Chal 44 ginger, comments?

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited July 30, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Lemonade Stand, 7/27/2005
photography by ginger

30004112-L.jpg

Geez, I think this should have been perfect, no posing, no collage, no whatever..........................in the case of this photo....well, I am making lemonade out of my photos, plus, I did have fun taking this photo. I have promised them a copy. This is two photos in one.

100 degrees today, w/o the humidity, very high, factored in. Everyone was complaining, except these kids in the Old Village of Mt Pleasant. They had a lemonade stand. Their parents were outside with them. And two dogs. I just didn't make it work as a candid: they were bad snapshots.

Should I make it sepia.....is a drink tasty?
Can I enter two collages in one year?

I hate the term "challenge worthy", so I am
not going to use it, but I can understand those
who do.

Comments???

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2005
    The concept seems good but the "drink" and "drinker" seem barely in the shot. It took me a second glance to catch the message. But then I am kind-of slow sometimes eek7.gif

But I'll bet mom will be happy of the shot of her cute kids.

fwiw
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2005
    I'll buy a cup or two :D
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2005
    more
    30029716-L.jpg
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I like this one & love the high-key approach. Cool shot!
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    30029716-S.jpg
    Ginger I love this shot but there is somthing going on with the left side of his/her? hair.. (his/her right) did you extract this shot or redo the background?
    edited July 28, 2005
    Lynn, if you look again, you could tell me what to do about the hair. I dropped the background out, just totally. You know, protected the kid, then turned it all white.

I have looked and looked at the hair, because I notice what you did.??? And I dropped some more of the hair out.......it still looked funny, guess it still does. It was past the middle of the night then.

I have no idea, and I just woke up, so I will look at the hair again in about an hour. Wish I had done a better job in general, but I do like this shot. I don't know why that one side does not look crisp when it drops out, the other side and all does.

ginger
  • amunsieamunsie Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2005
    I'm liking #2 better. I think it demonstrates the concept more clearly. Just my 3.4 cents...
    Macs Rule, Wintels drool

www.photograpbybywoodrock.com
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Lynn, if you look again, you could tell me what to do about the hair. I dropped the background out, just totally. You know, protected the kid, then turned it all white.

I have looked and looked at the hair, because I notice what you did.??? And I dropped some more of the hair out.......it still looked funny, guess it still does. It was past the middle of the night then.

I have no idea, and I just woke up, so I will look at the hair again in about an hour. Wish I had done a better job in general, but I do like this shot. I don't know why that one side does not look crisp when it drops out, the other side and all does.

ginger
    how did you do it.. you wanna pm me and we can talk about it? if you used a brush make sure it does not have a blurred edge.. you need a crisp brush.. did you use the "extraction" tool? pm me :D
    edited July 28, 2005
    I have not moved from this PC since I read my e-mails. I did feed the dogs. I have been on here all morning, and knowing me, I will work this to death, until/unless I leave the house tomorrow.

I just ate some toast. I have been working on this ONE picture, trying it every which way, I cannot show all the ways I have worked it. So this is one of the simpler frame styles.

30076612-L.jpg

And this is another:

30076600-L.jpg

This is a boy, all boy. Except made into high key, I can see where the confusion comes in.

I really should be spending my time printing a copy and starting over, hoping they are selling lemonade again. They had a bunch of money yesterday, but they live in an excellent neighborhood, so I don't think they want for much. It just looked like kids having fun outdoors with parents and dogs........and a lemonade stand.

No one was whining about the heat. 100 degrees and no whining. It was so refreshing. And I didn't come up with better than this. Oh, I am disgusted. Why are some of the best looking opportunities such a problem to actually work with. There were so many of them, they were all over the place, often with their backs to me. Or some front, some back.

This kid did not want his picture taken. Then I think "tasty" took over. I just snapped away.

But I even messed up technically. I mean if I can blur a wide angle shot in the afternoon, OHHHHHHHHHHH, I am so mad at myself. Only the large amt of shooting I do gave me a group photo for the parents...........if I can find them again.

I will PM you, Lynn.

ginger

Heat advisories (sp?) again today. I have my door open, too much work to close it and turn a/c up. That is how addicted I am to this stuff.

It is not worth it, I should go find these people, but that could be for naught, and it is too hot for birds. I got a photo of one bird yesterday, the bird was panting. I will work it up, if I ever let the kid go.

A "cold front" is supposed to come through tomorrow.
    edited July 29, 2005
    What I saw: 100 degrees, I flashed back in time......
    30149230-L.jpg

OK, what I think happened to me. I did not realize how late it was. So I had on like f16, to get very good DOF, but didn't realize that my shutter speed was only 1/30 sec a lot of the time.
    So, things that moved were not in perfect, or as the dogs even not in good focus. I like this photo, it talks to me of my childhood. My children's childhood........... I like the dogs in motion yet somehow framing the photo, so I can't crop it. Everyone is looking at the cup of "tasty", and it was. I don't even like lemonade, but it was very good.

I am thinking about using this one.

g
    edited July 29, 2005
    This is the colored shot I used. I did the color part first, if anyone would want a shot w/o the color worked on, please let me know. Below the photo, here, is the link to the shot on smugmug. Originals are available.

ginger
    30149233-L.jpg

http://gingerSnap.smugmug.com/photos/30149233-L.jpg

Maybe to get to the originals you have to get to the gallery, this is that link,

http://gingerSnap.smugmug.com/gallery/679396/10/30149233

That gallery is pretty full, but you don't have to wade through the whole thing, just go to like the last page, if it is not on that, it is on the next to last page.

I like the color, I just thought blk and white was more timeless.
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2005
    I think you could easily get the BW version to pop a little more Ginger by playing with the curves to up the contrast.
    edited July 30, 2005
    Good Food, Good Taste, All ways 7/30/2005
    30238122-L.jpg

Photography by ginger
    who loves funnel cakes
    and the bluegrass is/was great
    edited July 30, 2005
    Taste Of Heaven
    30243552-L.jpg