From the "archives"

CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
edited January 22, 2010 in Landscapes
Over the past year, I've gotten progressively worse at getting my images processed, out of Lightroom and up to my Web site. It seems I'd rather be out taking the photos than processing them, but I've committed myself to closing out my 2009 catalog before I take too many photos in 2010 and I've been slowly work through doing my best getting the good ones off the hard drive and up for viewing.

Here's one from July that was really pretty flat and not so interesting in color, but I liked the shape of the tree enough to give black & white a try. I rather like it, but I think I've been staring at it too long so I'd appreciate any comments/critiques you folks might have. :thumb

764650515_tFC4o-X2.jpg
Chris
SmugMug QA
My Photos

Comments

• CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    Hmmm... been a while since I've heard such thunderous silence from on of my photos! Perhaps this one was better suited to stay hidden in the archives!

But then again, Ilike it, so maybe everyone has been shocked into an awe inspired speachless state... yeah, that's the one I'm going to go with! rolleyes1.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    I hate it when that happens... chirp....chirp....

I will get with you on C&C later if you wish??fwiw...
    Aaron Nelson
    edited January 16, 2010
    I hate it when that happens... chirp....chirp....

I will get with you on C&C later if you wish??fwiw...

I'd love to hear your thoughts on it when you get a chance, Aaron! It is,after all, from your stomping grounds! Worst case scenario, it'll be time for a reshoot before too long! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited January 16, 2010
    I dont think I've seen this good ol'boy before... thats whats so nice about going with friends to these places is they show new compositions that I myself didnt see... So I will look for him next round!

I would like to see the raw file when you come up in April. Maybe I can try my style of post on it...

It will be hard to get drama in the sky like that again, but a reshoot can be tried... your DOF looks a little short, but then again if you were to get more DOF those branches would have even more blur... I dont know, this is a good image and if you like it thats all that matters... Most of my images can be picked apart but I still print them and enjoy.....so join the club eh!
    Aaron Nelson
    edited January 17, 2010
    I dont think I've seen this good ol'boy before... thats whats so nice about going with friends to these places is they show new compositions that I myself didnt see... So I will look for him next round!

I would like to see the raw file when you come up in April. Maybe I can try my style of post on it...

It will be hard to get drama in the sky like that again, but a reshoot can be tried... your DOF looks a little short, but then again if you were to get more DOF those branches would have even more blur... I dont know, this is a good image and if you like it thats all that matters... Most of my images can be picked apart but I still print them and enjoy.....so join the club eh!

Thanks for the thoughts, Aaron. If I can find the guy again, I'll point him out in April. The most exact I can be now is that it's on the western side of the overlook as this shot was my last of the day on Friday, after the sunset, on the way back to the parking area. Really narrows it down, huh?! rolleyes1.gif

If you're interested, I can probably fit the raw in an email. Most providers allow up to 10mb these days, and I rarely get a raw larger than that out of my XTi. Just PM me where to send it. If not, I'll bring it along on a flash drive.

I do like this one and am always drawn to these trees (Juniper trees?) that seem to sprout from straight from the rocks in these harsh environments and this is the first "post-able" shot I've gotten from one. I am a bit surprised it didn't garner a few more comments, but then again if I knew what other people liked, I'd do WAY better in the Challenges! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    I like it Chris, and personally, I would crop out the bottom third just below the trunk that points left.thumb.gif
    edited January 18, 2010
    dlplumer wrote:
    I like it Chris, and personally, I would crop out the bottom third just below the trunk that points left.thumb.gif

Thanks, Dan! :D

I could see a crop working... get rid of a couple distractions... I'll give it a try when I get back my computer! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited January 18, 2010
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Thanks for the thoughts, Aaron. If I can find the guy again, I'll point him out in April. The most exact I can be now is that it's on the western side of the overlook as this shot was my last of the day on Friday, after the sunset, on the way back to the parking area. Really narrows it down, huh?! rolleyes1.gif

Well we will have fun looking eitherway... Im look so forward to the next trip...
    (April is real pleasant there)
    CWSkopec wrote:
    If you're interested, I can probably fit the raw in an email. Most providers allow up to 10mb these days, and I rarely get a raw larger than that out of my XTi. Just PM me where to send it. If not, I'll bring it along on a flash drive.
    I will look for it in my e-mail, and we will talk via PM later
    CWSkopec wrote:
    I do like this one and am always drawn to these trees (Juniper trees?) that seem to sprout from straight from the rocks in these harsh environments and this is the first "post-able" shot I've gotten from one. I am a bit surprised it didn't garner a few more comments, but then again if I knew what other people liked, I'd do WAY better in the Challenges! :D

You're on the right track...shoot for yourself.... and enjoy it.
    I love Junipers also, but you know all this.....
    That reminds me, if you get a chance, get to know Walter (Wfeller) he will open your eyes on so many subjects and he knows where alot of stuff is thats not to far from you (Mojave)
    Aaron Nelson
    edited January 18, 2010
    dlplumer wrote:

where's the friendly I don't agree about the crop smiley?:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • TNTATCTNTATC Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    If you are looking for comments put it in the Refinery that's what it's for.

I really dont know what to say on it other than it's really cluttered. My eye cannot focus on the tree because of all the rocks and really no contrast to draw it out. Great idea tho I can see why you shot it
    edited January 19, 2010
    TNTATC wrote:
    If you are looking for comments put it in the Refinery that's what it's for.

I really dont know what to say on it other than it's really cluttered. My eye cannot focus on the tree because of all the rocks and really no contrast to draw it out. Great idea tho I can see why you shot it

Thanks for the comments! I spent some time trying to lighten and sharpen the tree trunk enough to draw the eye, but sounds like I didn't do enough. I'll revisit the layers! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2010
    I'm glad that you dug this one up. The conversion looks great.
    edited January 19, 2010
    dseidman wrote:
    I'm glad that you dug this one up. The conversion looks great.

Thanks, Danny! :D
    The conversion started as a pre-set in LR but it got some additional work and adjustment in PS.
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2010
    Very beautiful silver-like B&W conversion.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    Chris - I like the shot for the most part, the top of the tree seems a little soft and dim to me - maybe my monitor though. I agree with the crop of the bottom.

Curious - what preset was it that you used for the conversion and could you post a full color for us? I love the BW but am very curious to see the color shot as well.
    edited January 22, 2010
    Very beautiful silver-like B&W conversion.

Thank you, Allen! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited January 22, 2010
    brvheart wrote:
    Chris - I like the shot for the most part, the top of the tree seems a little soft and dim to me - maybe my monitor though. I agree with the crop of the bottom.

Curious - what preset was it that you used for the conversion and could you post a full color for us? I love the BW but am very curious to see the color shot as well.

The softness is for sure there... it's the movement in the wind. This shot was taken near the end of twilight, after sunset so the exposure was 3 or 4 seconds (if I remember right). I should have bumped up the ISO a bit for a shorter, less wind prone exposure, but it was such a mild wind, I don't rememebr feeling it and didn't think much about it.

I can't find the exact preset at the moment, but I'm pretty sure it came in a pack of black and white presets from here. I think this one was converted with the "Noble" or "BW Sweetness" preset. The color shot is less than spectacular, I had to add a healthy dose of contrast, lightening and darkening to different regions to make it work. There just isn't much to the color version really.
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos