Google Analytics vs. Statcounter

twincitiesphototwincitiesphoto Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
edited January 15, 2010 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I've been using statcounter for the last couple years - and just last month added Google Analytics code to my website.

Has anyone noticed big differences between the counts -

For example, so far today Statcounter shows a total page count of 995 however GA only shows 381 pages views

For example - yesterday - statcount showed 2,820 page views, and GA showed 2,800 - a difference of only 20. But on Tuesday of this week it was 1,626 vs. 1,431.

Some days the count only differs slightly - then I have days like this where it is totally off. Anyone notice this or have some insight into this?

I love the reporting on GA better, but the numbers seem too low on some days.

Thanks.

Comments

• HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    Wouldn't the difference account for traffic that came directly or from engines other than Google?
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • twincitiesphototwincitiesphoto Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    HoofClix wrote:
    Wouldn't the difference account for traffic that came directly or from engines other than Google?

no - i would not think so - it should just be counting total page/photo views.
  • ColoradoSkierColoradoSkier Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    When it comes to web analytics, every tool has slight variances in actual numbers. As long as the trend lines are similar, then you are ok. That's really what you should be looking at, are the trend lines, until we have a way to integrate sales amounts into the analytics tools anyway. Once we can do that, then the sales will be the most important part.
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter