Ricoh GXR swappable sensor compact

NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
edited January 13, 2010 in Cameras

Comments

• craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2010
    NeilL wrote:

I agree with Ken Rockwell on this one. He points out that digital cameras are obsolete within a few years, and you have to upgrade, but lenses last. Well, guess what, now Ricoh has figured out how to make lenses go obsolete too -- build sensors into them!

Bad idea. Buy one of these and you'll find yourself replacing not just the camera, but all the lenses too, every three to five years.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2010
    craig_d wrote:
    Bad idea. Buy one of these and you'll find yourself replacing not just the camera, but all the lenses too, every three to five years.
    While I would tend to agree that sensors aren't generally ready to "last a lifetime" I think this idea has some merit. It won't be long before the sensor game cools down and sensors start meeting extremities rather than necessities. This is actually beginning to happen in cameras like the D3s -- how much more does the typical photographer need? Once the cost of these new sensors drops (a lot), and Ricoh can place that technology in their lenses, I no longer see a problem. I'm guessing I could shoot the next 20 years just fine with a D3s sensor. ne_nau.gif
    Travis