Bought my first DSLR, Nikon D3000!!

liz14liz14 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited February 5, 2010 in Cameras
Or rather, my dad did:P
Went to the store today and compared the Nikon d3000 and the Canon Rebel xs, and also an olympus that was suggested to me in another thread. I definitely preferred the Nikon. Felt great in hand. It seemed like a great/ easy camera for learning and keeping things not too complicated:P and yet there is lots to learn. It came with an 18-55 lens. I'm really excited to try it out and start learning!!
liz

Comments

• GambrelGambrel Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    Congrats!clap.gif Welcome to the wonderful world of Nikon. Be sure to check out www.NikonCafe.com. Lots of info over there also.
    D90, D40, SB-600, SB-400, 50mm 1.8 and a couple of kit lenes.:thumb
  • BsimonBsimon Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    Congratulations! That 18-55 Lens is suprisingly good. That kit will suit you very well!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited January 15, 2010
    Congratulations Liz. clap.gif

I strongly encourage you to also purchase a flash to go with your camera. A compatible flash, used properly, can help you to produce professional results, indoors and out.

Flashes I would recommend:

Nikon SB-900
    Nikon SB-800
    Nikon SB-600
    Sigma EF 530 DG Super "NA" (dedicated for Nikon automation)

I also recommend the use of flash modifiers:

You can create your own light modifiers (DIY). A couple that I can recommend are:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/908195739C4C0D3

http://abetterbouncecard.com/

Joe Demb also makes an interesting device for sale (reasonable):

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit/

I own a FlipIt product and it works well and is very well made.

A site showing various modifiers in use:

http://www.the-meissners.org/2006-small-albums/2006-flashmod/index.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • LadukebobLadukebob Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    good for you, I bought a D90 last month and have become addicted to learning everything at once. Wished I started with all this at a much younger age but oh well. Have fun!

And as mentioned above the NikonCafe is a good place for Nikon related info.
    Nikon D90
    18-105 mm
    85 mm 1.8
    10-20 mm
    35 mm 1.8

kleinsmith.zenfolio.com
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    congrats and welcome to dgrin! you definitely did the 'right' thing in handling all three cameras and picking the one you wanted based on feel. When it comes down to several cameras that are pretty much the same, that's the BEST thing to do. clap.gif
    //Leah
  • jdorseydesignjdorseydesign Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    Congrats on the purchase! Your first lens should be the Nikon 35mm f1.8. I would normally suggest the 50mm 1.8, but it won't autofocus on the D3000. I use the 35mm f1.8 on my D40x, and I love it. It's an excellent lens for the price (around $200).
    J Dorsey Design Photography • jdorseydesign.com • Facebook Fan/Friend • Twitter @bartdorsey
  • skysailorskysailor Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    Well Liz, you only turn 18 once. You don't get to "open" your new camera till the 4th of Feb, so you'll just have to use the old P&S till then. Enjoy the Field Guide in the meantime. It's going to be fun to share this new pastime with you! Love you! Your Dad.iloveyou.giflust
    Gear: D200, G9, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikkor 35 f/1.8, Vivitar Series 1 28-105 f/2.8-3.8, Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    skysailor wrote:
    Well Liz, you only turn 18 once. You don't get to "open" your new camera till the 4th of Feb, so you'll just have to use the old P&S till then. Enjoy the Field Guide in the meantime. It's going to be fun to share this new pastime with you! Love you! Your Dad.iloveyou.giflust

Oh, "Dad", that's just torture!

I got my first slr for my 18th from my grandfather. What an amazing gift. Looking forward to seeing your posts in the future.

Caroline
  • MiaRoseMiaRose Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    skysailor wrote:

Now this really made me smile!
  • Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    skysailor wrote:

What a cool gift, Dad. Kudos. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
  • waygard33waygard33 Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2010
    Nice job Dad! I did the same for my daughter last Christmas. She loved it. She took so many photos I soon had to follow up the camera with a 2nd gift...her own Smugmug account.thumb.gif It really does never end....iloveyou.gif

Wayne in Oregon
  • Daddy0Daddy0 Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2010
    Congrats on your camera.clap.gif I got our families first DSLR at Thanksgiving - a D90. Now my 4 yr old has taken over the old P&S and snaps photos continuously until the batteries run out, the card fills up or we take it away. Surprisingly, a few shots have been pretty good.
    Jimmie D.
    www.focusedonyourmemories.com

What you see depends on what you're looking for.
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    I suggest you also get an external hard drive to handle all the files to come.
    Way to go Dadclap.gif
    I guarantee that you will have a good time sharing this pastime.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • skysailorskysailor Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    Liziloveyou.gif hit 18 today. Opened her new Nikon and went completely WILD! I've created a monster. Shots include many cats. Inside of fridge. It's not natural I tells ya!
    Gear: D200, G9, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikkor 35 f/1.8, Vivitar Series 1 28-105 f/2.8-3.8, Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3
  • FLYING EYEBALLFLYING EYEBALL Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    skysailor wrote:
    Liziloveyou.gif hit 18 today. Opened her new Nikon and went completely WILD! I've created a monster. Shots include many cats. Inside of fridge. It's not natural I tells ya!

w00T! clap.gif

Good for her!

HBD Liz :ivar
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    Welcome, to the Dark Side,
    and Happy Belated Birthday,
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com