Cute Kids!

KianKian Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited January 15, 2010 in People
Hi everyone, I am new on the forum and looking to improve my skills. Here are some shots of kids I took over the past half a year or so, I welcome all comments and criticism. :D

760611487_fsrTY-L.jpg

760584992_XjvLa-L.jpg

760583073_jXPrJ-L.jpg

Cheers!! :clap
Visit my smugsite: http://kian.smugmug.com

Comments

• bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2010
    Welcome wave.gif
    You've come to the right place to share & Learn !
  • bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    #1 and #2 are both underexposed and have pretty strong color casts. Composition-wise #1 is pretty strong though and a little Photoshop work can certainly save it.

#3 is probably the best one you posted, at least before you adjust #1. It looks very much like the way I like to shoot events: close and with a wide angle lens. Here's an example shot from a recent shoot of mine to illustrate what I'm talking about.

image9.jpg

I like going in close so I can bring in the environment and you did that with #3. My only criticism is the bright light coming in from the right. It blew out the right side of her dress and the background behind her. If you shot RAW, there might be some detail in there to bring out.
  • KianKian Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    Hi Ben! Thanks for your comments. When you say strong color cast do you mean it is oversaturated? I increased the exposure and decreased the saturation slightly here:
    765071635_xvw5z-M.jpg

I also love my wide lens, but unfortunately it only has max aperture of f4.0, so it limits my shooting indoors unless i use flash or boost my ISO.

Btw Ben, nice capture, i love the lighting thumb.gif
    Visit my smugsite: http://kian.smugmug.com
  • The_Fat_ZebraThe_Fat_Zebra Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    I definitely like your composition on all three of them, although they all need some more pp: I think that the first picture mainly has a white balance issue (orange color cast), and turning up exposure ever so slightly. That's why I pretty much always shoot raw, to give me most flexibility afterwards.
    Street & Portrait because of the people. Landscape because it's pretty.
    Disappointed with AF of Tamron 28-75 2.8, me less happy.
  • bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    Kian wrote:
    Hi Ben! Thanks for your comments. When you say strong color cast do you mean it is oversaturated? I increased the exposure and decreased the saturation slightly here:
    765071635_xvw5z-M.jpg

I also love my wide lens, but unfortunately it only has max aperture of f4.0, so it limits my shooting indoors unless i use flash or boost my ISO.

Btw Ben, nice capture, i love the lighting thumb.gif

That's better, but by color cast I meant that all the colors were shifted towards yellow. Did you shoot RAW? Or just JPEG. If you shot in RAW, a quick white balance adjustment will fix it. If you shot JPEG, the only fix would probably be to correct it in LAB mode in Photoshop.