Tell me what you think.

pepper44pepper44 Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
edited August 2, 2005 in People
How do you all feel about this picture? I can't decide if I like it a lot, or if I hate it.

zoo--july2005109majoreditQuicke-mai.jpg

Opinions please! :wxwax
--Amy

Comments

• CharlemagneCharlemagne Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2005
    For me the photo is great, I think with the little girl looking at the "Diet" soda bottle and thinking, while she is alone and there is the "group" across the street, it looks like she is at a crossroads, kind of like alice in wonderland..... I hope you understand where I am coming from on this.... or maybe I am just babbling!! Laughing.gif

Charles
  • jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2005
    pepper44 wrote:
    How do you all feel about this picture? I can't decide if I like it a lot, or if I hate it.

Subject is interesting, but did you really mean to make it that color?
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2005
    I definately don't think the green hue helps it and I would love to see the coke bottle turned to see the whole word coke otherwise I like her expression on the comp very much..Thnxs for sharing.
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2005
    I kind of like the green. Before digital, I experimented (with only limited results) with cross processing color film. This has a similar look. I like the picture - very creative.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2005
    I'm green with envy, she drank my "Diet Coke" rolleyes1.gif:D
    edited July 28, 2005
    I kind of like the green. Before digital, I experimented (with only limited results) with cross processing color film. This has a similar look. I like the picture - very creative.

I call it more like distracting, the green tone makes her look sick and wrecks the mood of the shot. Try this out instead.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2005
    I'm not a big fan of the green color....nor the coke bottle. I do like the girl's expression and composition. I like the color corrected post in this thread...but I'd clone out the coke bottle....and not just because I'm a Pepsi guy :)

Lee
  • technocrafttechnocraft Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2005
    I didn't like the green. Much better for me as posted later.

But I don't understand what's going on. The girl is fine, but either the coke bottle or the people's legs have got to go...
    -Tony
    http://images.tonyschreiber.com
    (technocraft.smugmug.com)
  • ltdesignphotoltdesignphoto Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2005
    I'm not too thrilled with the green but maybe try something like this. I think this is cool. It keeps the color of the green, a little more subtle, and accents the red on the bottle. It has a nice cool feel that makes the picture a little more relaxing than the strrong green tone from before. If you have photoshop, have two separate copies of your image, one workable and one that is the original RGB color. In Photoshop, I took and adjusted the green in the curves panel to return to a more natural color in the photo. You may have to adjust your levels as well. Once I had the original like I wanted, I took the copy and converted it to grayscale in the Mode menu button. After converting it, I converted it again to Duotone and chose Black, and a light green for the tones. I again adjusted my levels and finally converted the photo to RGB. After, I copied the original and placed it into the new work file, I erased the part of the picture around the bottle, loosely, with a soft eraser brush and set the layer to 75% on Overlay. This method can be applied to several different images using different colors. In the duotone mode, you're not limited to the colors you can choose. You can apply this however you need it. I hope this helps and that you continue to post these awesome pictures. If I can help any more please let me know. I don't know if you can do this in Elements or not. May be something to try.
    LINDSAY THOMPSON
    DESIGN • PHOTO • VIDEO
  • ltdesignphotoltdesignphoto Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2005
    This is an early attempt at the same process. Not a great image but it's good for example.
    LINDSAY THOMPSON
    DESIGN • PHOTO • VIDEO
    edited July 28, 2005
    I'm not too thrilled with the green but maybe try something like this.

Nice, I like that. I did something similar for a wedding picture that would have been kind of bland otherwise:

CRW_0996_10x10.sized.jpg
    In Photoshop, I took and adjusted the green in the curves panel to return to a more natural color in the photo.

I did the same but noted that the color was heavy in the blue as well as green. I toned that down too.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
    edited July 28, 2005
    This is an early attempt at the same process. Not a great image but it's good for example.

I think I would have colored both flowers. It distracts me that one of them is color and the other isn't, even though I realize that is the effect you were looking for. If the second flower were more out of focus I think I wouldn't mind.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • pepper44pepper44 Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2005
    Now that I look at it again, the green is a little overwhelming. Thanks for all the opinions and help! I think I'm going to reduce the green tint...I made it like that in the first place as an experiment. I've never really adjusted the colors in major ways before.
    --Amy
    edited July 29, 2005
    I fixed it up a bit....
    Ok, so I decided that the coke bottle really bothered me and I made an attempt to take it out. I had a hell of a time gettin' rid of it, but I think I did alright job. Not perfect, but to someone who isn't analyzing it to close you wouldn't notice. I had a big problem with the pair of boots behind the coke bottle...they were hard to clone and I just gave up because I was making it worse. It bothers me! Does it stand out to you all?
    I also took out a lot of green.

zoo--july2005109majoredit3.jpg

It's still sorta greenish, but not as sickly.
    Is it better now??
    --Amy
  • technocrafttechnocraft Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2005
    pepper44 wrote:
    zoo--july2005109majoredit3.jpg

It's still sorta greenish, but not as sickly.
    Is it better now??
    --Amy

The mystery of the image is now far more appealing (sans coke bottle). ;)
    -Tony
    http://images.tonyschreiber.com
    (technocraft.smugmug.com)
    edited July 29, 2005
    The mystery of the image is now far more appealing (sans coke bottle). ;)

What he said. I think this is a much more powerful image on three levels. Primary focus is the girl whose the expression gets you wondering what she's thinking, and the coloring is just a little surreal. But after you get through that you notice the legs in the background and ... what are those about?

I like it. (And nice job on the removal. Even knowing what to look for it's not obvious there was something there.)
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2005
    Much better....and a very good job removing the bottle.

Lee
    edited July 30, 2005
    Thanks--I think it looks tons better with out the coke bottle too. I can't believe I managed to get rid of it. clap.gif
    --Amy
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2005
    Hi Amy.. what do you have for software for your post processing? if you have photoshop you could try using the "patch" tool to clone out those boots.. or you could "burn" them down to darker with the burn tool... what do you have?
    I like the crop by the way ... I'm still out on the green but not decided yet :D
    edited July 30, 2005
    I have Microsoft Digital Image Pro 10. My parents gave me it as a christmas present last year before I really got in to photography. It does a lot of stuff, although I don't think it's as complex as photoshop.
  • MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2005
    I like the shot, but the green hue is questionable in my opinion. I love the shot better in true color.
    edited August 2, 2005
    Maestro wrote:
    I like the shot, but the green hue is questionable in my opinion. I love the shot better in true color.
    Thanks Maestro, the green hue in the first picture is really strong, I agree.
    --Amy