Canon 30D: Safe environment temp?

kcuikcui Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited January 14, 2010 in Cameras
I was just wondering if it is ok to use my 30D outside in cold weather? Rather, how cold of an ambient temperature is it ok to go to?

My father used the 30D for ski racing photography and he had no problems, though the AF might "freeze up" as it got colder.

I'm worried about something freezing in the camera and breaking it. The specs from Canon say down to 32F but I'm not sure if that applies to ambient temp or temp of the camera itself.

Thanks
A work in progress...

http://kristophercui.com

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited January 14, 2010
    The Canon xxD series cameras often do well in cold weather. Make sure you have plenty of batteries as all chemical batteries lose some effectiveness in cold environments.

Extremes of both hot and cold weather can be somewhat more stressful for camera bodies so the life expectancy will be negatively affected if constantly exposed to extremes. In cold weather it's important not to expose the camera body to shock such as dropping because cold temperatures make many materials more prone to fracture and breakage. Do be careful bringing photographic equipment from a cold environment into a warmer more humid environment as condensation may occur, and that can be both frustrating and potentially damaging. When you come inside it's best to put the equipment inside a bag or case and allow plenty of time to gradually warm.

The Canon 1D series cameras do have a more robust design and even more sturdy circuit boards to withstand the rigors of professional use in almost any environmental situation, but even they will break if abused and after time.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • RidgetopRidgetop Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    My 30D has been in -8F temps with no issues other than weaker battery. It's been in some nasty snow situations also with temps well below freezing. Go out, shoot some pics, have fun.