very small. So, while I try to stick with f/16 or wider--and Goldenorfe, who is much better than I am, said he never goes beyond that--I sometimes find that I would rather take a little diffraction in return for greater DOF, and I shoot some shots at f/20 or even f/22.

Play around with this to see how it works. Take a bunch of shots, varying the aperture. You will gradually get a feeling for it and can decide what works best for you.

for example, this one I took at f/20 because I wanted the extra DOF and was willing to take a little diffraction:

720798492_jeQhu-XL.jpg
    edited January 14, 2010
    IPClark wrote:
    Again, going beyond F16 isn't necessary and you'll likely experience light diffraction which could cause the overall result to look soft.

Stick around F8, 1/200 and provided you have enough light, you should manage to get decent results which will improve with time.

I'm no where near as capable as Brian or Phil (Goldenorfe) but when I look at my Macros 12 months ago compared to a few I've done recently then, I can see I did get better but I still have a very long way to go.

Make sure you read over those tutorials :)

I am in the same boat as you ..but experience is very little, i am hoping by the end of the summer this year i will be ahead in the 70-80% range of Macro
    E.J.W

edited January 14, 2010
    paddler4 wrote:
    I think it is less useful to look for rules than to try to get a handle on the principles. The biggest issue is DOF: wider aperture = shallower DOF. This effect is very large, as Ian's photos show, and since DOF is razor-thin at macro distances, there is pressure to close the aperture down.

In my experience, diffraction is pretty minor until the aperture is very small. So, while I try to stick with f/16 or wider--and Goldenorfe, who is much better than I am, said he never goes beyond that--I sometimes find that I would rather take a little diffraction in return for greater DOF, and I shoot some shots at f/20 or even f/22.

Play around with this to see how it works. Take a bunch of shots, varying the aperture. You will gradually get a feeling for it and can decide what works best for you.

for example, this one I took at f/20 because I wanted the extra DOF and was willing to take a little diffraction:

720798492_jeQhu-XL.jpg

A sweet shot paddle this weekend i ma going to try my 3rd shooting of macro...It never ceases to amaze me that this type of photography opens a different world to me..sort of like Alice in wonderland
    E.J.W