Options

A little walk last week

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
edited January 15, 2010 in Street and Documentary
We've had 40 days and 40 nights of rain (and a bit of snow), so I haven't done much street shooting lately, but I did catch these on a walk about a week ago.

1. Street Musicians
763781464_mucAu-L.jpg

2. A mime on the way to work
763781087_oUWZF-XL.jpg
3. Free cake and hot chocolate--A Madrid tradition for the last of the Christmas fiestas.
763355515_s9DN7-L.jpg

763357737_wMunx-XL.jpg
It was crowded and chaotic (people will wait in line for hours here for anything that's free). Very hard to get a clear shot of the action. I grabbed this while I was waiting for an opening in the crowd to shoot #3.
763354213_PecRk-L.jpg

Thanks for looking. C&C always welcome.

Comments

• Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    We've had 40 days and 40 nights of rain (and a bit of snow), so I haven't done much street shooting lately, but I did catch these on a walk about a week ago.

Thanks for looking. C&C always welcome.

Really like #1, #2, and #4.
    Love the look on the lady's face in #4, she managed to score the free goods and she looks quite happy about it.

Also in #1, I like the look on the one musician on the left eyeballing the pedestrian, almost begging her to look at him. That's how I see it anyway.

Enjoyed your post.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2010
    Really like #1, #2, and #4.
    Love the look on the lady's face in #4, she managed to score the free goods and she looks quite happy about it.

Also in #1, I like the look on the one musician on the left eyeballing the pedestrian, almost begging her to look at him. That's how I see it anyway.

Enjoyed your post.

Thanks, Liz, glad you liked it. thumb.gif
  • Options
    SyncopationSyncopation Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    I really like no. 2 clap.gif

It reminds me of one of my current favourites:

http://www.in-public.com/NickTurpin/image/1524

An unusual shot of everyday life .................
    Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2010
    I really like no. 2 clap.gif

It reminds me of one of my current favourites:

http://www.in-public.com/NickTurpin/image/1524

An unusual shot of everyday life .................

Thanks. I really like the shot you linked to. Wish I had taken it. mwink.gif
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    Richard wrote:

]
    2,4, and 5 very nice, Richard - Particularly 2. I wish you had just a bit more of body that the head in 5 goes with. clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    Shoots2LittleShoots2Little Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    Had you not said that was a mime in #2 I would have assumed it was a statue!

Great shots.

The look on the face of the woman in #5 is great. Was that at you or just past you?
    D40 18-55/3.5 35/1.8

My Smugmug
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    Glad you finally could go out and shoot. The results were worth it.

#5: First thought was that might be your mother thinking when are you going to stop playing with your camera and do some work.rolleyes1.gif

#4: Score! The wait was worth it and her enjoyment just radiates outward.

#3: Showed the scene, but nothing more.

#2: Awesome. I thought it was a statue, too.

#1: Good, but could have been great -- the older guy on bass just makes the edge of the photo but would have contrasted so well with the young hip dudes!
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    I really like #2 and #4. I would like to see #2 cropped landscape and some space in front of the figure on the left because that space is more important to the image than the space above in the portrait crop. (Unless there was something in that space that wouldn't work.) Still, I like it, like it, like it.

I like #4 because I like faces with character.

I'd like #1 if it wasn't so chopped up. I'm sure there was a reason that the lower parts are chopped, and that the man on the right is a half-bass, though. We see the result but we don't see what access the photographer had to the full scene. Love the expression on the sax player in the middle.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. In #1, I was mostly interested in the expression of the sax players, but I wish I had shot a little wider to get the full bass as well. The pic is uncropped, so I can't do anything about it now. Same applies to #2. #5 is cropped square from a landscape shot at full height, so no luck there either to show more body. I was actually trying to shoot something else when she walked into my path and I didn't think too much about the shot at the time. I don't think she knew I was taking her picture.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    763781087_oUWZF-Th.jpg763354213_PecRk-Th.jpg

Very nice. I agree with BD about the color shot. The other B&Ws seem flat to me.
    If not now, when?