Texas Hill Country in Winter

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited January 18, 2010 in Landscapes
I've been out shooting twice this week--and what a difference in the weather! Beautiful one day and foggy, rainy the next. Here are just a few for your perusal. C&C welcomed.

Thanks,
Lauren

1. 3 exposure HDR - don't like the sky, I think it was my polarizer filter in the wrong position
764845953_g95DW-L.jpg

2. 3 exposure HDR - good clouds but color is still off
764844903_DZcrH-L.jpg

3. Two exposures processed in ACR, blended in PS, curves to gravel and barn, with Topaz Adjust effect - I think it could use a bit more sat although it is accurate to the scene
764850115_xZjQk-L.jpg

4. Rainy day on the Guadalupe River at Edge Falls crossing - ACR gradient, sharpening in PS
764872050_erVAT-L.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    Hi Lauren, I like the first three - certainly not overdone.

Cheers, Richard.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    Hey Lauren,

I really like the first shot thumb.gif

Great comp, HDR and colors.
    Randy
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    Thanks, Richard and Randy. Any thoughts on #4?

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    Hi Lauren,,

I like all these shots. #4 may not be as subject driven as the others, but, for someone who loves the hill country, it's a very nice shot of a typical scene. I think you've done really well with this series. I'm sure reminded of why I love that part of the country so much.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    Beautiful work Lauren thumb.gif
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    Hi Lauren. I really like #1 & #2 a lot, and #4. #3 bothers me a bit and at first I couldn't figure out why. When I took a long look at it, the perspective on the building makes it look like it's about to tip forward. Is it really leaning? Or is it something about the angle from which you took the shot?

I like the stone wall leading you to the building - it's just that angle 'feels' weird to me.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    Oh - and it's been in the -teensC here for the past two weeks and I'm becoming a wimp in my old age so I haven't been out crawling in the snow to take pics - although it's TIME to get out there soon!
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • SchnauzerSchnauzer Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    Nice work Lauren.

The first two are my favorites.

The HDR looks fine to me. Not overdone at all.
    RON
    edited January 17, 2010
    Thanks for the comments. Yes, the perspective in #3 is off--not just the building but the tree too! rolleyes1.gif It was shot with my Sigma 10-20. I was trying to get really close to the fence and bring it into the foreground but that skewed everything. If someone can tell me how to fix it in PS I will try it. This place is not too far away so I can easily go re-shoot.

For those of you who live in more scenic locales, shot #4 really doesn't appeal too much. I just liked the lines I achieved with the river's curve, as well as the fact that I actually found a river to shoot!! With so much drought for so long here, it's hard to find live water. Most of the named creeks I drive over are nothing but dust!

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited January 18, 2010
    Revised #3
    Here is a revised version of #3--don't know why I didn't do this the first time. I straightened and cropped it so the tree and barn no longer lean--didn't lose as much of the fence as I expected. I put a new Topaz Adjust layer on top and erased to soften the gravel and rock fence in some sections. Erased a bit of overdone sky. Left my previous curves adjustments and voila!

I am much happier with this one but would like to receive any suggestions for further improvement.

Thanks,
    Lauren

#3 reworked
    767627588_tGHDF-L.jpg

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com