The Dunder Mifflin Lace Company

ktskts Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
edited January 15, 2010 in Landscapes
Not many people know this but before Robert Dunder met Robert Mifflin, Dunder had a very lucrative business making lace.

763615603_Ss3nE-O.jpg

763615766_6twmD-O.jpg

763615675_8vdrG-O.jpg

763615728_3oa8y-O.jpg

763615786_SEaSE-O.jpg

763615580_dB4qS-O.jpg

763615655_KBAct-O.jpg

763615564_wqGCA-O.jpg

763615599_6Ww6G-O.jpg

763615642_arW7P-O.jpg

11. Always thought it was very random that this place had a bowling alley inside of it, I guess Dunder liked to bowl.
763615628_gMK9R-O.jpg

This was a quick trip, turns out part of this place isn't as abandoned as we thought it was.

Fortunately this place is slated to be turned into a condo/shopping area once the economy picks back up and most of the machinery (some made as early as the 1850s) is being turned over to the local historical society.

(For those who don't want, Dunder Mifflin is the paper company that everyone works for in the US version of The Office.)

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    Yanno, I saw the name "Pennypacker" the other day and pretty much lol'd. Not even sure if you remember that! :D

Anyway, great stuff. I really miss exploring so keep 'em coming!
  • PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    I've seen a couple of factories like this in my area. Always makes me sad, as it represents jobs/income/lives that have been affected with the continuing outsourcing of manufacturing in this country.

Love the images, #3 drives the point home, wouldn't you say?
    http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln
  • ktskts Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    schmoo wrote:
    Yanno, I saw the name "Pennypacker" the other day and pretty much lol'd. Not even sure if you remember that! :D

Anyway, great stuff. I really miss exploring so keep 'em coming!

How could I ever forget that! rolleyes1.gif

I have a bunch of stuff to post up, I took a lot of 2009 off from exploring for a bunch of different things but have been slowly processing photos from exploring and trips. I'll get to get back in the habit of posting them. :)

You guys need to come back here and visit and explore!
    I've seen a couple of factories like this in my area. Always makes me sad, as it represents jobs/income/lives that have been affected with the continuing outsourcing of manufacturing in this country.

Love the images, #3 drives the point home, wouldn't you say?

It does start to wear on your seeing all these huge factories shut down as jobs were moved overseas. I haven't been up to Detroit yet but so much of that city is like that, much like the coal-regions in PA where they have been hit hard are things are closed down.

Thanks and I really renjoyed all the various patterns and closeups I could take here of the machinery. I'm glad most of it will be saved.
  • ShawnThompsonPhotographyShawnThompsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    Wow, these are fun. I love #5

I love decay and old buildings. Nice work.
  • Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    Great shots. It looks like the travelling gnome found his way into the top right corner of #11. rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif