Snow Princess and Ice Queen

0bscura0bscura Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited January 14, 2010 in People
Been cold here so we stayed in and did a photo shoot.
Comments and critique are welcome.

Snow Princess
4268166592_5e4033d5a0_b.jpg

Ice Queen
4266485826_72e552945a.jpg

Thanks for looking. :-)

Comments

• kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    Oh my she is gorgeous! I love the grey and the Ice Queen shot takes your breath away. NICE. Thanks for sharing!
  • 0bscura0bscura Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    kidzmom wrote:
    Oh my she is gorgeous! I love the grey and the Ice Queen shot takes your breath away. NICE. Thanks for sharing!

This is the second shoot where I've used a gray backdrop. I'm hooked.
    Thanks!
    edited January 14, 2010
    Here is another one with the makeup turned up to eleven. eek7.gif
    4273079195_56b13d653a.jpg
    Tons of detail in the larger version.

This is my first time retouching makeup.
    The crazy lashes are from Obsidian Dawn.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    I like the posing and expressions in the first three images. I think, however, that they would have been improved had the fill light been about a stop brighter.

Not diggin' the last two - but that's probably more my failing than the images'.
  • bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    There's also a reddish cast to the first three. The ring light just creeps me out. It just doesn't seem right on a child that young. Maybe that was the feeling you were going for though.
    edited January 14, 2010
    I like the posing and expressions in the first three images. I think, however, that they would have been improved had the fill light been about a stop brighter.

I agree about the fill. A lot of what is there was added during the raw conversion. I'm done guessing, getting a flash meter asap. That way I can nail the ratios every time.
  • bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    0bscura wrote:
    I agree about the fill. A lot of what is there was added during the raw conversion. I'm done guessing, getting a flash meter asap. That way I can nail the ratios every time.

Good move. People who think you can guess and chimp overestimate the accuracy of the LCD. I've learned to ignore my camera's screen for color and fine-tuning exposure. It is basically useful for reviewing: composition, severe exposure issues, and highlight clipping. Other than that, it's useless. Trust your brain not the screen. If you know the lights are set up correctly, the shot will come up on the monitor looking good. A light meter is a must have.
    edited January 14, 2010
    There's also a reddish cast to the first three. The ring light just creeps me out. It just doesn't seem right on a child that young. Maybe that was the feeling you were going for though.

I was puzzled about the pink/red cast because I set a custom white balance. Did some searching and found that it's characteristic of the Alien Bee B1600 when shooting at very low power. Fix for that in the future is going to be shooting additional custom white balance whenever I power the lights up or down.

The ring light and it's ringed catchlights are very much a love/hate thing. It's new, got it for Christmas so I wanted to play with it. Every image I've posted has drawn comments from it. I've got my theories as to why people might like/dislike the effect.

I also bought the non-ringed diffusion panel. We'll try that next shoot and see if it's a less extreme look. I'm also going to try without diffusion to see how that works. Her skin could have handled it, it's near flawless.

As for makeup on a child that young, It's just wrong. No excuses there. But it was fun and adding eyelashes was something I had wanted to learn for quite some time.

Too many images of Josie lately, I've got to do some TFP work or hire a model or something. Learning how to go about that is also on my long todo list.

Thanks for the comments y'all. Very helpful so far.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    0bscura wrote:
    I was puzzled about the pink/red cast because I set a custom white balance. Did some searching and found that it's characteristic of the Alien Bee B1600 when shooting at very low power. Fix for that in the future is going to be shooting additional custom white balance whenever I power the lights up or down.
    Just shoot a good gray reference as your first "production" frame and as your last frame and use that/those frames as reference in post. You can apply the WB offset to the entire studio session in a series of 2 or 3 clicks - easy stuff. Why two? Because the temperature of the flash might/can change over the duration of your shooting session. This avoids the time spent in setting a CWB in camera.
    edited January 14, 2010
    Just shoot a good gray reference as your first "production" frame and as your last frame and use that/those frames as reference in post. You can apply the WB offset to the entire studio session in a series of 2 or 3 clicks - easy stuff. Why two? Because the temperature of the flash might/can change over the duration of your shooting session. This avoids the time spent in setting a CWB in camera.

I did shoot a gray card reference image at the beginning of the shoot.
    Moving forward I'll shoot one whenever I change the power of the lights and then a final frame at the end. Good suggestion.

I should go back to raw and re-convert these three. Might do that tonight.

I'm a huge fan of gray cards. Here is one from a previous shoot.
    4248137831_73ddc2fe24.jpg
    (and some more freaky ringed catchlites)