Which Lens would you rent for nikon.

OzzwaldOzzwald Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
edited January 15, 2010 in Cameras
So my friend wants a quick portfolio done for a modeling agency. Currently i only have a 35mm, so i would like to rent a lens to expierence some higher end glass. Which lens do you think would work best and be the most versatile for portfolio work. Also any porfolio composition tips would be much appreciated.

Hers what i was looking to rent...
28-70mm f/2.8
85mm f/1.4
70-200mm f/2.8

Other things to consider, we found this studio we've been always wanted to try out, only 25$ an hour and has a C&C wall with a large amount of lighting material at my dasposal....there will be a lot of trial and error...but considering the studio and stuff we have to work with what lens would you choose.

i would only like rent one lens...dont want to spend too much money but if you guys inisit on more i wouldn't mind spending a tad extra.

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    A couple of things to take into consideration when making your lens choice:
    • The D90 is a 1.5x crop factor
    • What is the size of the studio you are going to shoot in?
    • What kind of shots are you looking to get, head-and-shoulders, head-and-torso, full-body?
    If you are looking to do full-body shots, you might be better served by the 28-70. On the other hand, if you are only looking for the head-and-shoulders, then the lens choice is wide open as all those you have indicated will do the job quite nicely.
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    I'd rent the new 70-200 VRII - If I had to pick one lens out of my bag to take to a shoot, that'd be it. With enough room, you can do full body shots, plus you have the flexibility to do some nice, tight head shots as well.
  • StevenSzaboStevenSzabo Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    in anything other than a large studio the 70-200 is going to be useless for anything other than head shots.

The 85 is ridiculously sharp, but on a 1.5 crop it's also going to be a little long for most small to medium sized studios.

So I guess of those three(kind of a strange list) I would say the 28-70.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    in anything other than a large studio the 70-200 is going to be useless for anything other than head shots.

The 85 is ridiculously sharp, but on a 1.5 crop it's also going to be a little long for most small to medium sized studios.

So I guess of those three(kind of a strange list) I would say the 28-70.

for portrait work the 85 1.4 is my favorite lens. but in a studio I don't know that that the bokeh is going to xome into play so much
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    In a potentially tight space, the 28-70. I use that one for weddings since the indoor space doesn't always allow you to back up. If the studio is large, go 85.

Caroline
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    24-70 f2.8 or the 70-200 f2.8 depending on shooting distance.
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • OzzwaldOzzwald Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    Here is a general idea of the studio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIVrSlVp0ro

ya im thinking the 70-200mm might be too long. I really want to try the 85mm heard so many great things about it, plus id like to expierement a little with it outside of the studio. I think in terms of the lower end on the 28-75 i can cover that with my 35mm.

So hopefully pending on you guys...and the vid...im thinking the 85mm if it will work in the studio space. otherwise i'll get the 28-75 if i need a shorter length.
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    Ozwald, where is this rental place you are going to? There is a studio rental place near my house that is $25/hr and has a cyc wall and sounds the same as you are describing. Is it Dk3?
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    Ozzwald wrote:
    Here is a general idea of the studio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIVrSlVp0ro

ya im thinking the 70-200mm might be too long. I really want to try the 85mm heard so many great things about it, plus id like to expierement a little with it outside of the studio. I think in terms of the lower end on the 28-75 i can cover that with my 35mm.

So hopefully pending on you guys...and the vid...im thinking the 85mm if it will work in the studio space. otherwise i'll get the 28-75 if i need a shorter length.

Not sure how a 70mm would be too long and an 85mm would not... ne_nau.gif

The reason I rec'd a 70-200 is that is will also serve at a good headshot lens, plus it will offer head/shoulders, 3/4 & full length if you have the space. Headshot pro's use 300mm+, but for most purposes a 200mm will suit just fine.

Due to your crop sensor, I think the 35mm will be a better full length lens than either the 70mm or 85mm.
  • StevenSzaboStevenSzabo Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    I wish my "studio" space was that big...lol...I couldn't even imagine busting out the 300 in my studio...it would be entertaining though I guess.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    24-70 f2.8 or the 70-200 f2.8 depending on shooting distance.

15524779-Ti.gifagree doubly here.....I shot for many years with only a 70-210mm....again not knowing your shooting distance in the studio I won't say get the 70-200 only.....if you have ay least at least 30ft of shooting distance the 70-200 would just squeeze in a full head to toe shot of someone 5'8".......just did a quick measurement of my basement with a light stand at 5'8".........if any shorter get the 24-70 f2.8 that will give you great sharp as a tack pix and some room for capturing some moving shots if need be.............

HTH
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website