Groups (eg Scouts), Events (eg Trips), and Smug usage?

mlougeemlougee Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited October 5, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I wonder whether (and how) Smug might be useful for groups of people (eg, a scout troop, a 4H Club, or even a family) who participate in a group event (eg, a camping trip, a county fair, a family reunion) to post their photos in a "single" place.

Might this be as simple as a Pro Acct, where the acct holder would give all of the participants a Guest Acct (is there an upper limit on # of guest accts?) and each participant would upload their photos into some identifiable area of the Pro Acct space?

If the group were a non-profit, and wanted to sell prints to anyone who wanted to purchase them (eg, pictures of the camping trip to campers, family, friends), and wanted the revenues to go back to the group, would they just open a Pro Acct themselves (eg, the leader of the photos-of-the-trip project would open a Smug Pro Acct)?

My guess is there are good ways already available for this sort of thing, I just haven't found them yet. Even better, if Smug staff were to write a "How To" or "FAQ" which explains and gives options for this group/event situation, that'd be a big help.

If there aren't ways to do this sort of thing easily, is there enough of a "market" for the Smug staff to create good tools? I sort of think there might be lots of different kinds of non-profit groups (youth groups, church groups, school groups, family reunions, alumni groups, etc) that have multiple picture-takers, and multiple picture-consumers, where this sort of capability might be very useful.

Thanks for ideas.

Comments

• jethrojethro Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    Yes, I am also interested in seeing if a 'group shared' site would be possible/practical. I searched a lot of the different photo sites, and SmugMug seemed to have the best features for organizing and viewing the goup's photos (categories, easy captions, no registration needed to just veiw, etc.).

I guess I could just setup an account, use a generic email address (something@yahoo.com), and give people simple instructions on how to upload their photos. It's not too difficult, only a few sites appeared simpler.

My concern, though, is whether these people would be able to see my account information (especially credit card) and/or do anything malicious with that info.

- Does anyone know if you can have the account info hidden or paid from a seperate account?

- What would a person be able to access that they could use maliciously against me?

The other option would be some sort of free site, but the ones I looked at (like Yahoo) appeared to have limitations on how to keep things organized (especailly from a categorization standpoint).

- Anybody know of any better solutions that would still provide: a) categories that are intuitive to upload to; b) web-based uploading, people may not want to download software; c) possibility to download images in case people want to print them at home; d) easy caption editing so we all know what we're looking at?

THANKS!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    mlougee wrote:
    I wonder whether (and how) Smug might be useful for groups of people (eg, a scout troop, a 4H Club, or even a family) who participate in a group event (eg, a camping trip, a county fair, a family reunion) to post their photos in a "single" place.

Might this be as simple as a Pro Acct, where the acct holder would give all of the participants a Guest Acct (is there an upper limit on # of guest accts?) and each participant would upload their photos into some identifiable area of the Pro Acct space?

If the group were a non-profit, and wanted to sell prints to anyone who wanted to purchase them (eg, pictures of the camping trip to campers, family, friends), and wanted the revenues to go back to the group, would they just open a Pro Acct themselves (eg, the leader of the photos-of-the-trip project would open a Smug Pro Acct)?

My guess is there are good ways already available for this sort of thing, I just haven't found them yet. Even better, if Smug staff were to write a "How To" or "FAQ" which explains and gives options for this group/event situation, that'd be a big help.

If there aren't ways to do this sort of thing easily, is there enough of a "market" for the Smug staff to create good tools? I sort of think there might be lots of different kinds of non-profit groups (youth groups, church groups, school groups, family reunions, alumni groups, etc) that have multiple picture-takers, and multiple picture-consumers, where this sort of capability might be very useful.

Thanks for ideas.
    Hi, and thanks for posting. We'll give the account for free, check out this page: http://www.smugmug.com/help/non-profit-free-accounts

It's probably best that one person "manage" the account - and so you can use the email uploader, http://www.smugmug.com/help/camera-phones - this might give you the type of control you are looking for. The account can be a pro account, and you can collect the profits, and put them back to the group.
  • jethrojethro Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, and thanks for posting. We'll give the account for free, check out this page: http://www.smugmug.com/help/non-profit-free-accounts
    - Now does this site function the same as a regular account, just with no credit card information anywhere??

If so, would it be possible to just pay for a site like this in advance (if it's not a verifyable non-profit group), but get this type of account so that the CC info would be hidden? That would be perfect!

It's probably best that one person "manage" the account - and so you can use the email uploader, http://www.smugmug.com/help/camera-phones - this might give you the type of control you are looking for. The account can be a pro account, and you can collect the profits, and put them back to the group.
    Hmm, I thought about the email option, but it looks like it's only one photo per email, and it would be hard to get it into the right category. I'm hoping to be pretty hands-off on the whole management aspect. That can get pretty tiring after a while. That's why I looked so hard for a service that would be intuitive and flexible.

Let me know if there may be any other options.

Thanks.