Best bang for buck?

mrfizzedmrfizzed Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
edited January 14, 2010 in Cameras
I was wondering if somebody could help me out in finding a new lens for my system. I use Nikon bodies and have a few lenses:
nikkor 50mm 1.8
sigma 70-200mm 2.9
nikkor 18-200mmVR

I am looking for a lens to use for events (birthday parties, weddings etc) that has a larger aperture than my 18-200. any recommendations on what would be a good fit without spending a fortune?

Comments

• cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    mrfizzed wrote:
    I was wondering if somebody could help me out in finding a new lens for my system. I use Nikon bodies and have a few lenses:
    nikkor 50mm 1.8
    sigma 70-200mm 2.9
    nikkor 18-200mmVR

I am looking for a lens to use for events (birthday parties, weddings etc) that has a larger aperture than my 18-200. any recommendations on what would be a good fit without spending a fortune?

I have the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 that I use a lot as a general purpose lens. It's sharp and not too expensive at around $450 at B&H. It does not have stabilization, but they have a stabilized version for $650 if you feel you need that. Combined with your 70-200, that should make a good kit. Sigma also has a 18-50 f/2.8 at a similar price point. I'm quite happy with the Tamron.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited January 14, 2010
    I have the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 that I use a lot as a general purpose lens. It's sharp and not too expensive at around $450 at B&H. It does not have stabilization, but they have a stabilized version for $650 if you feel you need that. Combined with your 70-200, that should make a good kit. Sigma also has a 18-50 f/2.8 at a similar price point. I'm quite happy with the Tamron.

+1 for the Tamron SP 17-50mm, F/2.8 XR Di-II LD SP ZL Aspherical (IF) (with AF motor in Nikon mount). It's a very nice "standard" zoom with enough range, flexibility and speed, as well as image quality, to work well for events and general walk around use.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums